里 根 如 是 说
送交者: Viewer 2011年02月09日13:33:46 于 [史地人物] 发送悄悄话

九喻翻译:里根如是说

http://standardfreepress.com/blog/?p=4119

By 鲁克

Words of Wisdom from the Old Gipper里根如是说
里根如是说

作者:里根 翻译:九喻

“We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free.” - Ronald Reagan
永远铭记,引以为傲,时刻准备–我们才得永保自由

“Here’s my strategy on the Cold War: We win, they lose.” - Ronald Reagan
对于冷战,我的策略是:我们赢,他们输。

“The most terrifying words in the English language are: I’m from the government and I’m here to help.” - Ronald Reagan
英文里最恐怖的句子是:我是政府派来的,我到这里来帮助你。

“Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don’t have that problem.” - Ronald Reagan
有些人一辈子都在思考他们是否改变了世界。真正改变了这个世界的海军陆战队员倒没有这个问题。

“The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they’re ignorant: It’s just that they know so much that isn’t so.” - Ronald Reagan
左翼自由派朋友的问题不是他们太无知,而是他们知道太多,可惜都是错的。

“Of the four wars in my lifetime none came about because the U.S. was too strong.” - Ronald Reagan
我一生经历的四场战争里,没有一个是因为美国太强大而爆发的。

“I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress.” - Ronald Reagan
我经常有这个念头:如果摩西把十诫提交国会审议,它们会变成什么样子?

“The taxpayer: That’s someone who works for the federal government but doesn’t have to take the civil service examination.” - Ronald Reagan
纳税人,就是那些为联邦政府服务但是不必参加公民服务考试的人。

“Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.” - Ronald Reagan
政府就像婴孩:食道的一头胃口很好,另一头却一点责任都不负。

“If we ever forget that we’re one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.” - Ronald Reagan
一旦忘记了我们国家之上还有上帝,那么我们国家就会真的往下走。

“The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth is a government program.” - Ronald Reagan
政府项目是我们在地球上看到的最不容易死的东西。

“I’ve laid down the law, though, to everyone from now on about anything that happens: no matter what time it is, wake me, even if it’s in the middle of a Cabinet meeting.” - Ronald Reagan
我对你们每个人的要求是:无论发生什么事,无论什么时间,马上叫醒我,即使我正在参加内阁会议。

“It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.” - Ronald Reagan
人们说政治是第二古老的职业,我发现它和第一古老的职业(卖淫)有惊人的相似之处。

“Government’s view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.” - Ronald Reagan
政府对经济的做法可以总结为几句话:如果经济增长,征税。如果经济继续增长,制定规章限制它。如果经济停止增长,补贴它。

“Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book.” - Ronald Reagan
政治不是个坏职业。如果你成功,会有很多奖励,即使丢人现眼,你依然可以写本书。

“No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. - Ronald Reagan
世界上没有任何兵工厂,或者兵工厂里的任何武器,比自由男女的意愿和道德勇气更有威力。

“Our coins bear the words ‘In God We Trust.’ We take the oath of office asking his help in keeping that oath. And we proclaim that we are a Nation under God when we pledge allegiance to the flag.
But we can’t mention his name in a public school or even sing religious hymns that are non-denominational. Christmas can be celebrated in the school room with pine trees, tinsel and reindeers but
there must be no mention of the Man whose birthday is being celebrated. One wonders how a teacher would answer if a student asked why it was called Christmas.” - Ronald Reagan
硬币上铸着“我们信靠上帝”。我们就职宣誓的时候请求他帮助我们信守誓言。我们对着国旗宣布美国在上帝之下。但是我们不能在公立学校提起上帝,或者唱没有教派色彩的宗教歌曲。在教室里,可以用圣诞树、锡箔装
饰和驯鹿来庆祝圣诞节,却绝对不能提及那个出生日被纪念的人。人们不禁想知道:如果一个学生问为什么这一天叫圣诞节,老师会怎么回答。

“The men of Normandy had faith that what they were doing was right, faith that they fought for all humanity, faith that a just God would grant them mercy on this beachhead or on the next. It was
the deep knowledge — and pray God we have not lost it — that there is a profound, moral difference between the use of force for liberation and the use of force for conquest. You were here to liberate,
not to conquer, and so you and those others did not doubt your cause. And you were right not to doubt.

You all knew that some things are worth dying for. One’s country is worth dying for, and democracy is worth dying for, because it’s the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man.”
- Ronald Reagan, 40th anniversary of the D-Day invasion at Normandy, France

参与诺曼底登陆的士兵有这样的信仰–他们所做的是对的,他们在为人类战斗,公正的上帝会在这个海滩或那个海滩施下怜悯。我们深深的了解–祈求上帝不 要让我们忘记这一点–用武力解放其他人和用武力征服其他人有本质的道德上的区别。你们曾经在这里参与解放,而不是征服,因此你们大家没有怀疑战争的目的。 你们正确的没有怀疑。

你们都已经知道,有些事情值得为之献身。国家值得献身,民主也值得献身,因为它是人能设计出来的最有尊严的政府形式。(诺曼底登陆40周年纪念日,于法国)

英文原文:Words of Wisdom from the Old Gipper
“Baxter County Republicans”网站整理
http://www.baxtercountyrepublicans.com/reagan.html

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