设万维读者为首页 广告服务 技术服务 联系我们 关于万维
简体 繁体 手机版
分类广告
版主:大川
万维读者网 > 加国移民 > 帖子
We choose Canada
送交者: NoName 2006年03月23日01:29:18 于 [加国移民] 发送悄悄话

Donna's story - 3rd Generation Canadian

My grandparents immigrated from Britain, Ireland and Wales. They all wanted a fresh start, a new country to build a new life in.

I have always taken Canada for granted, enjoying all of the gifts Canada has to offer, and never thinking about those who come here from other countries who have never had what I have. My life has been wonderful, with an opportunity to achieve my dreams, to be an entrepreneur, a successful business woman, a mentor, and a speaker; to have healthy children and grandchildren and to know that Canada is a safe environment for my entire network of friends, family and associates.

I choose Canada, because we are free to choose – our religion, our beliefs, our lifestyle. Canada is a country that welcomes new cultures, embraces the similarities and finds ways to blend and meld the differences. We are a unique country – young, enthusiastic and proud. We don’t often sing our own praises, but we can – in many dialects, and with many different voices. I am proud of my country and I Choose Canada!

Debbie's story - 4th generation Canadian

I have lived in Canada all my life. During this time, I have had the opportunity to travel to many parts of the world. I embark on these trips to learn about new cultures, often new languages, meet new people, explore new landscapes and gain a greater understanding of the history of that country. To me, this is a fascinating way to appreciate the vastness of the world that we live in.

I have always said that, "the best part of being away, is coming home". Coming home to Canada. The more I travel, the more I appreciate the freedom that Canada offers. We have the freedom to travel abroad and be warmly welcomed as a "friendly Canadian". We have the freedom to grow personally and professionally without restrictions. There is the freedom to experience the various cultures, religions and backgrounds of the people who live in our country. I believe that this valuable freedom builds an underlying respect for each other, enabling us to live peacefully. This freedom can easily be taken for granted, as I have experienced that not all countries offer their residents the similar freedom that I enjoy by living in Canada. I am proud to be Canadian and to have chosen to live in Canada.

Nina's Story - Born in India - came to Canada from Kuwait, now a Canadian

I first visited Canada in the summer of 1985. I loved the country so much that I returned for a visit few years later. I decided to immigrate and finally moved from Kuwait to Canada in 1999 with suitcases and big dreams. I've met a lot of wonderful people who have become my friends for life! There are so many cultures here that we are like one world, yet we are all united by a common bond of being Canadian. Since moving here, my life has gone through a 360 degree turnaround and I'm a whole new person. I'm doing what I love and enjoying every moment of it.

Bob’s story – Canadian

Canada is safe and it’s clean. The Canadian government, and the fellow residents of this country, are, for the most part, strong supporters of the free enterprise system that is the foundation of this country. Because of this, I am allowed to freely express my own views.

I work in a business where freedom of speech and interactive exchange of ideas in encouraged. I consider myself very lucky to be able to do what I do for a living because the values of our country support it. Believe it or not, there are many broadcasters throughout the world who do not enjoy these same freedoms.

And after work, I am happy in knowing that I can go home to a clean, safe neighbourhood with an exceptional school system and where everything my family needs is nearby.

Bob is a radio host on Hometown Drive Home, am900 CHML Radio,
Hamilton, Ontario.

Vincenza’s story - 1st Generation Canadian. Parents came to Canada from Italy

Canada is my country of choice. One can say that the decision was made for me before I was born, but, I argue that I have consciously chosen to be Canadian. My parents both immigrated to Canada from different regions of Italy, met, married and raised a family in Sault Ste. Marie. As “Canadian” as I am, there has always been a strong Italian undercurrent which I have successfully reconciled. Striking a balance between the two cultures has been a constant exercise in patience, persistence and determination. Securing dual citizenship has symbolically linked the two cultures to my identity, yet, when I travel, it’s always under the Canadian passport. I have been fortunate to have the freedom to pursue higher education and to have a career that has taken me to places in the world, that have reaffirmed my appreciation for the “Canadian way of life”.

Shiri's story - came to Canada from Israel

Growing up in Tel-Aviv, Israel, I was surrounded by the charm of the Mediterranean sea, by coffee shops that are open 24 hours a day, and by warm and helping people. I was also accustomed to heat waves that reached 40 degrees, the necessity to be somewhat assertive if you wanted to reach any where, and of course – the perpetual threat to the safety of the people, which resulted in endless marathon to ‘seize the day.’ In 1991, right after the Gulf War, my parent decided to treat our exhausted family which included myself (then16) and my two younger brothers to a trip abroad to the US and Canada. We had my father’s sister who lived in Toronto since 1989 and offered us her home for the visit.

We first arrived in Banff, and were captivated by the magnificent breath-taking serenity of the Rocky Mountains and Lake Louise. From there, we came to Toronto, where large, wide roads and polite(er) drivers welcomed us. We enjoyed our month long stay and upon returning to Israel, it seemed that we could not let go of the memories… My parents proceeded to apply for the legality of arriving to live in Canada and it took three years for the procedure to complete.

In 1994, with me still serving in the Israeli Army, my family immigrated to Canada. I joined them a few months later with strong longing for that country which magically palpitated itself into my heart: CANADA. Where I finally met first hand with mother-nature. Where I learned about patience, about grace, about appreciating the small miracles of daily living: such as driving on the #401 merely an hour away from my home and looking at cows, horses, and even deer; having cheerful squirrels visiting my yard, stepping onto a shopping mall, a bus, the subway, with the given understanding that I am safe; of having the opportunity to pursue my dreams, my education, and finding my own self within the boundaries of impossibility.

Yvonne's Story - First Nations Canadian, Namgis and Peguis Nation Ancestry

From Beginning of Time and Through the Changes!!! I belong to Canada.
The reason for this is that I am a First Nations Woman known as Life-Giver and Caretaker to my children, family and community. I can trace my ancestry to beginning of time to this great land through the legends of my family. Despite the challenges, we have managed to continue to hold the treasures of our culture close to our heart and pass them on to our children. We call ourselves Canadian proudly as we share our stories of how our ancestors help shape the lands of today in unity with many nations.

The First Nation has survived the misunderstandings, trials and tribulations of the time. The methods of the ancestors of the process may not have been honorable. It may have caused conflict with the First Nations meanings to all of those who are, the teachings are to respect and take care of each other and the land. However we have witnessed though time the growing pains of this Country and when the time has been right and the opportunity presents itself Canada has made the wrongs right. It is a slow process and we continue to work in that direction today. It is these teachings that have made Canada Strive for the success that it is today.

From first contact we have role modelled the "Canadian Attitude" of being a welcoming country. It is evident by how we live in harmony and unity. We have also witnessed the many successes of this. There is freedom for all ethnic groups to celebrate who they are. We as Canadian have undergone many changes to understand each other and to respect the differences and honor them, such as the Treaty Settlement of the Nisga People and the ability for "Two Spirited" relationships to share their lives together in marriage. These changes have let the Canadian People and People of the World know that we do not pass judgment on their beliefs.

We hold our head high and let our spirits lead the way for the better of all and continue to welcome change for the good and that is what makes me proud to live in Canada and to be called a First Nations Canadian.

"I am Canadian"

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖
2005: 一位热血青年的真实故事