设万维读者为首页 广告服务 技术服务 联系我们 关于万维
简体 繁体 手机版
分类广告
版主:红树林
万维读者网 > 五 味 斋 > 帖子
A Letter To-Be-Retired Orthodontist(写给即将退休矫牙医生一封信)
送交者: 天边的红霞 2020年06月06日07:52:59 于 [五 味 斋] 发送悄悄话

2016-11-19

【Aiden in English】

Dear Dr. Bedrosian,

I never was a fan of braces. In fact, I didn’t want anything to do with teeth. Braces are a nightmare to me, surrounded by stereotypes, pain, and rumors. They became the worst thing I had ever known. Then I met my orthodontist, you. You have no idea how scared I was when I sat in that reclining chair the first time and you molded my teeth. But as time went on, I discovered more and more of a humorous side to you and learned a common passion for traveling. In what little time we met, you made it the most valuable time it could be. 

You know, a young boy like me does not understand much about extreme changes in life. However, I do understand walking away from something important, something that has been around for eternity. The feeling of realization that you will never be or see that position in life again is very emotionally strong. But as my teachers used to say, all things must come to an end. Yet it does not mean there cannot be something to take its place.

Passions are like teeth; they grow and become strong, but at some point, they all fall out or grow cavities. Yet there are always things that can be done. The old tooth is replaced by a new tooth. A cavity can be filled (lots of experience in that category). I understand that this particular passion loosening and falling out must take much to fill, so if there is one thing I recommend when you depart, it is to find a new tooth, one with a lot of strength and consistency. A tooth that you can lean and rely to bite through the hardest of problems. A tooth that is truly irreplaceable. Furthermore, brush that passion. A lot. So much that it shines and clean it to the point where nothing may hold it back. Every gym teacher in my life told me to work out. Every music tutor in my life told me to practice. Every dentist in my life told me to brush my teeth. I guess it’s my turn to tell you to brush your new tooth when it grows since it will need to be as healthy as possible. Passions can only be passions if they are treated like ones. Retirement is going to be an enormous change, and I completely understand that. But it can also be a huge opportunity to grow a new tooth, a chance for a new passion.

Your 8th-grade patient and, more importantly, friend,

Aiden

P.S.

The world is very large. 

There is much to see. 

【红霞译文】

亲爱的贝卓申大夫:

我从不喜欢牙套,事实上,大凡与牙齿有关的事情我都不爱干。对我而言,戴牙套莫过于噩梦缠身,刻板呆滞、疼痛难忍、碎言碎语随之接踵而来,令我大伤脑筋。天晓得我会碰上您这位矫正师,想必您无法意识到,当初我一坐上那把躺椅,眼见您亲手修理自己的牙齿,心里甭提有多紧张。好在随着时间推移,我逐渐发觉您爱插科打诨,谈吐风趣诙谐,对旅游抱有同样激情,尽管会诊时间短暂,但每次我都受益匪浅。

您知道,像我这样无忧无虑的少男毫无生活阅历,然而每次走出您的诊所,我常常领悟到一些至关重要的人生真谛,从今往后将再也不能继续聆听您的谆谆教诲,不免甚感难过。在此沿用老师们惯用言辞安抚内心,凡事有始有终,当然这么说并非意味着该发生的事情不应发生。

激情如同牙齿越长越壮,但长到一定的时候难免脱落甚至出现缺损,好在总有办法解决,老牙掉下来还有新牙补上去,龋洞尚可采用充填加以修复(在这方面我感同身受),我清楚整个过程前前后后无不需要勇气逐一面对,正因如此,我建议您退休时务必培植一颗新牙,一颗充满活力保持韧劲的新牙,这颗牙不仅助您品尝酸甜苦辣,而且陪您度过天荒地老。除此以外,还要不断焕发激情,并尽力为之,阳光明快的激情才是人生永葆青春的法宝。每位体育老师都提示我健身,每位音乐教授都告诫我苦练,每位牙科专家都规劝我刷牙,我认为现在该轮到自己来请求您照料这颗新牙,让它尽可能健康生长,如果您悉心善待,激情才会永不磨蚀。退休必将给生活带来巨大变化,我完全理解这句话的含义,但同时它也为新牙提供无限生机,让前所未有的激情生根开花。

您的初中三年级就医者、更偏重于朋友

儿歌

又及

世界很大,

要看的东西很多。

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制