设万维读者为首页 广告服务 技术服务 联系我们 关于万维
简体 繁体 手机版
分类广告
版主:无极
万维读者网 > 史地人物 > 帖子
Holmes stories: The number of children
送交者: jingchen 2018年03月07日11:49:20 于 [史地人物] 发送悄悄话

I listened quite a lot of Holmes short stories recently. One thing strikes me. In many stories, the main characters are not married or don’t have children. To start with, Holmes himself is a bachelor.

I listened to the stories while I was going to sleep. Many details may not be correct. Anyway, here is what I remember. On YouTube, many of the Holmes stories are numbered. I put down the numbers as well as the titles for easy reference.

1. A scandal in bohemia. The king and his former lover, both were getting married, were not young.

2. The red headed league. The main character, an old man, is a bachelor.

9. The engineer ‘s thumb. The engineer is a bachelor. In that story, the criminal targeted bachelors, probably because nobody would look for them seriously if they are missing.

14. The cardboard box. Of the three sisters, only one is married and childless. The tragedy occurred probably because one sister is not married and the other one is childless.

15. The yellow face. The couple is married for three years, childless. The lady has one daughter from previous marriage.

25. The empty house. The murdered victim, a wealthy man, break off an engagement.

27. The Dancing Men. The couple in the story don’t have children.

37. The second stain. The secretary of European affairs and his wife don’t have children. The killed spy, who was 34, was not married.

The vanishing of the Atkinsons. The Atkinson brothers are not married. One of the brothers left a girl pregnant before their disappearance.

The mystery of the Addleton curse. The son of the archeologist, as well as himself, died of uranium radiation.

Overall, the number of children in Holmes’ stories are very small. 

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖
2017: 左雄公正任用 朝廷多得人才
2017: ZT:志愿军老兵张泽石:我们不该与美国