分類廣告
版主:紅樹林
萬維讀者網 > 五 味 齋 > 帖子
Men are driven to a Light(人愛追光)
送交者: 天邊的紅霞 2020年08月03日04:40:02 於 [五 味 齋] 發送悄悄話

2019-11-09

【Aiden in English】

Men are driven to a Light. It glistens.

A man cannot hold the Light. He who does hold the Light will be consumed by it. It burns, from inside out. 

A stranger claims to have held the Light. He is a stranger, in strange lands. His claims are even stranger. Strangeness scares people. But not having the Light scares people more. 

The stranger claims to be enlightened. He says to have touched the Light with his own, mortal hands. He walks with a limp and an old wooden cane. He is blind. 

“Why should we believe you,” people ask. “Even the strongest man, the bravest soul, the smartest minds cannot achieve the Light.”

He does not answer and simply asks shelter. 

No one believes him. No one follows him. He sleeps under a tree for the night. 

The next morning the stranger is gone. He leaves without a sound. All that remains is a trail of footsteps and his cane.

The villagers approach the cane. It faintly glows in the morning haze. Then, in a bright flash, it vanishes.

The witnesses are stunned.

The village men scramble in the direction of the footsteps. They are shallow, uneven, steps of a cripple. Suddenly, the steps make a sharp turn into a thicket of trees, having a dramatically increased pace. Surprised, the villagers desperately rampage through the forest, clearing patches of grass in search of tracks, but to no avail. One by one, each searcher dropped to the ground in despair and tiredness, and eventually all returned to the village.

A year passes, and the search for the old man has been given up. The village is peaceful, but the urge for light is still present. Hardly anyone has the will to search for it anymore.

A young man with aspiring dreams takes to the forest. He was present during the cane’s disappearance. His eyes still shine with the same glow. He has not given up on his search.

He approaches the forest. Once trampled and smothered, the thicket has regrown. The young man fearlessly plunges into the branches alone. The shadows enclose him. 

The vines and branches scrape his arms. The air grows thin. The young man struggles to breathe. He pushes onwards.

The ground trembles and quakes. Tree roots twist and churn, rolling under the young man’s feet. He persists forward.

A flood of bats storms into the young man’s body. They scratch and bite, tearing at flesh. He battles through.

The young man bursts into a clearing. The trees dispersed, as if allergic to something in the clearing. It is a man. A cripple, the same cripple from a year ago. His eyes, blind to light, curiously scans over the young man.

He laughs. “Oh, finally. A man worthy of the Light.”

The young man, gasping, replied, “Oh yes, the Light. I am here for the Light. Please grant me its grace.”

The old man gazes into the forest. The shadows darken. “You know, I’m not blind.”

“I know.”

The old man smiles. “I used to be, many, many years ago.”

“But the Light granted you sight, correct?”

“Yes, and I am grateful.” He takes to breathe. “But by then I had already grown accustomed to being in the dark. I had no use for sight.”

The old man gingerly touches the young man’s heart. “Oh, what a strong heart. Oh, the wonders it can achieve.”

He smiles.

“The Light is not a reward that can be sought after. Nor does it hold the purpose of gold or wealth. It can only be given.” The old man sighs. “Those who seek the Light all their lives eventually lost themselves in darkness.”

To this, the young man grows outraged. He weeps. 

The old man sadly smiles. He raises his hand, a bright flash of Light consumes him. It blinds the young man. 

The old man, like his cane, disappears. 

The young man has lost his sight.

【紅霞譯文】

人愛追光,因為光璀璨生輝。

人抓不住光,即使捕捉到的光芒也將轉瞬即逝,消耗殆盡。

陌生人聲稱抓住了光。他初來乍到,說話不着邊際。陌生固然可怕,但沒有光更讓人恐懼無度。

陌生人宣告憬然有悟。他親手觸摸過光,儘管腿瘸跛行,拄着一根舊的木拐,是個盲人。

“我們為啥相信你?”人們質疑:“即使最強壯的力士、最勇敢的靈魂、最睿智的思維都無法獲取光芒。”

他沒作答,僅要求有一處立身之地。

沒人理睬他,沒人跟隨他,他只好在樹下過夜。

第二天早上,陌生人走了,悄然無聲,身後只留下一串串腳印及其拐杖。

老鄉們走近拐杖,它在晨曦中微微發光,隨之放出一道閃電便消失不見。

目擊者難以置信。

大家趕緊朝陌生人離去的方向追去,跛足深一腳淺一腳,突然急轉進入密林深處,腳步明顯加快。出乎意料地,老鄉們紛紛湧向林區,為尋找蹤跡而去清理草地,但始終未果。出外搜尋的人一個個陷入絕望,身心俱疲,最後全都返回村子。

一年過去了,人們已經停止尋找老頭,村子固然寧靜,但對光的渴望依舊存在,只不過極少有人提及搜索罷矣。

一位有抱負的小伙子決定到森林開啟夢想。拐杖失蹤的時候他恰好在場,因此眼裡依舊閃爍着曾經的光芒,而且從未打消過搜索的念頭。

他走進森林,立刻淹沒在茫茫林海之中。小伙子披荊斬棘,身陷樹蔭重重包圍,手臂被藤枝樹杈刮傷,周圍空氣也越來越稀薄,累得氣喘吁吁,他全然不顧。

地面顛簸顫動,樹木盤根錯節,腳下到處盤曲亂植,他堅持向前。

成群結隊的蝙蝠朝小伙子俯衝過來,歇斯底里地又抓又咬,他奮戰到底。

小伙子闖入一片空地,樹木好像討厭這裡,長得稀稀拉拉。只見那老頭,跛腳,與一年前一模一樣,看不到光,卻好奇地打量小伙子。

他笑道:“哦,終於來了,你配得上光”

小伙子喘着粗氣說:“對呀,光,我為光而來,請賜予我。”

老頭凝視着森林,樹蔭變暗。“你知道,我不是瞎子。”

“我知道。”

老頭笑道:“很多很多年以前,我曾經是。”

“但光讓你恢復視力,對不?”

“沒錯,我十分感激。” 他呼了口氣,“但那時,我早已習慣黑暗,用不着眼睛。”

老頭小心翼翼地撫摸小伙子的心臟,“多麼強有力的心啊,它能讓奇蹟發生。”

他笑了。

“光既不是被追捧的獎品,也不能當成黃金或財寶,僅為上天賜予而已。”老頭嘆了口氣:“那些畢生尋求光的人最終在黑暗中迷失了自己。”

聽到這裡,小伙子惱羞成怒,抽噎落淚。

老頭一臉苦笑,舉起手,一道閃電奪走了自己的生命,並讓小伙子變成盲人。

像拐杖一樣,老頭自此消失。

小伙子失明了。

Today in History(歷史上的今天):

2017: Modern Translation of Romeo & Juliet(莎翁戲劇現代演義)

2020-06-06_Bridige over Little Neshaminy Creek0001.JPG

Crosslink(相關博文):

11th Grade(高中三年級)

0%(0)
0%(0)
標 題 (必選項):
內 容 (選填項):
實用資訊
回國機票$360起 | 商務艙省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出爐:海航獲五星
海外華人福利!在線看陳建斌《三叉戟》熱血歸回 豪情築夢 高清免費看 無地區限制
一周點擊熱帖 更多>>
一周回復熱帖