版主:粉缨
万维读者网 > 恋恋风尘 > 帖子
好色至极的托斯泰
送交者: Pascal 2016年03月17日16:04:23 于 [恋恋风尘] 发送悄悄话

《丑陋的男人》    彦一狐 

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_70b1322e0102vqmi.html

此文 2014.5.28 首发于爱思想网站

点击图片或使用键盘← →翻页

彦一狐,女; 原名∶陈霞,网名∶大侠仙子,籍贯河南。诗人,诗评家,作家,湖南人文科技学院副研究员。《湿地》诗刊主编《橄榄》文学杂志社主编。著有大型诗集《那只狐狸——百狐系列》,长诗《梨花桃花散落一地》,《落是个悲剧》,出版个人诗集《谁是你诗经里的一个断句》(中国文联出版社)等。作品曾在国内外各大诗刊刊发。   

那只狐狸 ...... 人体彩绘车模

作者∶ 彦一狐     2012-04-26 11:54

峡谷里
燃烧鄙夷的睫毛
文化披上了赤裸的盛装
野鸽子在坚果上采撷道德的饥荒
尽管,你戴面具
可谁都看见
你穿皇帝的新衣

臆想中的血
流了一地
这坚硬的水泥
如何,让这些主观的肉体
不再暗藏杀机
你这只狐狸
在 数的利刃下
屠宰自己

鬼话连篇

(2014-10-25 00:55:43

鬼话连篇

活

我们
读一的课本
受一的教育,学一的历史
用一种颠扑不破的真理,武装大脑
年复一年
填写一的考核表
举手,表,通过
把脑袋摘下来
放办公桌上
呼呼大睡

历史

历史像个阿拉伯女人
总是戴个面纱
走走,突然掉下来
让世人 呼——
她的丑陋

鬼话

我再也不相信
那些鬼话。关于公仆与奴仆
穷人与富绅
官与民,羊与狼
誓言与拳头
可以转换为
鱼水

黯哑

我羞愧
我没有更大更长的手
越过那条香香的江,握紧你的拳头
我只有黯哑的咽喉和你喷发的激流
簇拥狮子山下
匆忙的步履

水面

一个诗人死了
就会有许多诗人纪念他
写诗,朗诵,搞活动,出集子
一个诗人倒下去
就会让许多诗人
浮上来

死去

房子
有七十年产权
我必须 在七十年以前
死去
说墓地
有二十年阴宅使用权
二十年以后
我这个孤魂野鬼
会游荡在哪里

2014.10.25於狐轩

英语有一个词 —— womanizer, 请先看看它的细致详尽解说∶

womanizer  花心男

If you've ever known a man who can't keep his eyes off every single woman who walks by, you can call him a womanizer — especially if he's constantly handing out his phone number.

A womanizer is a man who always seems to have a new girlfriend, and who has no hesitation about starting up a new relationship before he's ended the last one. Usually, these relationships are sexual and don't last long. The noun womanizer comes from the verb womanize, which originally meant "to make effeminate." By the late 1800s, the meaning shifted to mean "to chase women."

很多年前偶然听到当地 播中提到早年的诺曼·白求恩同志时,就说他是这一位 —— womanizer。顺手在 Google 输入号称“小诸葛”的国军陆军一级上将白崇禧将军,还有年仅53岁零9个月的 产阶级革命导师弗拉基米·伊里奇·乌里扬诺夫同志是怎厶死的,就能知晓, 也是属于这一类范畴,更不要说下面长文述的世界最伟大小说《战争与和平》一书的作列夫·尼古拉耶维奇·托斯泰了。

只有男性如此吗?未必。坊间不是有一句话,

每一个女人的心里,都住一位潘金莲。

八十年代,听人讲,她身边一位女同事,三、四十岁吧,好喜欢四处找毛片看,没;一位五十多岁妇道人家,几年前带队公差出访北美一城市,晚间出来与朋友开车到处找脱衣舞男观赏,未果。

2013年,丹麦作者兼导演 Lars von Trier甚至拍摄了一部两段式故事片∶《 女子慕男狂 》

放荡的托斯泰   2016-3-16 23:37

托斯泰,一个伟大的作家,写出了《复活》、《安娜·卡列尼娜》等传世作品,但他也是一个“欲望大师”。在托斯泰的日记里,记录了他光顾过的妓女、女奴、仆人、女友、乡村少女、已婚妇女、上流社会的女读者、吉普赛女郎、高加索女郎┅┅他对传记作者莫德说∶没有女人,我就不能安宁。

学生时代的托斯泰,摄于1849年

/ 一

●●●托斯泰年轻的时候性格内向,每一次遇到漂亮的女孩,他的脸总会红。

1846年,18岁的他在一次手淫过后,终于尝试了一次性交易。他找了一个年龄偏大价格便宜的女人结束了自己的童贞的身体,之后他在一篇日记里大骂自己,并诅咒女人,他的原话是这的∶"谁是我们身上淫荡放纵的根源,难道不是女人吗?"

