分類廣告
版主:紅樹林
萬維讀者網 > 五 味 齋 > 帖子
New Hope, PA(賓州新希望鎮)
送交者: 天邊的紅霞 2020年06月05日09:00:36 於 [五 味 齋] 發送悄悄話

2016-11-12

New Hope0001.JPG

【Aiden in English】

New Hope sits on the Pennsylvania side of the Delaware River, where literally anyone can see, across the river, the rival New Jersey.

It was at this Delaware River where many people believe the turning point of the civil war occurred. On a freezing day in one of coldest winters in American history, Washington led the Continental Army across the river into Pennsylvania to ambush a group of German mercenaries. I find this funny how nowadays, we just use automobiles to drive across a bridge, while Washington had to have small boats and freezing water sprayed in his face to cross Delaware. From that point, he made a trek from the German camp to Valley Forge, where he stayed the rest of the winter shelter. The soldiers trained under harsh conditions and the Continental Army in the spring turned the war. As the story goes, I realize it quite coincidental how the small town on the bank of the river is called New Hope. Or perhaps it was intended to be called this name.

The small town is supposed to be an extremely rich town, with a great school system, and an easy route across the state border. Not that it matters with Trump at his presidency, all borders may as well be “walled” off from each other. I will say, the Great Wall of America is probably not going to happen. But the layout has already been laid down on East Bridge Street, the New Hope-Lambertville Bridge with a line dividing the two neighboring states. The tourists crowded around the line, hopping from one side to the other. I sniff this quite odd how most people parked on the New Jersey side, walked across the bridge and found themselves in New Hope on the Pennsylvanian side. Nevertheless, the two states I’ve lived my life in, joining together.

New Hope’s small center is quite…cute. Not going to lie, there isn’t much around. Unlike towns such as Lansdale, the downtown, although containing shops, doesn’t seem to be very large. On the flip side, there seems to be an overly large amount of folks who want to loiter between shops on the streets. I understand most of them who come here are just to exercise or see the shops, but I could’ve been fooled. Above all, the atmosphere of the town is amazing, with families strolling through the streets. The futuristic scene along the river, mixed with overarching childish laughter, the town was illuminated with spirit. Frankly speaking, things may grow very grim in the coming winter when all the color gets sucked out of nature, so I really think this would be a great time of year to see New Hope.

Down at the center, the one booming business was Starbucks. Dad and I stopped to warm up and take a break. Maybe this shows the coming season, as winter is approaching.

【紅霞譯文】

新希望鎮坐落在特拉華河賓夕法尼亞州一側,由對面新澤西州過河的行人都能看到它。

很多人堅信特拉華河堪稱國內戰爭的轉折點,在美國歷史上那個最為嚴酷的冬天,華盛頓率領大陸軍橫跨特拉華河向賓州屬地挺進,狠狠打擊普魯士僱傭軍。聽來實在有趣,如今我們從橋上驅車過河,而當年華盛頓必須劃着小船忍受寒氣撲面的冰水。打那時起,他勢如破竹,從普魯士兵營長驅直入福吉谷戰場,並滯留於此禦寒過冬。面對條件惡劣的天氣,大陸軍苦練殺敵本領,準備來年春天投入戰鬥。隨着故事情節深入發展,我幡然意識到那個扼守河岸的小鎮緣何起名叫“新希望”。

新希望鎮學區上乘,出入兩州交通便利,手頭肯定富得流油,這跟唐納德·特朗普當選總統並無關係,反正所有邊境都用“城牆”把彼此區分開來,依我看大概用不着修建“美國長城”,不過東橋路上確實設有記號,那是新希望──蘭伯特維爾橋劃分兩州的地標線,蜂擁而至的遊客從地標線的一邊跳到另一邊,我真搞不明白為什麼大多數人先把車泊在新州步行過橋,然後再來賓州新希望鎮駐足。不管怎樣,這兩個州與我個人生活密不可分。

新希望鎮中心小巧玲瓏,毋庸吹噓,好玩的東西委實有限。不像蘭斯代爾等其它小城,其鬧市區雖有商家店鋪,但一個挨一個門臉都不算大,倒是正中愛逛街市的人下懷,我覺得大部分觀光客無非前來遛彎到此一游,當然我這麼說未必恰當。總而言之,小鎮氛圍相當愜意,全家老少在逛街壓馬路之餘盡享閒情逸緻,風景如畫的特拉華河烘托出孩子們歡聲笑語,到處呈現出喜氣洋洋的溫馨景象。實不相瞞,等秋色盡逝冬季來臨,諸事不盡人意,眼下或許成為一年當中遊覽小鎮的大好時節。

鎮中心“星巴克”咖啡店生意興隆,我和爸爸順道進來暖和一下藉機小憩片刻,看來冬天就要來了。

相關博文:

Pittsburgh, PA(賓州匹茲堡)

A Day in Philadelphia(記費城一天)

Jim Thorpe, PA(賓州吉姆索普鎮)

0%(0)
0%(0)
標 題 (必選項):
內 容 (選填項):
實用資訊
回國機票$360起 | 商務艙省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出爐:海航獲五星
海外華人福利!在線看陳建斌《三叉戟》熱血歸回 豪情築夢 高清免費看 無地區限制