简体 繁体 手机版
分类广告
版主:红树林
万维读者网 > 五 味 斋 > 帖子
Speech─Growth(演讲稿─成长)
送交者: 天边的红霞 2020年05月09日07:56:22 于 [五 味 斋] 发送悄悄话

2015-11-26

Aiden in English

Every person is a kid somewhere. Yes, I borrowed that phrase from the Powerade® commercial, but it’s true. Kids, in which we grow from, change. I know because I am one, and if you know me long enough, you can say that I’ve changed. Yeah, although I still have the same face as five or seven years ago, I guarantee you, my personality has changed.

In the past, I seemed like a scientist of wondrous and complex ideas, full of formulas, postulates, and hypotheses. Was I really? Sorry to disappoint all of the Chinese parents, but the answer is that I am not an Einstein, Oppenheimer, and Edison all crammed into one. What I am, or rather, was, a very imaginative kid. As life went on, you could say that many dreams of mine dissipated, some even arguably crushed beneath the feet of science itself. With my imagination, I pictured a world of good and evil, the typical five-year-old philosophy, where I had superpowers unlike any other. I wished for powers like laser beams, or teleportation, and still even at this age, it would be cool to have one or the other, just for other reasons. 

Nowadays, my wish list diverges from the impossible to a phone, which in my household, is considered the other impossibility. Well, until high school, that is. People say it will come quickly, but by the pace, middle school has been going, I’m not seeing on the future calendar for a while. As a matter of fact, I don’t desperately need a phone. However, I can begin to see how it would be nice to have one. For example, earlier this week, my school bus sort of broke down on the way back home. Stuck on the side of the road, and the nearest bus clueless to where we were, I had no way of contacting my mom for a rescue vehicle. We were within walking distance, but instead, the bus driver gladly made us sit in our seats for an hour. She yells a lot, and I theorized that she planned this break down for us to be tortured. I mean, seriously, were there really no buses in the hour drive’s radius? Stuck without a phone, my friends’ parents one by one came and took their children into safety and heaven, while I on the contrast remained stuck in a yellow “boiler room” in which another bus came in an hour. Also, I was quite bored for the second half of the hour, as all my friends had left and I finished probably one of the greatest books I’d read. 

Now you might ask how this tie into my personality. Well, my need for the phone was very recent, and it was because of the sudden increase of the social media chatter at school. I find that I’m growing a sense of “want-to-know”. I want to know the new vibe as fast as I can. I want to be able to lookup last night’s football scores in an instant. I want to know if Kate broke up with Robbie (which is going to be true), or if Megan slapped Joseph. I want to know if Collin was hit by a car again. I want to know if Chip Kelly is going to get fired. Without a phone, I won’t catch on to things unless they’re spoken face to face with me. 

As for the future, well, it’s a long trip away. I have one condition for what’s next: no promises. It’s just a precaution safety I must take so when I epically and gloriously fail in the end, I’ll have some pillows to cushion my fall. As a child, I wanted technology crazily beyond what we had at the time. Unlike my other dreams, this particular one was not crushed, and instead snowballed into a desire. I want to revolutionize the world’s technology to new, stunning eras in which life could be simply cooler. I want to know. I want to know the world’s secrets, the universe’s, and ours. With the advanced technology, I want this generation to be the one that discovers what the last one did not. I want to know. And if our ability can reach that far, maybe I can fulfill that childish dream of being a super hero with inventions of unimaginable wonder.

【红霞译文】

每个人或多或少都带有童真性,是的,我引用了“动乐”饮料的广告词句,不过它讲得千真万确,一方水土养一方人,对之我深有体会。如果你了解我,那么肯定看得出我在成长中的变化,没错儿,尽管自己的长相与五年前或者七年前类似,但我敢保证本人的个性已发生改变。

过去,我很像一位富有奇念善于思考的科学家,满脑子离不开公式、假设、推论之类的东西,难道我真是这样?对不起,我的答案令中国父母大失所望,因为我从未集爱因斯坦、奥本海默及爱迪生于一体,相反倒是或者情愿成为一位怀揣梦想的少年。随着时间推移,你不难察觉我的很多幻想一个个地化成泡影,有的甚完全经不起科学推敲。凭借个人想象力,我对世界的认识仍然停留在好坏之分上,理念思维与五岁顽童没啥两样,而且还自以为能力超常,当然我所期盼的能力无异于激光束或瞬间移动。基于其它原因,即便长到现在这把年纪,我一直对形形色色的特异功能想入非非。

如今,我的愿望排行表已从离谱的空想转入实用的手机,但对于我家,它却属于超现实范畴,恐怕在未进入高中之前,我只能可望而不可即。常言道,光阴似箭岁月如梭,初中拖泥带水的节奏叫我一时看不到盼头。说实在的,我并非需要手机,然而我正开始意识到它的优势所在。举个例子,本周初在放学的路上校车意外抛锚,出于无奈,大家停靠路边静候附近其它校车送我们回家,我无法联系妈妈救急,但从事发地点可以直接步行到家,司机还是劝我们上车等候一个钟头。期间,她动不动发火,令我禁不住猜测莫非成心折磨大家,难道方圆一小时车程距离以内真的没有任何校车可以挺身而出?眼见同学们一个接着一个被父母带到安全可靠的世外桃源,没有手机的我被撇在黄包“蒸笼”里遭受一个钟头苦难煎熬,问题在于后半个小时更加无聊透顶,害得我闷头一口气干掉这辈子大概读过的最精彩的著作。

现在你也许要问,这怎么能跟我的个性挂起钩来。这么说吧,直到最近我才萌生想要手机的欲望,主要因为它一下子成为初中学校社交媒介,而我也到了“想要把握”事情来龙去脉的年龄。我想与大家同呼吸共命运;我想了解昨晚橄榄球赛比分结果;我想知道凯特是否跟罗比分手(事实果真如此)或者梅根是否扇了约瑟夫一记耳光;我想八卦柯林是否又跟汽车过意不去;我想目睹费城老鹰队快速进攻教头凯利是否落个被解雇的下场。没有手机,我无法享受得到第一手资料的快感,除非有人直面告诉我所发生的一切。

放眼未来,真可谓路漫漫其修远兮,我应对梦想看得客观一点:别抱希望。有了心理准备,即使遇到史无前例非得尝试的挫折,我也能找到办法减少伤害。儿提时代,我渴望天花乱坠超脱实际的东西;青春年少,我追求一种执着,像滚雪球一样,希望梦想成真。我想要推动世界科技水平进入一个全新震撼人心的时代,让生活变得更加美好。“天地玄黄,宇宙洪荒;日月盈昃,辰宿列张”。我要探索,去揭开地球、宇宙以及我们自身更多的奥秘。我想要利用高科技知识,让我们这一代承上启下,完成前人未竟的事业。我要探索。假如人类有能力做到这些,也许我真能成为开拓未来发明奇迹的超级英雄。

2015-10-20_Rose Trail-20001.JPG

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖
2019: 股市下跌的受害者是投机分子,丝毫不会