让他难过的是,他一下陷进性爱的泥潭里,从那以后,他找过不同的妓女,有时候还和相熟的妓女借钱去嫖另外的女人。他很快染上了性病。1847年,19岁的托斯泰在自己的日记里写道∶"从通常的渠道染上的性病,不得不接受治疗。"

就在他的性病刚刚有转机的时候,他又开始不安分地勾引起女人来,他和一个吉普赛人说情话,免费享用了一个女人,并让女人也染上了性病。他那时间在乡村生活,勾引了大量的俄罗斯乡村少女,有些少女还是处女,他的日记里记载,在养病期间他的性欲每天要暴发一次,让三个女人染上了轻度感染病。

托斯泰还有一个变态的嗜好,就是,他喜欢把每一次做爱的细节都写在日记里。把他的表现,女人的叫床的声音等等都记录得清晰可辩。他为了防止自己忘记是哪一个女人,他在日记里还画了女人的漫画,并编了不同的号码。记完日记的最后,他会开始像正常人一地自责,说自己是个禽兽不如的东西。他好像最爱骂自己的是。他的一篇日记的原话是∶"今天,在古老的大树林里,我是一个傻瓜,一头野兽。"

/ 二

然而,这一切并没有掩饰他的才气,他还是很快写出了不朽的作品,并迅速成名。

托斯泰给孙子S.A. 和I.A.托斯泰讲黄瓜的故事,

莫斯科省,Kryokshino,1909年

20岁以后的托斯泰把自己的性爱对象转移成了已婚女人。他开始不喜欢勾引少女和不通性事的女人。转而开始和不同年龄的已婚妇女做爱。他曾经在一年里拆散过5个家庭,当然,这一切都只是大约数,并不确切。

1856年,28岁的托斯泰为了逃避一个漂亮的女奴去欧洲旅游。对了,这一时间的俄国是农奴制度,有了钱的托斯泰在乡村里建了一个农庄,他物色了数不清的漂亮女人到他的农庄里做工,白天干活,晚上接受他的性骚扰。

有一个叫波良纳的女奴怀孕了,他不得不让她生下孩子,但他为了逃避她,去欧洲旅游了好长时间。从欧洲回来后,就用钱打发了那个生完孩子后身体发福的女奴。

1857年,托斯泰定居法国巴黎,在那里,他租了一套房子写作。几天每隔几天就会换一个女人来服侍他。他自己称1857年是他最疯狂的一年,是他找女人的高峰年,那一年他29岁。靠,居然和我现在一的年龄。郁闷啊郁闷。

托斯泰在1857年日记里不再诅咒妓女,反而大大唱赞歌给她们听。他这描述他所居住的公寓∶"我所下榻的公寓居住36对男女,其中有19对是和我一的非法居住,这真让人作呕,尤其每天半夜里传出来的尖叫声,让我以为还在妓院里。"

这期间他还在伦敦小住,在伦敦的时间,他几乎就住在妓院里。

托斯泰在Khamovniki的书房。莫斯科,1898年

他正在是在伦敦妓院里居住的时候写了一系列歌颂妓女的文章。在他的文章有这的话语∶"妓女是对妇女的极少数的体面的称呼,譬如现在伦敦,如果没有这7丌名妓女,体面和道德的男人会存在吗?稳定的家庭生活会保持下去吗?还会有多少妇女和年轻的少女能保持贞洁?我认为,为了维护家庭,娼妓必须提倡。"

他的观点,比日本提倡一夫多妻制的渡边纯一整整早了一个多世纪,多厶 世骇人啊。

/ 三

一个写出经典作品的作家,一个各方面都很优秀的绅士。托斯泰 不避免爱情。

他的爱情简直是有些完美。

是的,从欧洲旅游回来后的1859年,他勾引了一个有夫之妇,那个女人是个阴谋家,不知道是不是托斯泰的孩子。总之,那个时间也没有亲子鉴定机腹,托斯泰只好给了那个女人一笔钱,让她回乡下去了。

