设万维读者为首页 广告服务 技术服务 联系我们 关于万维
简体 繁体 手机版
分类广告
版主:纳川
万维读者网 > 天下论坛 > 帖子
Fly Goose fly! Run Coyote run!
送交者: 江灵飏 2022年11月22日08:23:21 于 [天下论坛] 发送悄悄话

Canada (not Canadian) geese can't care less about Canada or the United States. Where they land is where they feed. Where they feed is also where coyotes feed. Herbivores enjoy the grass. Carnivores enjoy the herbivores. Simple, plain, and true. That's the beauty--or the beastiliness--of Darwinism. 

Nature is so idyllic when the geese are fattening themselves on the pre-Thanksgiving grass. Nature is so "red in tooth and claw" when the coyotes are fattening themselves on the pre-Thanksgiving geese. Neither geese nor coyotes can help doing what they are doing. They are just interacting and interfering with each other the way they are supposed to be. They don't take it personally, like we human beings do. That's why we human beings, I surmise, stay on top of the food chain. But, like geese and coyotes, we human beings are chained to the food chain, too. Everyone has to eat, after all. I therefore can't really say to myself or others that it's none of my business when it comes to survival. I may not be the fittest, but so far I still survive, thanks to a given survival instinct. Ditto for a goose. Ditto for a coyote. 

Thanksgiving is around the tight corner as I watch, from my patio, yet another little fur-and-feather drama playing out in a parcel of wilderness. By the way, this parcel of wilderness is there for us, so that we are willing to pay more as homeowners. Call it the American Dream.

No one eats geese or coyotes here. Sorry, turkeys.

Author: Lingyang Jiang

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖
2021: 赵晓:从“君权神授”到“枪权神授”