简体 繁体 手机版
分类广告
版主:红树林
万维读者网 > 五 味 斋 > 帖子
Capitol Debate Camp Day-3(国会辩论夏令营第三天)
送交者: 天边的红霞 2020年06月24日06:44:47 于 [五 味 斋] 发送悄悄话

2017-08-01

【Aiden in English】

The debate is really fun. I love it a lot. But the complete and utter depressing thought of learning is around every corner. Today had little excitement. It, the stark truth, is that this camp is essential to a specific class in school, learning about the debate system and the spirit.

Today was simply put on a school day. I went to a classroom, took tons and tons of notes, and asked tons and tons of questions. The debate was this intricate, unfathomable world of unknown competition, much like sports. The idea is to be able to counter every opposing argument while simultaneously attacking the opposite view.

Our central debate of the entire camp was whether the United States government should fully fund universal health care, or UHC, a hot topic in America currently, to say the least. The resolution itself sounds intimidating; however, once getting deeper within the topic, I realized that it was much more than just a bunch of fancy words. Today was more a simple, explanation filled class.

Universal hints at how everyone should receive health care, but to what extent? Do non-citizens receive universal health care equally to citizens? How high would taxes have to be raised to be able to implement viable health care? In which ways would the economy be affected through the drastic change of health care?

Many of these questions are the ones I can’t solve nor believe anyone else at this camp to even fathom a relatively close answer. However, the entire point of the debate is not to project a future society with UHC. It is more to convince one judge that the government should begin a UHC program.

With the definitions come a lot of annoying notes to keep track of. I must say, the amount of notes taken is much greater than in school. Most of the day involves staring at a screen, researching information years beyond our education, talking in a certain debate jargon that would explode a normal student’s head.

A lot of the long talks we the students and the teacher have are about the central theme within both sides. What does the pro and con side value? We so far have determined that the basic values and arguments of the two sides: morals versus economy. This argument is not anything new, but recently, the UHC debate has taken the argument to a higher level.

To be honest, I don’t know much about how healthcare works other than its insurance aspect and the complaints about its imbalance. A side goal of winning for me would be to learn a bit more about the world. It’s ironic how people say the internet lies, yet it is the best way to discover the real world.

【红霞译文】

辩论真的很有意思,令我格外开心,但学习向来都是苦与乐的思想交锋,今天实在没什么太多兴奋之处。说真格的,这个夏令营无异于学校开设的专业课,想让学生了解辩论制度把握辩论斗志。

今天可谓返校上课的日子。我走进教室,随堂做了大量笔记,同时还问了不少问题,辩论是一个复杂奇妙难以预料的竞争世界,与体育运动非常相像,在攻击对方观点的同时,要做好对F立性驳论准备。

整个夏令营论题定为“美国政府是否应该完全赞助全民医疗保健“,它堪称全美目前最热门的话题,乍听起来觉得危言耸听,不过一旦深入思考,我意识到这场辩论远非用华丽的词藻就能应付了事的,而今天课堂上主要侧重于简单论证。

全民意味着每个人都应得到医疗保健,但在多大程度上?非公民是否平等享有公民医疗待遇?必须提高多少税收才能得到切实可行的医疗保健?医疗保健的急剧变化对经济会产生什么样的影响?

上面提到的大部分问题不光我无法解决,恐怕夏令营里没人能够琢磨出相对接近的答案。然而,辩论焦点不是向未来社会提供全民医疗保健,而是要设法说服评委相信政府应该开始推行全民医疗保健。

专用名称后面记录着一长串繁琐的注释,这样便于搞清来龙去脉。我承认,到这里所做的笔记要比上学完成的多得多,每天日程包括聚精会神盯住讲台屏幕,研究那些超过我们教学大纲若干年之上的信息,并用一些准保叫普通学生抓狂的辩论术语交谈。

我们学生与老师之间谈论最多的话题应首推辩论双方的中心思想,究竟正方与反方价值观是什么?到目前为止,我们已对基本价值观和双方论据达到共识:道德与经济,这种辩论并不是破天荒头一回,但近来国民对全民医疗保健的争议已上升到新的高度。

坦率地说,除了保险公司及抱怨收支失调而外,我对医保如何运作不太了解,希望能立足夏令营放眼全世界,搞笑的是人们常说互联网瞎话连篇,但它却不失为揭示真实世界最佳手段。

Today in History(历史上的今天):

2014: YMCA Camp─Play B-Ball w/ Fever(基督教青年会营─带病上阵)

IMG_07090001.JPG

Crosslinks(相关博文):

2017: Capitol Debate Camp Day-2(国会辩论夏令营第二天)

2017: Capitol Debate Camp Day-1(国会辩论夏令营第一天)

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖
2019: 没必要那么悲观。从这个录像看,三相氢
2019: 谁要嫁这个聪明的没毛猴子。哈哈哈。