分类广告
版主:红树林
万维读者网 > 五 味 斋 > 帖子
New Hope, PA(宾州新希望镇)
送交者: 天边的红霞 2020年06月05日09:00:36 于 [五 味 斋] 发送悄悄话

2016-11-12

New Hope0001.JPG

【Aiden in English】

New Hope sits on the Pennsylvania side of the Delaware River, where literally anyone can see, across the river, the rival New Jersey.

It was at this Delaware River where many people believe the turning point of the civil war occurred. On a freezing day in one of coldest winters in American history, Washington led the Continental Army across the river into Pennsylvania to ambush a group of German mercenaries. I find this funny how nowadays, we just use automobiles to drive across a bridge, while Washington had to have small boats and freezing water sprayed in his face to cross Delaware. From that point, he made a trek from the German camp to Valley Forge, where he stayed the rest of the winter shelter. The soldiers trained under harsh conditions and the Continental Army in the spring turned the war. As the story goes, I realize it quite coincidental how the small town on the bank of the river is called New Hope. Or perhaps it was intended to be called this name.

The small town is supposed to be an extremely rich town, with a great school system, and an easy route across the state border. Not that it matters with Trump at his presidency, all borders may as well be “walled” off from each other. I will say, the Great Wall of America is probably not going to happen. But the layout has already been laid down on East Bridge Street, the New Hope-Lambertville Bridge with a line dividing the two neighboring states. The tourists crowded around the line, hopping from one side to the other. I sniff this quite odd how most people parked on the New Jersey side, walked across the bridge and found themselves in New Hope on the Pennsylvanian side. Nevertheless, the two states I’ve lived my life in, joining together.

New Hope’s small center is quite…cute. Not going to lie, there isn’t much around. Unlike towns such as Lansdale, the downtown, although containing shops, doesn’t seem to be very large. On the flip side, there seems to be an overly large amount of folks who want to loiter between shops on the streets. I understand most of them who come here are just to exercise or see the shops, but I could’ve been fooled. Above all, the atmosphere of the town is amazing, with families strolling through the streets. The futuristic scene along the river, mixed with overarching childish laughter, the town was illuminated with spirit. Frankly speaking, things may grow very grim in the coming winter when all the color gets sucked out of nature, so I really think this would be a great time of year to see New Hope.

Down at the center, the one booming business was Starbucks. Dad and I stopped to warm up and take a break. Maybe this shows the coming season, as winter is approaching.

【红霞译文】

新希望镇坐落在特拉华河宾夕法尼亚州一侧,由对面新泽西州过河的行人都能看到它。

很多人坚信特拉华河堪称国内战争的转折点,在美国历史上那个最为严酷的冬天,华盛顿率领大陆军横跨特拉华河向宾州属地挺进,狠狠打击普鲁士雇佣军。听来实在有趣,如今我们从桥上驱车过河,而当年华盛顿必须划着小船忍受寒气扑面的冰水。打那时起,他势如破竹,从普鲁士兵营长驱直入福吉谷战场,并滞留于此御寒过冬。面对条件恶劣的天气,大陆军苦练杀敌本领,准备来年春天投入战斗。随着故事情节深入发展,我幡然意识到那个扼守河岸的小镇缘何起名叫“新希望”。

新希望镇学区上乘,出入两州交通便利,手头肯定富得流油,这跟唐纳德·特朗普当选总统并无关系,反正所有边境都用“城墙”把彼此区分开来,依我看大概用不着修建“美国长城”,不过东桥路上确实设有记号,那是新希望──兰伯特维尔桥划分两州的地标线,蜂拥而至的游客从地标线的一边跳到另一边,我真搞不明白为什么大多数人先把车泊在新州步行过桥,然后再来宾州新希望镇驻足。不管怎样,这两个州与我个人生活密不可分。

新希望镇中心小巧玲珑,毋庸吹嘘,好玩的东西委实有限。不像兰斯代尔等其它小城,其闹市区虽有商家店铺,但一个挨一个门脸都不算大,倒是正中爱逛街市的人下怀,我觉得大部分观光客无非前来遛弯到此一游,当然我这么说未必恰当。总而言之,小镇氛围相当惬意,全家老少在逛街压马路之余尽享闲情逸致,风景如画的特拉华河烘托出孩子们欢声笑语,到处呈现出喜气洋洋的温馨景象。实不相瞒,等秋色尽逝冬季来临,诸事不尽人意,眼下或许成为一年当中游览小镇的大好时节。

镇中心“星巴克”咖啡店生意兴隆,我和爸爸顺道进来暖和一下借机小憩片刻,看来冬天就要来了。

相关博文:

Pittsburgh, PA(宾州匹兹堡)

A Day in Philadelphia(记费城一天)

Jim Thorpe, PA(宾州吉姆索普镇)

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制