COPY-PASTE FROM CHINASMILE
Topic: 生存常用習語
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Potluck Party :一種聚餐方式,主人準備場地和餐具,參加的人必須帶一道菜或準備飲料,最好事先問問主人的意思。
·Pull over!把車子開到旁邊。
·Drop me a line!寫封信給我。
·Give me a ring. = Call me!來個電話吧!
·For here or to go?堂食或外賣。
·cool; That's cool! 等於台灣年輕人常用的囗語“酷!”,表示不賴嘛!用於人或事均可。
·What's up? = What's happening? = What's new?
見面時隨囗問候的話“最近在忙什麼?有什麼新鮮事嗎?”一般的回答是“Nothing much!”或“Nothing new!”
·Cut it out! = Knock it out!= Stop it! 少來這一套!同學之間開玩笑的話。
·Don't give me a hard time! 別跟我過不去好不好!
·Get yourself together! 振作點行不行!
·Do you have "the" time? 現在幾點鐘?可別誤以為人家要約你出去。
·Hang in there. = Don't give up. = Keep trying. 再撐一下。
·Give me a break ! 你饒了我吧!(開玩笑的話)
·Hang on. 請稍候。
·Blow it. = Screw up. 搞砸了。
·What a big hassle. 真是個麻煩事。
·What a crummy day. 多倒霉的一天。
·Go for it. 加油
·You bet. = Of course. 當然;看我的!
·Wishful thinking. 一廂情願的想法。
·Don't be so fussy! 別那麼挑剔好不好。
·It's a long story. 唉!說來話長。
·How have you been? = How are you doing? 你過得如何?近來可好?
·Take things for granted. 自以為理所當然。
·Don't put on airs. 別擺架子。
·Give me a lift! = Give me a ride! 送我一程吧!
·Have a crush on someone. 迷戀某人。
·What's the catch? 有什麼內幕?
·Party animal. 開Party狂的人(喜歡參加舞會的人)。
·Pain in the neck. =Pain in the ass. 討厭的東西、人或事。
·Skeleton in the closet. 家醜
·Don't get on my nerve! 別把我惹毛了!
·Afat chance. =A poor chance. 機會很小。
·I am racking my brains. 我正在絞盡腦。
·She's a real drag. 她真有點礙手礙腳。
·Spacingout.=daydreaming. 做白日夢。
·I am so fed up. 我受夠了!
·It doesn't go with your dress. 跟你的衣服不配。
·What's the point? = What are you trying to say? 你的重點是什麼?
·By all means.=Definitely. 一定是。
·Let's get a bite. = Let's go eat. 去吃點東西吧!
在美生存常用習語(II)
·I'll buy you a lunch (a drink; a dinner). = It's on me. = My treat. 我請客
·Let's go dutch. 各付各的
·My stomach is upset. 我的胃不舒服
·diarrhea [dai r'i ] 拉肚子
·吃牛排時,waitor 會問“How would you like it ?” 就是問“要幾分熟?”的意思,可以選擇 rare,medium 或 well-done。
·I am under the weather. =I am not feeling well. 我不太舒服!
·May I take a rain check? 可不可改到下次?(例如有人請你吃飯,你不能赴約,只好請他改到下一次。)
·I am not myself today. 我今天什麼都不對勁!
·Let's get it straight. 咱們把事情弄清楚!
·What's the rush! 急什麼!
·Such a fruitcake! 神經病!
·I'll swing by later. =I'll stop by later. 待會兒,我會來轉一下。
·I got the tip straight from the horse's mouth. 這個消息是千真萬確的(tip指消息)!
·easy as pie = very easy = piece of cake 很容易。
·flunk out 被當掉。
·take french leave 不告而別。
·I don't get the picture. =I don't understand. 我不明白。
·You should give him a piece of your mind. 你應該向他表達你的不滿。
·hit the road = take off = get on one's way 離開。
·Now he is in the driver's seat =He is in control now.
·Keep a low profile (or low key). 採取低姿態。
·Kinky =bizarre =wacky =weird 古怪的。
·klutz (=clutz) =idiot 白痴、笨蛋。
·know one's way around 識途老馬。
·lion's share 大部份。
·tailgate 尾隨(尤其跟車跟得太近)。
·take a back seat. 讓步。
·take a hike =leave me alone =get lost 滾開。
·hit the hay =go to bed 睡覺。
·Can you give me a lift? =Can you give me a ride? 載我一程好嗎?
·green hand 生手、沒有經驗的人。
·moonshine = mountain dew 指私釀的烈酒(威士忌)或走私的酒。胡說八道也可用moonshine。His story is plain moonshine.
·chill out =calm down =relax(來自黑人英語)
·rip off =steal;I was ripped off. 我被偷了;rip off 也常被用為“剝奪”My right was ripped off. 權利被剝奪(來自黑人英語)。
·我們稱美國大兵為G.I. (Government Issue) or GI Joe, 德國兵或德國佬為 Fritzor Kraut,稱英國佬為John Bull,日本人為Jap.或Nip,猶太人為Jew都是 很不禮貌的稱呼。
·mess around (with)瞎混;Get to work. Don't mess around. 趕快工作,別瞎攪和。
·snob 勢利眼。
·sneak in,sneak out 偷偷溜進去,溜出來。sneakers 運動鞋。
·She is such a brown-noser. 她是個馬屁精。
·This is in way over my head. 對我而言這實在太難了。
·I am an exam jitter and I always get a cramp in my stomach. 我是個考試緊張大師,一考試胃就抽筋。
·Keep your study (work) on track. 請按進度讀書(工作)。
·Did you come up with any ideas? 有沒有想到什麽新的意見?
·Don't get uptight !Take it easy. 別緊張,慢慢來!
·Cheese ! It tastes like cardboard. Cheese吃起來味如嚼臘!
·Get one's feet wet. 與中文裡的“涉足”或“下海”,寓意相同,表示初嘗某事。I am going to try dancing for the very first time. Just to get my feet wet.
·美國總統到底是比爾·克林頓還是威廉·克林頓?吉米·卡特和詹姆斯·卡特是否同一人?根據語言學家William Safire的分析,美國多數政客都喜歡使用昵名代替他們原來的名字,如Bill就是William的暱稱,Jimmy等於James等,好造成一種平易近人的形象。