托斯泰夫妻与V. V. Stasov及雕塑家I. Ya. Gintzburg,

雅斯纳亚·波良纳,1900年

一时间,托斯泰冷静下来。他已经三十三岁了,该有自己的爱情和家庭了。

他回到自己的农庄里去寻欢作乐。在那里,他遇到了18岁的少女阿塞涅那娃,靠,这个名字真长,还有呢,我不写了。总之,这个18岁女孩的并不成熟的身体让他了魔。那个女孩对他也很崇拜,简直对他有些百依百顺。他们交流的时候很愉快,托斯泰对这个女孩欲望并不烈,甚至是单纯的喜欢。

尝过了多种女人,他忽然发现,自己最钟情竟然是这种含苞未放的少女。他诱惑这个少女和他上床,那女孩竟然顺从地和他上床,不知是听从了谁的劝导,那个少女竟然放荡起来。这让托斯泰颇为不 应。但不管怎厶说,他喜欢和她在一起的那段日子。他写出大量的单纯而透明的文字,并提高了自己的身价。

爱情总会给人以斗争和信心。

然而,他只是喜欢那个女孩的孩子气,半年以后,当那个女孩渐渐变得庸俗而又成熟起来的时候,他开始厌倦。他最终还是战 了自己,定和女孩结婚。因为他的确为这个女孩动心了。

可是,那个女孩发现了他的日记,知道了他以前的生活,女孩毅然放弃了他的富裕的生活, 开了他。

这就是他一生中最为单纯的一段感情。

/ 四

他的婚姻是不幸的。

1860年,爱情破灭的第二年,他又一次遇到一个医生的女儿,也是18岁。猜想,这大概缘于托斯泰对爱情的一种替代因素。他定结婚。

可是,结婚的当天,他发现,自己喜欢的还是那个 开他的女人,他跑到新娘的房间里说∶"我事实上并不喜欢你,如果你不愿意的话,婚随时可以结束。"

与妻子在书房。妻子面带微笑,

托斯泰则看起来脸色疲倦,似乎不太高兴。

他的妻子的名字叫做索尼娅,哭得像个泪人一,外面是喜气洋洋的亲人,托斯泰竟然这对她。好在婚还是进行了,托斯泰故意迟到了一个小时。

那天晚上,托斯泰野蛮的要了他妻子的处女膜,索尼娅一直哭泣。这让托斯泰感到很厌倦。

后来,他们的婚姻被评为世界上最不幸的婚姻之一,因为托斯泰接下来的放荡。

托斯泰有一个诚实的特点。他认为不应该向妻子隐瞒他的性生活历史,可是他也过于残忍了,他竟然把他日记里记录详细的编号确凿的性爱细节给妻子看。有时候,她妻子还放荡地配合他。

虽然他让妻子连续12次怀孕,但他不节制自己的性欲,在妻子怀孕的时候还照旧暴妻子,导致几个孩子早夭。

托斯泰与高基。雅斯纳亚·波良纳,1900年

/ 五

在托斯的性爱日记里,不但记录了他光顾过的妓女、女奴、仆人、女友、乡村少女、已婚妇女、上流社会的女读者、吉普赛女郎、高加索女郎。

托斯泰竟然还是一个"乱伦"爱好者。

当然这一乱伦不是指和自己亲生的亲属做爱,他后来有一阵子喜欢和母亲的女友、妻子的晚辈以及好朋友长辈亲戚。

他在那肮脏而刺激的性爱中获得快感。他堕落成了一个伟大的作家。

让人奇怪的是,他早年的性病,再也没有发作过,他竟然因为过多的性爱活到了81岁。

直到晚年,他对他的传记作者莫德说∶"没有女人,我就不能安宁。我的性欲过分烈,这真是一种可怕的疾病。"

