万维读者网 > 教育学术 > 帖子
励志纪实电影 《风雨哈佛路》 (中英双语)
送交者: 挑挑拣拣 2015年03月21日07:07:51 于 [教育学术] 发送悄悄话

风雨哈佛路原作者Liz Murray演讲: For the Love of Possibility

风雨哈佛路【国语配音】(美国)

Homeless to Harvard Full Movie - YouTube

风雨哈佛路的剧情简介  ·  ·  ·  ·  ·  ·

Liz Murray成功故事的偶然与必然(评论: 风雨哈佛路) - 豆瓣读书

许多人从电影中认识了Liz Murray和她的故事。许多人为之感动。不论在微博上或是在网络上,许多人把她树立成学习榜样,或努力的楷模,或是美国梦的另种实现形式。当然,这是电影需要的,普通人需要的,报纸需要的,电视台需要,微博需要的,也许还是哈佛需要的。 
一个女孩,未成年,父母吸毒,生活困顿,无法上学,四处流浪,然后她下决心好好学习,决定重返校园,她边打工边学习,最终由于媒体的帮助,考上了哈佛,走向成功,毕业后她成立公司,四处演讲,帮助那些与她有着同样困难的人重回校园。 
在中国,这是一个“典型”。在美国,这同样是一个“典型”。Liz Murray赚足了人们的眼泪和感动,也让更多人心中热乎了一下,温暖了一下,决心发奋图强,不去网吧,不去酒吧,好好学习。也让苦哀哀的白领们能够振奋一下,抛开房子、车子、票子的烦恼,去好好工作一些时候。更让那些啃着“红宝书”想去哈佛的人更加秉烛夜读——一个流浪儿都考上了哈佛,自己凭什么不能? 
但读过Liz Murray写的这本描写自己真实生活的《风雨哈佛路》之后,我就读到了一些Liz光辉后的东西。Liz的故事,确实能够让人反思自己的生活,认识日子的美好,珍惜时间做点有用的事。但Liz的故事,也让人看到了媒体和电视后Liz的另一面,这也关系到Liz的哈佛之路的源头问题。我不禁思考一下,Liz是如何走上一条路,最终到达哈佛的?因为有许多细节是媒体没有提到的,也是电影中没有完整呈现的。 
如果把这本书分为两个部分——Liz的流浪生活和Liz的求学之路,那么后一部分的比重在书中也就占了三分之一。由前三分之二到这后三分之一,有几件事情让Liz从一个流浪儿心态转变成了好学生心态。 
对她影响最大的是母亲的病故。Liz的母亲因为吸毒导致的艾滋病最终病亡。虽然母亲和Liz处于长期分离的状态——母亲离婚后改嫁后Liz因为受不了继父的虐待而离家出走,但是Liz的母亲对她还是影响巨大。因为从小开始,Liz就学会照顾虚弱的母亲,并承担起扶持这个家庭的责任。虽然她母亲对她许下了许多实现不了的诺言,但Liz认为母亲是有诚意的,只不过无能为力而已。 
而电影中不曾提到的Liz的男友卡洛斯,则是促使她重回学校的另一个原因。这本书里所记述的卡洛斯,是个街面上“混”的。Liz和他相爱,但却时常缺乏安全感。她跟着卡洛斯游荡,那是她精神上和生活上的依靠。卡洛斯经常无故失踪,这让Liz只能和好友萨曼莎硬着头皮对付汽车旅馆的老板。而卡洛斯的最后一次失踪的那几天,Liz恰巧目睹了一次凶杀案的直播——这竟然就发生在她居住的旅馆房间的隔壁。这让她意识到,生命的渺小和转瞬即逝。这也促使她决定放弃这种无安全感的生活。 
而接下来,Liz辗转寄居在一些朋友家里。此时Liz依旧没有具体的求学打算,也没有目标。直到她偶尔听到一些朋友家庭因为她的讨论,她突然意识到,朋友不可能为她付房租!可以说在这一刻,她开始认真思考她的人生,思考她的现状和未来,考虑她的规划。 
她意识到了“选择”这个词的含义。Liz意识到,父母因为吸毒而让他们身陷绝境过不上好日子是因为他们无法选择,卡洛斯之所以反复的干着非法勾当而不能过上正常生活也是因为他们无法选择,她自己之所以过着流浪生活,也是因为她无法选择。 
生活能变得糟糕,也就能变得更好。 
Liz认识到,只有走出目前的现状,才能让自己拥有更多的选择。如果她持续目前的状态,那么她的未来她自己也可以看到。最原始的生存意识让她感受到前所未有的危机感。15岁的Liz开始迈出最重要的一步。 
以上这些内容,在书里有详细描述。而在电影和新闻报道中,都被忽略掉了。我想,舆论总是将人引向“努力必然成功”这样一条励志老路,却忽略了“开始努力的时间和努力的动因”这样细微得容易被人忽略、却又重要的关乎一个人命运的因素。这是读这本书最需要注意的地方。恐怕励志故事之间到底有何不同,这里才是关键。 
Liz重新读高中,花2年时间读了4年的课程,以优异成绩选择大学。期间,她一边打工挣钱生活,一边努力学习。后面的故事,就像大家知道的一样了。 
我想,Liz是一个聪明的女孩。这不仅表现在她的学业上,同时也表现在她思考的问题上。幼年家庭不幸的遭遇,让她变得早熟。幸运的是她虽然在流浪中会小偷小摸,但在大是大非面前她没有走错路。这是她的幸运。 
Liz在学习上的努力,与其说是她坚韧的性格和执着的精神,不如说是来自于最原始的生存危机意识。“下一顿饭在哪”这类的问题时刻困扰她,她不得不努力的生活。而沉重的学业负担却也成为她的动力,她相信,出路就在其中。“读书改变命运”,这是她认定的路。同时,优异的成绩和独特的经历,引起了媒体关注。她又成功了。这又是她的幸运。 
因此,我不得不说,Liz生活中的紧迫感和压力,是常人所感受不到的。我相信很多人如果换位Liz,也能做出类似的成就。但是,也会有更多人变得堕落。所以,Liz的成功,带有一定偶然因素,也带有很强烈的主观意识。但也正如Liz目前事业的目标一样,还有更多的辍学流浪者淹没在人海中,他们仍旧需要帮助。而Liz更愿意让他们受到教育,迎来更多选择机会,从而改变自己的人生。 
这本书也告诉所有人,你的命运把握在你自己手里。她只是讲了她的故事。虽然带有一定偶然因素,但是你需要尝试,反复努力,才能拉近你梦想的生活。选择,是这本书最好的词。你只有通过努力让自己远离目前的处境,才能为自己赢得更多选择的机会。而这些机会能让你保持自己的尊严,赢得别人的尊重,过上更好的生活,活得更有意义。 
这将是这本书带给人们的最大意义

