设万维读者为首页 广告服务 技术服务 联系我们 关于万维
简体 繁体 手机版
分类广告
版主:诤友
万维读者网 > 教育学术 > 帖子
The Year She Turned Thirteen (二)
送交者: BettyCheerful 2015年11月21日18:57:59 于 [教育学术] 发送悄悄话

“I said I’m fine,” snapped Mary.

“Fine, fine,” said Emily. “So, did you hear what happened between Sara and Nick? I heard they’re dating.”

Mary tuned her friend out. She really couldn’t muster her usual enthusiasm for gossip today.

In math class, was horribly distracted by her rumbling stomach. She hadn’t had time for breakfast that morning, and all she could think of was lunch.

When lunchtime came around, Mary loaded her plate. They were having hamburgers today, and it smelled delicious. But, as she approached the cash register, the lunch lady said, “Sorry dear, you’ve run out of lunch money in your account. It’s okay, we’ll fix you an alternate lunch.”

So, Mary walked off with a cheese sandwich and milk. She was too embarrassed to mention her lactose intolerance, so she just walked off with a mumbled ‘thank you’. She ate the bread but tossed away the milk and the cheese. Unfortunately, her stomach continued to rumble.

The rest of the afternoon dragged on slowly. Finally, after what seemed like a matter of years, school was finally out and Mary began the journey home on the bus. She was getting annoyed. The heat of the bus, the loud obnoxious children, everything was starting to drive her insane.

As soon as Mary got home, she headed straight for the fridge. After fixing a light snack, she tried to tackle her math homework. As she looked down at the numbers and symbols, she couldn’t understand a word of it.

“Forget it,” she said peevishly. “I’m not going to bother.”

After giving up on math, Mary went straight to sleep.

“Mary,” a soft voice said. “Wake up dear. It’s time for dinner.” 

“Go away,” she mumbled.

“But we made your favorite, pasta primavera.” said Mary’s mother.

“I’m not hungry.”

“Are you feeling all right?” she asked, her voice full of concern.

“I just want to sleep, okay?” snapped Mary.

“Rest up then,” said Mary’s mother as she left the room.

An hour later, Mary was tossing and turning in her bed. After her mother woke her up, Mary could not go back to sleep. She stared at the ceiling. She tried counting sheep, but nothing seemed to help her relax. On the few occasions when she managed to drift away, she would always be woken up by the same nightmare of falling into a pit of darkness.

The next morning, Mary was already awake when her alarm clock went off. She hadn’t slept a wink the whole night. Mary trudged to her bathroom to get ready for school. As she got dressed, she couldn’t help but criticize her reflection in the mirror. My thighs are too big. My stomach isn’t flat enough. My skin is awful. I hate my glasses. Braces make my teeth look weird. She kept censuring the girl in the mirror for every little thing. What happened to the cute little girl I used to be? Back then, I didn’t have these stupid glasses, or these stupid braces. I wasn’t fat, and I didn’t have all the acne. Soon, Mary began to hate the girl that she saw in the mirror. 

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖
2014: 为什么美国学生学的数学比我们简单却能
2013: 田刚要挂了,Donaldson亲自写文批驳他了