简体 繁体 手机版
分类广告
版主:红树林
万维读者网 > 五 味 斋 > 帖子
Book Review—Freakonomics(书评—浅淡《魔鬼经济学》)
送交者: 天边的红霞 2020年08月06日10:06:53 于 [五 味 斋] 发送悄悄话

2020-01-13

【Aiden in English】

A person strolls past a plastic bag fluttering down the street. In one scenario he ignores the bag—in another, he recycles the trash. Later that day, the local news shows a report of a car crash apparently caused by a plastic bag.

In a general scope, the individual’s actions did not affect the flow of events in any meaningful way; however, based on his decision, the person may experience a variety of emotions ranging from a twinge of sadness or great personal anguish.

This scenario is one of many ideas that I constantly think about. I find great intrigue in the philosophy of human nature. Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Stephen J. Dubner and Steven Levitt is by far my most recent favorite text. I was drawn to its appeal of philosophy, logic, and straight-up humor. More importantly, I fell in love with its pessimistic view of society combined with a factual, dry delivery of the author’s claims. As a scholar who enjoys a good logical argument with my social studies’ teachers, complex topics with various approaches are fuel for my mind. In regard to Freakonomics, the book’s challenging views towards some societal tenets stimulates my creative senses. Humanity is so very complex. We interact with each other in layered ways, intimately and professionally, building connections into a large, intricate web. Philosophy of human nature has never been more important. Billions of humans are now interwoven into a system spanning the globe. Ideas fly about the world at light-speed. In this day and age, a powerful idea has never been more effective.

As such, humanity is always improving. People develop new technologies, medicines, and ways of thought. Freakonomics and similar works expose flaws in the common consensus. Due to my intrigue of philosophical thinking, I am drawn to these works. Through the identification of incorrect assumptions or false narratives, Freakonomics addresses points in a society where a little bit of deeper thinking highlights the harsh realities in our world and shares potential fixes (the drug dealing business would certainly lose labor supply if people knew most cocaine dealers live in their parents’ basement). Furthermore, Freakonomics delves into the core of human nature in its exposing content, whittling down each complex topic into deconstructed nuggets of logic (everyone needs an incentive, conventional wisdom is often wrong, etc.…). 

While I do not spend time contemplating the economics of selling local drugs, it is to these types of ideas that I deeply relate with. The biology of any species is focused on survival; however, humanity has succeeded in innovating past primal needs. With each decade and each century, we march forward with new technology and society-changing ideas (women’s suffrage, freedom of slaves, open religion). Perhaps these ideas derive from a young aspiring child with thinking time on a car ride or a rogue economist who challenges convention at every turn.

Thoughts spark ideas. Ideas power actions. Actions result in change. Freakonomics constantly reminds me of the beginnings of innovation—that every change in humanity derived from a thought. One day, my actions will result in change. With challenging ideas that breach social convention, I hope to mirror Stephen J. Dubner and Steven Levitt’s brilliant view and drive for the truth. Their thoughts are the sparks that light the path for the future. Someday, when my actions can stimulate change, I want my ideas to be impactful on this small blue planet.

【红霞译文】

有人路遇塑料袋在空中飘荡。一种情况下,他视而不见;另一种情况下,他把它丢进回收垃圾箱。那天晚上,当地新闻报道了一起由塑料袋引起的撞车事故。

从常规角度来看,个人行为在任何意义上不会对事态发展造成影响;然而基于处事方式,他也许要经历一系列悲伤乃至痛苦的情感体验。

这正是我常常思考的问题之一,我对人性哲学观很感兴趣。迄今为止,我最喜欢由史蒂芬·都伯纳和史蒂芬·列维特合著的《魔鬼经济学·怪诞经济学家探讨万事万物的隐秘一面》,被其授人以渔的哲学理论、逻辑思维以及率直幽默所打动。更为重要地,我甚至痴迷它对社会持悲观看法包括直抒胸臆的笔触。身为酷爱与社会学老师讨论规范逻辑的学生,复杂话题和解答技巧无不成为我思考的动力。谈到《魔鬼经济学》,该书颠覆社会信条的论点激发了我的创造力。人性极其复杂,我们借助于阶层方式进行既密切又专业地互动沟通,由此建立起庞杂的人际网,人性哲学从未如此重要,数十亿大军融入这种全球化关系脉络当中。思想之光快速引领世界前行之路,在今天这个时代,创新思想从未像现在这样发挥实效。

因此,人类不断进步,新技术、新药物、新思想层见叠出。固然,《魔鬼经济学》与同类著作都存有缺陷,但因为对哲学思想饶有兴趣,我才被这些作品所吸引。透过现象看本质,《魔鬼经济学》谈论的是一些社会问题,揭示人类世界所面临的严酷现实,并提出可能的解决办法(如果人们知道多数毒贩子住在父母家地下室的话,那么毒品交易肯定会丧失劳力供给)。此外,《魔鬼经济学》不乏探究人性核心,将每个复杂的主题分解为非结构性有价值的逻辑版块(人人都需要动力、传统智慧常常是错误的、等等……)。

虽未多想由当地贩毒所涉及到的经济学问题,但我密切关注这类思想动态。任何物种的生物学都以生存为本;然而,人类已经成功改良了以往原始需求。每十年每世纪中,技术创新和社会变迁思想(妇女选举权、奴隶享有自由,宗教开放)无不推动我们向前发展,也许这些思想归功于一位有抱负的青少年在车上异想天开或怪诞经济学家随时随地挑战常规。

观念激发思想,思想驱使行为,行为导致变化。《魔鬼经济学》经常让我想起创新伊始—人类每一个变化都源于观念,但愿有朝一日,我的行为也能带来变。我要学习两位作家胸怀大志追求真理的精神,勇于解放禁锢思想,让他们的观念成为点燃未来之路的火花。如果将来我的行为真能激发变化时,希望我的思想能对小小的蓝色星球产生影响。

Today in History(历史上的今天):

2011: 笑话小品(Skit)

Freakonomics0001.JPG

Crosslinks(相关博文):

2015: Book Review─Thank You M'am(书评习作─《谢谢您,夫人》)

2015: Book Review─Head above Water(书评《浮出水面》)

2014: Book Review─Urban Outlaws(书评─浅议《城市水浒传》)

11th Grade(高中三年级)

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖
2019: 被宣布为汇率操纵国的前景后果会是什么