设万维读者为首页 广告服务 技术服务 联系我们 关于万维
简体 繁体 手机版
分类广告
版主:诤友
万维读者网 > 教育学术 > 帖子
研究作假的三个因素
送交者: xilihudu0 2012年01月07日21:38:45 于 [教育学术] 发送悄悄话

Three steps to fraud

In every case of scientific fraud I knew of, I realized that three factors were present: the scientist was under career pressure; he thought he knew the answer, and didnt need to go to all the trouble of obeying the scientific method; and he was working in a field where reproducibility was not precise. The last of these explained why fraud was almost always in biomedicine, where the truth is generally more statistical and less directly causal.

Then, in 2002, two cases of scientific misconduct by physicists came to light, one involving Jan Hendrick Schon at Bell Laboratories, and the other Victor Ninov at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL). In both cases, the scientists were under career pressure (as most scientists almost always are) and both thought they knew the right answer. The test of my hypothesis would be the third factor.  The Schon case fits like a glove. He apparently made a breath-taking series of discoveries in MOSFETs (metal-oxide semiconductor field effect transistors), a field that is notoriously sample-dependent: the fact that nobody could reproduce his results could just have meant that they had bad samples.  Victor Ninov was a leader of the group at LBNL using the Berkeley Gas-filled Separator (BGS) to sort through the debris of nuclear collisions. In 1999, the group announced the observation of three instances of decay chains characteristic of the element 118. By international agreement, new elements are not official until their discovery has been reproduced, which groups in Germany and Japan immediately undertook to do but both failed.  In 2001, the BGS group produced a fourth signature decay chain.  By now, suspicions had been aroused. A series of investigations ensued, in which it was found that the data for all four decay chains had been fabricated, and that Ninov was the only person in a position to have done it.  Thus he had turned my third factor on its head. Ninov had assumed that his result would be reproduced and that he would get the credit for discovering it first.

David Goodstein

nature physics | VOL 3 | FEBRUARY 2007 | p. 73    www.nature.com/naturematerials

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖
2011: 说F-22是猛禽,我看它更像一只飞蛾,笨
2011: 历史教育:太监是西方文明的发明