分类广告
版主:红树林
万维读者网 > 五 味 斋 > 帖子
Field Trip to Valley Forge(福吉谷实地见习)
送交者: 天边的红霞 2020年03月26日15:20:18 于 [五 味 斋] 发送悄悄话

2014-05-06

Valley Forget0001.JPG

【Aiden in English】

The American Revolution turned into a huge event on the historical timeline of the US in the 18th century. Valley Forge in PA became famous for that very reason because the first President, General of the Continental Army, the founder of the USA, etc... George Washington encamped here in a bitter, unrelenting winter of 1777.

Wow, most people think that those men were freezing to death in their huts. No, it wasn't actually true. Some of us also felt as if they lacked food supplies. No, although there was a shortage of meat, peas, and veggies, yet the soldiers were stuffed with bread. We learned all facts on our 5th grade field trip to Valley Forge National Historical Park this morning. Unfortunately, many infectious diseases had been spread and were killing the soldiers.

The valley used to have hundreds of log cabins for the army and in each one, there was enough room for a squad of 12 soldiers. Every corner, there lay three bunk beds and each about a foot on top of another. I wouldn't survive a night like that because I tend to move a lot in my sleep.

Immediately after we started to tour the site, the guide showed us how to load a musket. First, he poured a little gun powder in the can on the side and then dumped the rest down the barrel with the musket ball. He pulled the trigger and his target was dead. Pretty cool, huh? In addition to the lethal musket, the soldiers were able to equip it with a pointy bayonet or a sharp dagger that could be attached to the front of a musket. And let's put it this way. You do not want to be in stabbing range of the bayonet.

As a colonial army marched to war, it needed a formation. Single file was one of the worst formations. While the army was taking fire from the front, only one person could shot back. Ouch! So we lined up in four columns and I, Sir Guo, was promoted to a sergeant and I, Sergeant Guo was given an order from the General to make sure the columns stayed straight. And when everyone was good to go, we marched, and marched, and marched, and marched...... and after what seemed like a year of marching, we finally reached the top and saw piles of dirt. As the guide said there was a fort at the place where we were standing. I was like no, that's a mound of dirt. Why would soldiers hide behind a mound of dirt? Closer examination proved me wrong, since cannons were stationed around it, large ditches were dug along the perimeter and openings so that the soldiers could fire and provided plenty of cover. Now I get why the British were scared to attack Valley Forge.

After a fun picnic, we explored Washington's headquarter. The so called "master bedroom" looked like the size of my study room for homework. Except for the cramped conditions, the place appeared to be lavished with fancy decorations and made for comfort. To my great surprise, however, Washington rented the house from the local civilians. I finally knew what our four years of social studies were about. It showed us how difficult life was in Valley Forge back to 236 years ago.

【红霞译文】

独立战争是十八世纪美国历史上发生的重大事件,福吉谷之所以蜚声宾州内外,是因为享有第一任总统﹑大陆军总司令﹑美利坚奠基人等诸多头衔的乔治?华盛顿曾于1777冬天率领部下不畏刺骨严寒,在这里安营扎寨。

哇,大多数人以为不少革命先驱因为经不住气候折磨而被冻死在木屋茅舍之中,实际上根本不是这么一回事;还有人觉得由于食物匮乏,他们饥肠辘辘,以致尸横遍野,不过事实并非如此,尽管当时肉类﹑豆子﹑蔬菜短缺,但是战士们仍有面包充饥。今早在通往福吉谷国家历史公园实地考察的路上,我们五年级学生终于搞清楚其真正缘由,原来若干种传染病肆虐,许多士兵未能幸免病魔的侵袭。

这一带谷地曾经有过数以百计军队住过的木屋,每间木屋可容纳一个班12位战士,屋内各个角落摆置三张双层床,每张床约有一英尺长,相互叠加一块。我无法设想自己如何在这种床上过夜,因为本人一向睡觉不老实。

现场参观开始,导游立刻给我们演示如何加载步枪。首先,他先在身旁小罐里倒了一点火药;然后又借助专门用于装火药的小球捶棒,把其余部分逐渐放入步枪火药桶内,他扣动扳机,眼前目标应声倒下。很酷吧?除了这种可以击毙对手的步枪之外,士兵们还能在步枪前面装上一把刺刀或者锋利匕首,以此来提高杀伤力。这么一来,你千万要远离刺刀触及的范围,不可靠得太近。

旧时每当军队开赴战场,都需要形成一个方队,单行纵队可以说是最差的阵容之一,通常前排的士兵负责射击,仅有一人能够进行反击。哎哟!我们步其后尘,依次也排成四列,我—─郭小弟摇身变成中士长官。这下子可好,郭中士接到将军命令,必须确保队形整齐。大家整装待发,随即一起齐步前进、前进、前进、前进经过大约一年之久漫长跋涉,我们终于到达谷峰,但看到的东西却是大堆土包。导游介绍说,这里曾经有一座堡垒。是的,士兵干吗要躲在土堆里呢?仔细观察证明我错了,因为这里布满大炮,战壕围成一圈,这样战士们能够一边向敌人开火,一边躲在里面掩护自己。现在,我才明白为什么英国佬害怕来犯福吉谷了。

快活野餐过后,我们考察华盛顿总部。眼前这个所谓的“主卧室”看上去如同我在家里用做写作业的书房大小一般。暂且撇开拥挤不说,内部装饰富丽华美,令人感觉舒适安逸。然而完全出乎我意料之外,这是华盛顿从当地人租来的民居。我终于懂得,四年来学校开设“社会学”的目的,无非想告诫我们236年前福吉谷的艰难岁月。

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖
2019: 老穿宣布戈蓝高地属于以色列,老尤的代
2019: 为什么说新任司法部长是川普的人?