设万维读者为首页 广告服务 技术服务 联系我们 关于万维
简体 繁体 手机版
分类广告
版主:无极
万维读者网 > 史地人物 > 帖子
Alternative Opening and Making of Modern Japan
送交者: 比较政策 2014年09月23日00:14:28 于 [史地人物] 发送悄悄话

Sho Konishi, Anarchist Modernity: Cooperatism and Japanese-Russian Intellectual Relations in ModernJapan.  Harvard East Asian Monographs #356. 2013.

The back-cover describes the book: “Mid-nineteenth century Russian radicals who witnessed the Meiji Restoration saw it as the most sweeping revolution in recent history and the impetus for future global progress. Acting outside imperial encounters, they initiated underground transnational networks withJapan. Prominent intellectuals and cultural figures …… pursued these unofficial relationships through correspondence, travel, and networking, despite diplomatic and military conflicts between their respective nations.” It “uncovers a major current in Japanese intellectual and cultural life between 1860 and 1930 that might be described as ‘cooperatist anarchist modernity’—a commitment to realizing a modern society through mutual aid and voluntary activity, without the intervention of state governance. These efforts later crystallized into such movements as the Nonwar Movement, Esperantism, and the popularization of the natural sciences.” This 411-page book is indeed an admirable scholarship of history research with 31-page bibliography of archives and special collections, newspapers, journals, and other serials, books, articles and unpublished papers inJapan,Russiaand theU.S.From the point of Japanese history research, I only want to read Chinese characters (kanji) of original Japanese in the Index, since one spelling in English usually corresponds to different kanji or meaning and it is easy now to print out kanji in a book.

The book starts like a novel. “In 1861, in the little port town of Hakodate, one of the several cities recently opened by the Japanese government to foreigners, an American captain bustled about his ship, preparing for a dinner party that would ring in the arrival of a new cosmopolitan era in Japan.” (p.1). Here the American captain introduced to his honored guest Consul General I. A. Goshkevich (1814-75), the head of Russia’s first diplomatic mission to Japan, his compatriot Mikhail Bakunin, who had escaped from Siberia after over ten year’s imprisonment and exile, riding piggyback on the newly opened Vladivostok-Hakodate shipping route. The author states: “The chance meeting in 1861 between Consul General Goshkevich and Bakunin in revolutionaryJapanrepresents the beginning of an anarchist vision of progress founded on principles of mutual aid inJapanthat would color Japanese intellectual and cultural life for well over half a century.” (p.3).  While Bakunin left Japan soon without any publicity and never came back again, about six decades later, a blind Russian youth, the Esperanist poet Eroshenko’s being deported caused nationwide disturbance (Chapter 5 Translingual World Order: Language without culture). “Forweign Minister archives show that the state considered this blind bard and composer of poems and children’s stories one of the most dangerous foreigners inJapan.” (p.285). “When Arishima and Akita asked police why Eroshenko was to be deported, arguing that he ‘is a mere poet,’ the police replied, ‘Yes, in fact, that is precisely what is wrong with him.’” (p.293). I noticed this story when I was under threats from various Japanese governmental agencies since I organized democratic and human rights activities inJapanin 1989. In 1992 when I was beaten inTokyoby a Chinese agent, who was hired byNationalKobeUniversityas a Lay professor because of he provided information of our Chinese students inJapan, I reported toTokyopolice and received 4-5 hours investigation from uniform and secret polices. They first promised me “justice” becauseJapanis a rule-by-law society. However, after several weeks of non-action, I was told that there was no record of my report. Furthermore, I was warned not to pursue this case anymore, because otherwise I would be charged and be deported[1].   

On the other hand, “n macro historical perspective, the Russian culture presence in Japan from the mid-nineteenth to the early twentieth century was, for interpretive purpose, comparable to that of the Chinese culture presence in the intellectual life of TokugawaJapanbefore 1860 and the American cultural presence in the intellectual life ofJapanafter the Asia-Pacific War.” (p.5) These statements are really bold enough. However, interesting though, the stories of Lev Mechnikov (Bakunin and Herzen’s comrade) in Japan (Chapter 1 Revoliutsiia mmts ishin: The emerging Vision of Cooperatist Civilization) or Arishima Takeo, who sponsored Osugi Sakae’s Europe trip nonetheless was not regarded an anarchist (Chapter 4 The History Slide), or Konishi Masutaro who translated the Chinese classical Lao Zi’s Daode Jing (Tao te ching, the Way) to Russian (Chapter 2 Anarchist religion: Translation and conversion beyond Western modernity) do not convey such a tremendous anarchist influence. The author frequently mentions Lev Tolstoy as “the most translated author,” however Tolstoy’s popularity was the same in the world and not due to his anarchist or religion thinking.   

To defense, the author further explains: “The phrase ‘anarchist history’ here does not mean simply a history about anarchists. Rather, it expresses a view of modern global history as simultaneously existing, multiple imaged and lived ideas of progress, or ‘modernities’ absent teleological and hierarchical ordering.” (p.6).  It is also problematic that the author frequently utilizes some people’s writings as “historians” authority, such as “Historians have long defined anarchy…” (p.9), “Similarly, historians have described anarchism in Japan as a reactionary impulse against the Western civilizational order, expressing an emotional preoccupation with ‘traditional’ and ‘conservative’ moral and spiritual values threatened by the West.” (p.9-10).  In fact, from this judgment, the author accuses James C. Scott’s The Art of Not Being Governed: An Anarchist History of Upland Southeast Asia[2] as “the Western modern conceptual framework that has labeled anarchism in the first place.” (p.10)  From the frequent uses of “anarchist Kropotkin” or “anarchist theorist Kropotkin” we can feel that the author is not familiar to anarchist history per se.

Being not a professor supervising this PH. D dissertation (the author has to summarize each chapter to guide readers not to get lost), I have less interest in the book’s goal stated as: “Examining cooperatist anarchism as an intellectual foundation of modern Japan, Sho Konishi offers a new approach to Japanese history that fundamentally challenges the ‘logic’ of Western modernity. It looks beyond this foundational construct of modern history writing to understand people, practices, and cultural expressions that have been forgotten or dismissed as products of anti-modern nativist counter urges against the West.”  As a comparison, James C. Scott’s book provided a more consistent perspective to guide much richer contents. It is certainly welcome to enlarge anarchist account to review modernJapanalternatively, but if you are not familiar to Japanese or Russian modern history, it is better to read other materials specifically on anarchism.

Jing Zhao

September 23, 2014

US-Japan-China Comparative Policy Research Institute   

[1] See my article “The Betrayal of Democracy: Tiananmen's Shadow overJapan,” Historia Actual Online. ISSN 1696-2060. 2004. Issue 4 Volume 2, and me letter to Japan’s Prime Minister Hatoyama five years ago at http://cpri.tripod.com/cpr2009/Zhao_to_Hatoyama.pdf.

[2] Yale Agrarian Studies Series, 2009. The book was reviewed by Graham Purchase at ASR Summer 2011 #56.

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖
2013: 中国第一“女宰相”私生活揭秘
2013: 习近平决意开创一个非毛非邓的新时代