设万维读者为首页 广告服务 技术服务 联系我们 关于万维
简体 繁体 手机版
分类广告
版主:纳川
万维读者网 > 天下论坛 > 帖子
美眉外交政策:斯蒂文班农在香港期间改变了他对中国的声调
送交者: 明君小雪 2017年10月07日17:45:41 于 [天下论坛] 发送悄悄话

While in Hong Kong, Steve Bannon Changes His Tone on China

Stephen K. Bannon, U.S President Donald Trump’s former chief political strategist, is famous for his general hard line on China. Days before he left his post in August, he made sensational remarks including stating that the United States is “at economic war with China.” Surprisingly, he seems to have changed tone during his recent trip to Hong Kong.

On September 12, Bannon made his first big post-White house speech on “American economic nationalism and the populist revolt and Asia” at an investor conference in a luxury Hong Kong hotel. Although the conference organizer CLSA — a unit of Citic Securities, China’s largest state-owned brokerage — refused to disclose whether it had paid Bannon for his appearance, it’s widely assumed that such event-organizers would pay a large speaking fee to such a high-profile former foreign official. For example, former U.S. President Bill Clinton made $550,000 for one speech to a business forum in Shanghai, China in 2011.

CLSA initially said Bannon’s speech would be open to some print media, but decided to close the session a day later. Despite that, multiple people who listened to the speech revealed what Bannon said.

Enjoying this article? Click here to subscribe for full access. Just $5 a month.

In August, Bannon said in an exclusive, wide-ranging interview with the American Prospect: “We’re at economic war with China… To me, the economic war with China is everything. And we have to be maniacally focused on that. If we continue to lose it, we’re five years away, I think, ten years at the most, of hitting an inflection point from which we’ll never be able to recover.”

Perhaps in an attempt to placate his hosts, Bannon significantly softened his tone while in Hong Kong. Bannon revised his wording, saying instead that the United States is at economic war with other “mercantilist states” like Japan, South Korea and China. According to the South China Morning Post, he claimed that “I believe we can avoid a trade war, which is detrimental to both countries. We have to somehow reach an agreement.”

Bannon even praised Chinese president Xi Jinping as well as China’s way of governing:

Xi is very impressive. He really understands what’s in the best interests of his people. He is very smart, very tough but fair. He is direct and to the point – just like President Trump. That is why they like each other so much.

According to Wei Du, a correspondent at Channel News Asia, Bannon also said: “Chinese way of running their economic system is quite brilliant. I tip my hat to them… there isn’t a world leader Trump respects more than the president of China. ”

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖
2016: 休里:民选的意义
2016: 新天狱博:十一个汉奸和他们的下场