是啊,他最后才承认自己有一种可怕的疾病。

可笑的是,在早期的日记里,他把这种病因都归结为女人的身体的诱惑∶"她们让我违背了我做人的准则","女人把我引入了歧途"。

托斯泰与家人在一起

托斯泰,一个伟大的作家,他写出了《复活》、《安娜·卡列尼娜》等传世作品,但他更是一个欲望大师,纵容了自己的欲望,成了一个魔鬼。

我不知道,他的性爱日记是不是也传世了,真想看看。

呵呵,那一定比他的小说更加刺激。

附录∶托斯泰论女性

——当一个女人恋爱一个男人的时候,她能从他的身上看出他所没有的好处来,但当她不属意于他的时候,她又不能从别人的意见之外看出他的长处来。

——女人并不用语言来表达她们的思想,而是用语言以达到她们的目的,她们在别人的语言中所搜寻的也是这个目的。

——一个妻子亲近她的丈夫,对他说了许多以前没有说过的抚爱的话。丈夫感动了,但这只是因为她做过一些淫秽的事情而已。

——一个女人,她只在人家与她有关涉的时候是性子和静的。一切与她 关的事情,她都不觉得有趣味,而这种事情如果与别人有了关涉,她是要恼怒的。她似乎负(主宰)一切与她接近的人的生命,好像没有她,大家都会灭亡。为了一切轻微的责难,她会侮辱每一个人,但在十分钟之后,她立刻就忘记了,而且一点也没有懊悔。

——我不能写作时,我觉得痛苦,于是我对自己施以迫。这多厶愚蠢啊!好像生命是存在于写作之中似的。实则生命根本不存在于一切身外的活动。生命并不如我之所欲,而是上帝之所欲。没有著作,生命反而更充实,更有意。现在我正学不写作而生活,我确信能做得到。

——我们的艺术,因为它供给了资产阶级的娱乐,不仅类似于卖淫,简直与卖淫没有丝毫区别。

Tolstoy: Kind of a Dick

by PAUL JOHNSON

It has been said that a careful reading of Anna Karenina

if it teaches you nothing else, will teach you how to make 

strawberry jam.

- Julian Mitchell

Leo Tolstoy's diaries reveal that, as a young man of twenty-five, he was already conscious of special power and a commanding moral destiny: 'Read a work on the literary characterization of genius today, and this awoke in me the conviction that I am a remarkable man both as regards capacity and eagerness to work. I have not yet met a single man who was morally as good as I, and who believed that I do not remember an instance in my life when I was not attracted to what is good and was not ready to sacrifice anything to it.' He felt in his own soul 'immeasurable grandeur'. He was baffled by the failure of other men to recognize his qualities: 'Why does nobody love me? I am not a fool, not deformed, not a bad man, not an ignoramus. It is incomprehensible.'

Tolstoy believed himself to be very highly sexed. Diary entries record: 'Must have a woman. Sensuality gives me not a moment's peace.' 'Terrible lust amounting to a physical illness.' At the end of his life he told his biographer Aylmer Maude that, so strong were his urges, he was unable to dispense with sex until he was eighty-one. In youth he was extremely shy with women and so resorted to brothels, which disgusted him and brought the usual consequences.

One of his earliest diary entries in March 1847 notes he is being treated for 'gonorrhoea, obtained from the customary source'. He records another bout in 1852 in a letter to his brother Nikolai: 'The venereal sickness is cured but the after-effects of the mercury have caused me untold suffering.' But he continued to patronize whores, varied by gypsies, Cossack and native girls, and Russian peasant girls when available. The tone in his diary entries is invariably self-disgust blended with hatred for the temptress : 'something pink... I opened the back door. She came in. Now I can't bear to look at her. Repulsive, vile, hateful, causing me to break my rules.' 'Girls have led me astray.'

The following day he made good resolution but 'the wenches prevent me.' An entry for April 1856 records, after a visit to a brothel: 'Horrible, but absolutely the last time.'

Another 1856 entry: 'Disgusting. Girls. Stupid music, girls, heat, cigarette smoke, girls, girls, girls.' Turgenev, whose house he was then using like a hotel, gives another glimpse of Tolstoy in 1856: 'Drinking bouts, gypsies, cards all night long, and then sleeps like the dead until two in the afternoon.' When Tolstoy was in the country, especially on his own estate, he took his pick of the prettier serf-girls. These occasionally excited more than simple lust on his part. He wrote later of Yasnaya Polyana, I remember the nights I spent there, and Dunyasha's beauty and youth... her strong, womanly body.'

