设万维读者为首页 广告服务 技术服务 联系我们 关于万维
简体 繁体 手机版
分类广告
版主:纳川
万维读者网 > 天下论坛 > 帖子
My Thoughts On Medical Science
送交者: renqiulan 2024年04月15日16:18:17 于 [天下论坛] 发送悄悄话

It's no accident that Sherlock Holmes was created by Arthur Conan Doyle, a real-life physician who was as observant as a medical practitioner would be and as imaginative as a fiction writer should be. His greatness, in my opinion, lies in applying knowledge as much as in expanding it.

When applying knowledge, every medical practitioner worth his or her salt must also notice the gap, big and small, between what's learned and what has to be unlearned or relearned. It is when and where new knowledge is gained and expanded. For example, in the Napoleonic Wars, French surgeon Dominique Larrey (1766-1842) found that the pain of amputation was substantially dulled when limbs were frozen by snow and ice. His weather-related discovery inspired today's cryoamputations performed on the critically ill diabetic patients with infected, gangrenous extremities.

On the flip side, knowledge gained and applied could also be lethal in the hands of medical doctors serving murderous regimes. Do I need to elaborate on the horrors of concentration camps and gulags? In such cases, medical science is not to blame; it's those scrub-wearing butchers who must answer for their crimes.

Medical scientists, as scientists in general, have to address morality. In this regard, a U.S. Army doctor told me that she would try to save the lives of wounded terrorists, provided that they were absolutely disarmed and medically subdued. You never know what a suicidal fanatic would do next.

Indeed, treating evil-minded patients always poses the greatest challenge.

Author: renqiulan

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖
2023: 达赖喇嘛“舌头门”:强势文化对弱势文