设万维读者为首页 广告服务 技术服务 联系我们 关于万维
简体 繁体 手机版
分类广告
版主:大川
万维读者网 > 加国移民 > 帖子
How much we need to save for retirement
送交者: jingchen 2019年05月25日08:56:29 于 [加国移民] 发送悄悄话

How much we need to save for retirement?

Suppose we are a family with two kids. We spend about 20% of our after tax income to cover mortgage payments. For the remaining 80%, we spend our money equally split between ourselves and our kids. In short, we spend about 40% of the after tax income on ourselves.

How much money we have for retirement from our mandatory pensions? We contribute more than 10% (10.2% this year) of our income to CPP (Canada Pension Plan). Our company retirement plans vary for different companies. Typically, total contributions from both employees and employers top 10% of our income. Together, that’s 20% of our income. Suppose we start to work at 30 and retire at 65. That is 35 years of working and contributing to the retirement plans. Our average lifespan is 82 years old. This translates to 17 (82-65) years of retirement living. With 35 working years and 17 retirement years, the ratio of contribution time to payout time is roughly 2 (35/17). Suppose the investment return from retirement funds is 0%, adjusted for inflation. Then our retirement benefits would be 20%*2= 40% of our income level. This is the same as our pre-retirement living standard. Here we haven’t included OAS (Old Age Security) payment yet. We also haven’t considered the option to monetize the home equity capital accumulated over the years. 

For a family with two children, the retirement income from mandatory pensions alone will ensure our retirement living standards higher than that of pre-retirement era. We don’t need to save extra money.

We also have the opportunity to invest in tax exempt RRSP (Registered Retirement Saving Plan). Only 5% of the RRSP quotas are used. Even many people without children don’t use the RRSP quotas. Overall, most Canadians would like to spend more on improving today’s life and the life of next generation, instead of hoarding for retirement. 

Furthermore, Canada already suffers from below replacement fertility for several decades. This makes our society unsustainable. Young families should be relieved from heavy taxation and deductions so they can have more resources to raise next generations. 

Shouldn’t the government reduce the amount of CPP deduction so people can enjoy more financial freedom? Instead, CPP deductions have been increasing over time.

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
北美最全的折扣机票网站
贝佳药业美国专利【骨精华】消关节痛、骨刺、五十肩【心血通】改善心绞痛
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖
2018: 老子《道德经》第五十六章 知者不言 言
2018: 孔明挥泪斩马谡,图书馆之三