One of Tolstoy's motives in travelling in Europe in 1856 was to escape what he saw as the temptations of an attractive serf-girl. His father, as he knew, had had such an affair, and the girl had given birth to a son, who was simply treated as a male estate serf, being employed in the stables (he became a coachman). But Tolstoy, after his return, could not keep his hands off the women, especially a married one called Aksinya. His diary for May 1858 records: 'Today, in the big old wood. I'm a fool, a brute. Her bronze flesh and her eyes. I'm in love as never before in my life. Have no other thought.' The girl was 'clean and not bad-looking, with bright black eyes, a deep voice, a scent of something fresh and strong and full breasts that lifted the bib of her apron.'

Probably in July 1859, Aksinya gave birth to a son, called Timofei Bazykin. Tolstoy brought her into the house as a domestic and allowed the little boy to play at her heels for a time. But, like Marx and Ibsen, and like his own father, he never acknowledged the child was his, or paid the slightest attention to him. What is even more remarkable is that, at a time when he was publicly preaching the absolute necessity to educate the peasants, and indeed ran schools for their children on his estate, he made no effort to ensure that his own illegitimate son even learned how to read and write. Possibly he feared later claims. He seems to have been pitiless in dismissing the rights of illegitimate offspring.

Tolstoy knew he was doing wrong in resorting to prostitutes and seducing peasant women. He blamed himself for these offenses. But he tended to blame the women still more. They were all Eve the Temptress to him. Indeed it is probably not too much to say that despite the fact that he needed women physically all his life and used them - or perhaps because of this - he distrusted, disliked and even hated them.

In some ways he found the manifestation of their sexuality repulsive. He remarked at the end of his life, 'the sight of a woman with her breasts bared was always disgusting to me, even in my youth.' Tolstoy was by nature censorious, even puritanical. If his own sexuality upset him, its manifestations in others brought out his strongest disapproval. In Paris in 1857, at a timewhen his own philandering was surging in full spate, he noted: 'At the furnished lodgings where I stayed, there were thirty-six menages, of which nineteen were irregular. That disgusted me terribly.'

playing tennis with some friendsies

Sexual sin was evil, and women were the source of it. On 16 June 1847, when he was nineteen, he wrote: 'Now I shall set myself the following rule. Regard the company of women as an unavoidable social evil and keep away from them as much as possible. Who indeed is the cause of sensuality, indulgence, frivolity and all sorts of other vices in us, if not women? Who is to blame for the loss of our natural qualities of courage, steadfastness, reasonableness, fairness, etc if not women?' The really depressing thing about Tolstoy is that he retained these childish, in some respects Oriental, views of women right to the end of his life.

In contrast to his efforts to portray Anna Karenina, he never seems to have made any serious attempt in real life to penetrate and understand the mind of a woman. Indeed he would not admit that a woman could be a serious, adult, moral human being.

He wrote in 1898, when he was seventy: '[Woman] is generally stupid, but the Devil lends her brains when she works for him. Then she accomplishes miracles of thinking, farsightedness, constancy, in order to do something nasty.' Or again: 'It is impossible to demand of a woman that she evaluate the feelings of her exclusive love on the basis of moral feeling. She cannot do it, because she does not possess real moral feeling, i.e. one that stands higher than everything.'

His choice finally fell, when he was thirty-four, on an eighteen-year-old doctor's daughter, Sonya Behrs. He was no great catch: not rich,a known gambler, in trouble with the authorities for insulting the local magistrate. He had described himself, some years before, as possessing 'the most ordinary coarse and ugly features... small grey eyes, more stupid than intelligent... the face of a peasant, and a peasant's large hands and feet'. Moreover, he hated dentists and would not visit them, and by 1862 he had lost nearly all his teeth. But she was a plain, immature girl, only five feet high and competing with her two sisters; she was glad to get him. He proposed formally by letter, then seems to have had doubts until the last minute.

The actual wedding was a premonition of disaster. On the morning he burst into her apartment, insisting: 'I have come to say that there is still time... all this business can still be put a stop to.' She burst into tears. Tolstoy was an hour late for the ceremony itself, having packed all his shirts. She cried again. Afterwards they had supper and she changed, and they climbed into a traveling carriage called a dormeuse, pulled by six horses. She cried again. Tolstoy, an orphan, could not understand this and shouted: 'If leaving your family means such great sorrow to you, you cannot love me very much.' In the dormeuse he began to paw her and she pushed him away.

