分类广告
版主:红树林
万维读者网 > 五 味 斋 > 帖子
How to Use College Education(如何利用大学教育)
送交者: 儿歌荟萃 2021年05月06日13:54:30 于 [五 味 斋] 发送悄悄话

2021-04-29

【Aiden in English】

〖How you hope to use your college education.〗

A Harvard education would best prepare me to further my life’s mission: helping those around me.

Our public education system prioritizes “core” subjects while sacrificing survival courses such as personal finance. To promote financial literacy among high school students, I launched the virtual Southeastern Pennsylvania Investment Conference (SEPAIC). My team and I invited speakers from the business, finance, management, and accounting fields to provide insight into their careers and experiences. Using Zoom, we opened sessions to my high school and surrounding school districts. Speakers usually gave a twenty-minute presentation, followed by a questions period during which the guest and students could interact.

Watching the curiosity of my peers pour into the tiny chat box showed me that students only needed the opportunity to increase their financial literacy. In an audience exit poll, we asked a few questions, including whether they were interested in business as a future career path. With a quarter of submissions returned answering “no,” I realized that the conferences were also reaching a broader audience than just dedicated business majors. While it wasn’t much, that extra twenty-five percent of ears meant that those thirty students would approach their futures with more financial responsibility, fulfilling the mission of SEPAIC.

Through SEPAIC, I discovered the importance of offering opportunities for those who need them; however, to take my next step, I want to journey to Harvard University. Dedicated to educating citizen-leaders, Harvard University provides tools and services imperative to achieving my goal of helping others. In particular, I would love to study under Professor Christopher Foote. His work regarding public economic practice is fascinating and impactful, especially his publication regarding the polarization effects of the labor market on middle-skilled jobs and employment. In discussing the importance of education in rising from a middle-skilled to a high-skilled position, his studies identify adjustable scales that society can use to improve people’s socio-economic standing, a core purpose of SEPAIC. By surrounding myself with those who have created large-scale impacts, I would be able to magnify my local endeavors like SEPAIC to a national and international level with the Harvard curriculum.

Outside of the classroom, Harvard also offers an array of services, the immediate stand-out being the Harvard College Consulting Group. To bridge the gap between academics and professional consulting, case teams work with prominent companies to analyze data and construct sales strategies. Through this group, I would be able to improve my leadership, teamwork, and problem-solving skills, and more importantly, the group provides experience in working with and managing large-scale projects and businesses. While the curious fifty students of my first-ever SEPAIC meeting will always hold a special place in my heart, I hope that students across the country could have the opportunity to experience business at an early age. To achieve this dream, the skills provided through a Harvard education, inside and out of the classroom, would be of great assistance.

【红霞译文】

〖你希望如何利用大学教育〗

哈佛大学教育将最大程度地完善我的人生使命:帮助周围人。

我们的公共教育系统优先考虑“核心”科目,不惜割舍像个人财务这样的生存课程。为了普及高中学生理财认知,我发起了线上“宾州东南地区投资会议”,以我为首的团队成员邀请来自商务、金融、管理和会计等领域的演讲者分享各种的职场经验。借助“聚焦”视频渠道,我们为本校以及附近学区开设了多个场次,每位演讲者通常先阐述20分钟,接下来直入提问环节,以此推进嘉宾与学生的互动。

同学们在好奇心的驱使下纷纷涌入我屏幕上聊天窗口前,说明他们渴望获取理财知识。在与会者投票民意调查中,我们提出几个问题,其中包括征询将来是否走上商科之路,结果四分之一选择“不”,我意识到这次会议吸引了不少非商科专业的人士,虽然数量不多,但额外25%的听众意味着卅名学生未来在财务上会有更多担当,为完成本次会议使命做出了贡献。

通过举办宾州东南地区投资会议,我发现给需要机会的人提供机遇至关重要。为求更好地完善自身,我想去哈佛大学深造。致力于培养国民领导力的哈佛大学有很多锦囊妙计,是我追求为民服务道路上不可或缺的法宝,而且我非常渴望师从克里斯托弗·富特教授,他所阐述的公共经济实践引人入胜,著作中有关劳动力市场两极分化对中等技能工作和就业所造成的影响给我留下了深刻印象,并对由中等岗位升至高级职称引发而来的教育重要性展开了讨论,其研究揭示出适于全社会的等级体系,从而改进人们的社会经济地位,恰好印证了宾州东南地区投资会议宗旨。“近朱者赤”,置身于极具影响力的精英世界,凭借哈佛打下的夯实基础,我没准能把诸如“宾州东南地区投资会议”本地经验推广到国内外。

哈佛大学注重课外锤炼,其中最引人注目的便是哈佛学院顾问集团,为了培养学生理论与实践相结合,其案例团队参与知名公司数据分析并制定销售策略;更重要的是,该集团让学生从经手大项目、接触业务中积累经验,冀求经过潜移默化,我的领导管理、团队合作、解决问题能力也随之提高。正因为首次主持“宾州东南地区投资会议”吸引来50名捧场学生令我刻骨铭心,所以我希望全国各地的学生都有机会从小参与经商活动,为了实现这一梦想,我想从哈佛课内外教育学得本领。

2019-06-26_Thomas-Jay-Aiden-Jiger-10001.JPGHome Court (简易篮球场 06/26/2019)

Crosslink(相关博文):

12th Grade(高中四年级)

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