分類廣告
版主:納川
萬維讀者網 > 天下論壇 > 帖子
A Full Moon Over Hong Kong
送交者: renqiulan 2024年09月16日15:25:28 於 [天下論壇] 發送悄悄話

Notes_240910_110201_ead.png

From a senior citizen living in New York City:

image (22).png

"It was mid-autumn of 1962. Starving Mainlanders flooded into Hong Kong, and squatter huts cropped up overnight. The British colony had virtually become a refugee camp.

I was a skinny little kid, barely ten years old, yet I already felt like I was carrying the weight of the world. A loaded basket jostled on my back with every step.

I was not alone. Ahead of me, a ragged line of bony boys and girls trudged toward the market. The boys wore nothing but worn-out shorts, while the girls fared slightly better, covering themselves with patched-up clothes.

Out of nowhere, a girl passed by and gave me a twig-doll smile, a spark of joy on an otherwise dreary day. I wished I could fill my growling stomach with that joy. Heaven knew how desperately I needed to sell my load of scraps just to buy food. Ouch! Again, I cut myself walking barefoot. I had sold my outgrown sandals the other day.

Behind me, my newly widowed mother, with her newborn daughter in her arms, walked in silence. I later learned that my baby sister went to heaven that market day. No one explained to me why she didn't have a chance on earth.

As night fell, a full moon rose, turning people's hair silver."

image (18).png

Written & illustrated by renqiulan

0%(0)
0%(0)
標 題 (必選項):
內 容 (選填項):
實用資訊
回國機票$360起 | 商務艙省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出爐:海航獲五星
海外華人福利!在線看陳建斌《三叉戟》熱血歸回 豪情築夢 高清免費看 無地區限制
一周點擊熱帖 更多>>
一周回復熱帖