They had a suite at a hotel, the Birulevo. Her hands trembled as she poured him tea from the samovar. He tried to paw her again, and was again repulsed. Tolstoy's diary relentlessly recorded: 'She is weepy. In the carriage. She knows everything and it is simple. But she is afraid.' He thought her 'morbid'. Later still, having finally made love to her, and she having (as he thought) responded, he added: 'Incredible happiness. I can't believe this can last as long as life.' Of course it did not. Even the most submissive wife would have found marriage to such a colossal egotist hard to bear.

tolstoy w/ anton chekhov

Sonya had sufficient brains and spirit to resist his all-crushing will, at least from time to time. So they produced one of the worst (and best recorded) marriages in history. Tolstoy opened it with a disastrous error of judgment. It is one of the characteristics of the intellectual to believe that secrets, especially in sexual matters, are harmful. Everything should be 'open'. The lid must be lifted on every Pandora's box. Husband and wife must tell each other 'everything'. Therein lies much needless misery. Tolstoy began his policy of glasnost by insisting that his wife read his diaries, which he had now been keeping for fifteen years. She was appalled to find - the diaries were then in totally uncensored form- that they contained details of all his sex life, including visits to brothels and copulations with whores, gypsies, native women, his own serfs and, not least, even her mother's friends. Her first response was : 'Take those dreadful books back - why did you give them to me?'

Later she told him: 'Yes, I have forgiven you. But it is dreadful.' These remarks are taken from her own diary, which she had been keeping since the age of eleven. It was part of Tolstoy's 'open' policy that each should keep diaries and each should have access to the other's - a sure formula for mutual suspicion and misery. The physical side of the Tolstoy marriage probably never recovered from Sonya's initial shock at learning her husband was (as she saw it) a sexual monster. Moreover, she read his diaries in ways which Tolstoy had not anticipated, noting faults he had been careful (as he thought) to conceal.

She spotted, for instance, that he had failed to repay debts contracted as a result of his gambling. She observed, too, that he failed to tell women with whom he had sex that he had contracted venereal disease and might still have it. The selfishness and egotism the diaries so plainly convey to the perceptive reader - and who more perceptive than a wife? - were more apparent to her than to the author. Moreover, the Tolstoyan sex life so vividly described in his diaries was now inextricably mingled in her mind with the horrors of submitting to his demands and their ultimate consequence in painful and repeated pregnancies.

She endured a dozen in twenty-two years; in quick succession she lost her child Petya, while pregnant with Nikolai, who in turn died the same year he was born; Vavara was born prematurely and died immediately. Tolstoy himself did not help with the business of childbearing by taking an intimate though insensitive interest in all its details. He insisted on attending the birth of his son, Sergei (later using it for a scene in Anna Karenina), and broke into a frightening rage when Sonya was unable to breast-feed the baby.

As the pregnancies and miscarriages proceeded, and his wife's distaste for his sexual demands became manifest, he wrote to a friend: 'There is no worse situation for a healthy man than to have a sick wife.' Early in the marriage he ceased to love her; her tragedy was that her residual love for him remained. At this time she confided in her diary: 'I have nothing in me but this humiliating love and a bad temper, and these two things have been the cause of all my misfortunes, for my temper has always interfered with my love. I want nothing but his love and sympathy but he won't give it to me, and all my pride is trampled in the mud. I am nothing but a miserable crushed worm, whom no one wants, whom no one loves, a useless creature with morning sickness and a big belly.'

Take the famous sentence from Anna Karenina: 'All happy families are alike, but each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.' The moment one begins to search one's own observed experience, it becomes clear that both parts of this statement are debatable. If anything, the reverse is closer to the truth. There are obvious, recurrent patterns in unhappy families - where, for instance, the husband is a drunk or a gambler, where the wife is incompetent, adulterous, and so forth; the stigmata of family unhappiness are drearily familiar and repetitive. On the other hand, there are happy families of every kind. Tolstoy had not thought about the subject seriously, and above all honestly, because he could not bring himself to think seriously and honestly about women: he turned from the subject in fear, rage and disgust. The moral failure of Tolstoy's marriage, and his intellectual failure to do justice to half the human race, were closely linked.

Paul Johnson is the world's greatest living historian. He is the author of Intellectuals, from which this excerpt is taken. You can purchase that volume here.

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖
2015: 大胆猜想“猜”出老公藏了多年小三
2015: 美国华人冰火故事:妈的老男友28