Liz Murray在DePauw University的演讲实录 

April 6, 2005, Greencastle, Ind. - "It's not about Harvard, it's not about a prestigious school," says Liz Murray of her incredible and uplifting life story, which she shared with an audience at DePauw University tonight. "It's not about that. It's about learning, about educating yourself and gathering enough knowledge to find your way through any little crack or crevice you possibly can so you can move up and escape from that trap you were born into." 

The 24-year-old Murray, who went from living on the streets of New York City to winning a scholarship to Harvard University, delivered The Timothy and Sharon Ubben Lecture, "Homeless to Harvard: A Remarkable Journey," in Kresge Auditorium of DePauw's Performing Arts Center. Working without notes and addressing her audience from the edge of the stage, Murray detailed how she was born to drug-addicted parents, and how as a child, living in squalor, her parents and everyone she knew was living month-to-month on government checks. 

"I didn't even know that people worked when I was younger, 'cause you have to think about -- what does a kid seeing when they're little. I saw that people cashed welfare checks... they were happy to see the mailman, he was like Santa Claus or something or some celebrity -- and we'd go to the check cashing store and there would be a line wrapped around the block for an hour-and-a-half" on the days checks arrived, she remembered. Her parents would spend the bulk of the money on drugs; about $30 a month was all the family of four spent on food, and Murray's parents would go without food for several days at a time. 

Despite the tumultous environment in which she was raised, Murray says she has always loved her parents. Her life, already in disarray, unraveled quickly when her mother was diagnosed with HIV. Her mother moved out, her father went to a homeless shelter, and Murray, then a young teen, was sent to a group home. Her unpleasant experiences there led her to run away and she lived on the streets of New York City, eating out of dumpsters and sleeping at friends' houses or on subway trains, but in her own words, "going nowhere." The year Murray turned 16, her mother died, and her view of life changed. 

"I got the sense that my life was in my own hands," she told her DePauw audience. "And I knew that already, but it's different when a parent dies; maybe some of you know what I mean. You look around and strangers become more strange, big institutional buildings look scarier, everything looks more alien, nothing is friendly. There's no person to think about yourself through. It truly is yourself in the world, and that's it. I realized my own isolation and I realized there never would be somebody to kind of filter me in the world. And I went back with my friends, and without having her to think about anymore -- I mean I did, but not the same way -- I sat with them and I realized that I had been falsely relying on my friends. I realized that, at the end of the day, whatever I did or did not do with my life would stick to me, even if I hung out with them." 

Murray, whose story is chronicled in the Lifetime Emmy-nominated movie, From Homeless to Harvard: The Liz Murray Story, enrolled in an alternative high school at age 17; when most of the people her age were graduating, she was starting. Guided by an understanding teacher/mentor and fueled by a desire to make something of her life, Murray finished high school in two years while still sleeping where she could find a place to lay her head at night. When she visited Harvard on a school trip, a seed was planted. Murray applied for a New York Times scholarship and was one of six students selected out of the thousands of applicants. A story profiling the scholarship winners was published on the cover of the Times' metro section. 

"I really didn't understand the power of the media before that, but I found out," Murray said with a chuckle. "You know [that] New Yorkers have this reputation for being really cold, right? Well, the readers of the newspaper came out of their houses around [the school] and brought me sweaters and clothing their kids weren't using anymore. Some lady came just to give me a hug! Another came just with some cookies, then she said to me, 'I don't have any money, Liz, but I have a stationwagon and a house. Do you have any laundry?,' she asked me. 'I just want to do your laundry.'" 

Murray's story was featured on ABC's 20/20 and she was a guest of Oprah Winfrey, becoming the first recipient of the talk show host's Chutzpah Award. Murray transferred from Harvard to Columbia University to be closer to her father, who is ill. She had been studying film, but after talking about her experiences in front of audiences around the nation and the world over the past few years. "My interests broadened because I realize that I have certain insights based on what had happened to me, and I had this opportunity to share with people and go back-and-forth and maybe draw some meaning out of it." She now has her sights set on a masters degree in sociology and psychology hoping to "understand what creates motivation in a human being and how to apply that in society. Is there a way to create upward mobility? Is there a way to break class differences?," she asked. Murray's ultimate goal is to create a coaching and seminar company that will work with groups, perhaps specializing in inner-city schools.  "Instead of just speaking about my life, I want that to be a footnote, and I want to offer strategies to people." 

励志哥追梦: 中国合伙人

武则天与神秀、惠能的故事

致我们终将逝去的青春 (电影)

一代宗师《玄奘大师》 真实的唐僧“西游记”

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>