萬維讀者網 > 教育學術 > 帖子
勵志紀實電影 《風雨哈佛路》 (中英雙語)
送交者: 挑挑揀揀 2015年03月21日07:07:51 於 [教育學術] 發送悄悄話

風雨哈佛路原作者Liz Murray演講: For the Love of Possibility

風雨哈佛路【國語配音】(美國)

Homeless to Harvard Full Movie - YouTube

風雨哈佛路的劇情簡介  ·  ·  ·  ·  ·  ·

Liz Murray成功故事的偶然與必然(評論: 風雨哈佛路) - 豆瓣讀書

許多人從電影中認識了Liz Murray和她的故事。許多人為之感動。不論在微博上或是在網絡上,許多人把她樹立成學習榜樣,或努力的楷模,或是美國夢的另種實現形式。當然,這是電影需要的,普通人需要的,報紙需要的,電視台需要,微博需要的,也許還是哈佛需要的。 
一個女孩,未成年,父母吸毒,生活困頓,無法上學,四處流浪,然後她下決心好好學習,決定重返校園,她邊打工邊學習,最終由於媒體的幫助,考上了哈佛,走向成功,畢業後她成立公司,四處演講,幫助那些與她有着同樣困難的人重回校園。 
在中國,這是一個“典型”。在美國,這同樣是一個“典型”。Liz Murray賺足了人們的眼淚和感動,也讓更多人心中熱乎了一下,溫暖了一下,決心發奮圖強,不去網吧,不去酒吧,好好學習。也讓苦哀哀的白領們能夠振奮一下,拋開房子、車子、票子的煩惱,去好好工作一些時候。更讓那些啃着“紅寶書”想去哈佛的人更加秉燭夜讀——一個流浪兒都考上了哈佛,自己憑什麼不能? 
但讀過Liz Murray寫的這本描寫自己真實生活的《風雨哈佛路》之後,我就讀到了一些Liz光輝後的東西。Liz的故事,確實能夠讓人反思自己的生活,認識日子的美好,珍惜時間做點有用的事。但Liz的故事,也讓人看到了媒體和電視後Liz的另一面,這也關繫到Liz的哈佛之路的源頭問題。我不禁思考一下,Liz是如何走上一條路,最終到達哈佛的?因為有許多細節是媒體沒有提到的,也是電影中沒有完整呈現的。 
如果把這本書分為兩個部分——Liz的流浪生活和Liz的求學之路,那麼後一部分的比重在書中也就占了三分之一。由前三分之二到這後三分之一,有幾件事情讓Liz從一個流浪兒心態轉變成了好學生心態。 
對她影響最大的是母親的病故。Liz的母親因為吸毒導致的艾滋病最終病亡。雖然母親和Liz處於長期分離的狀態——母親離婚後改嫁後Liz因為受不了繼父的虐待而離家出走,但是Liz的母親對她還是影響巨大。因為從小開始,Liz就學會照顧虛弱的母親,並承擔起扶持這個家庭的責任。雖然她母親對她許下了許多實現不了的諾言,但Liz認為母親是有誠意的,只不過無能為力而已。 
而電影中不曾提到的Liz的男友卡洛斯,則是促使她重回學校的另一個原因。這本書裡所記述的卡洛斯,是個街面上“混”的。Liz和他相愛,但卻時常缺乏安全感。她跟着卡洛斯遊蕩,那是她精神上和生活上的依靠。卡洛斯經常無故失蹤,這讓Liz只能和好友薩曼莎硬着頭皮對付汽車旅館的老闆。而卡洛斯的最後一次失蹤的那幾天,Liz恰巧目睹了一次兇殺案的直播——這竟然就發生在她居住的旅館房間的隔壁。這讓她意識到,生命的渺小和轉瞬即逝。這也促使她決定放棄這種無安全感的生活。 
而接下來,Liz輾轉寄居在一些朋友家裡。此時Liz依舊沒有具體的求學打算,也沒有目標。直到她偶爾聽到一些朋友家庭因為她的討論,她突然意識到,朋友不可能為她付房租!可以說在這一刻,她開始認真思考她的人生,思考她的現狀和未來,考慮她的規劃。 
她意識到了“選擇”這個詞的含義。Liz意識到,父母因為吸毒而讓他們身陷絕境過不上好日子是因為他們無法選擇,卡洛斯之所以反覆的干着非法勾當而不能過上正常生活也是因為他們無法選擇,她自己之所以過着流浪生活,也是因為她無法選擇。 
生活能變得糟糕,也就能變得更好。 
Liz認識到,只有走出目前的現狀,才能讓自己擁有更多的選擇。如果她持續目前的狀態,那麼她的未來她自己也可以看到。最原始的生存意識讓她感受到前所未有的危機感。15歲的Liz開始邁出最重要的一步。 
以上這些內容,在書裡有詳細描述。而在電影和新聞報道中,都被忽略掉了。我想,輿論總是將人引向“努力必然成功”這樣一條勵志老路,卻忽略了“開始努力的時間和努力的動因”這樣細微得容易被人忽略、卻又重要的關乎一個人命運的因素。這是讀這本書最需要注意的地方。恐怕勵志故事之間到底有何不同,這裡才是關鍵。 
Liz重新讀高中,花2年時間讀了4年的課程,以優異成績選擇大學。期間,她一邊打工掙錢生活,一邊努力學習。後面的故事,就像大家知道的一樣了。 
我想,Liz是一個聰明的女孩。這不僅表現在她的學業上,同時也表現在她思考的問題上。幼年家庭不幸的遭遇,讓她變得早熟。幸運的是她雖然在流浪中會小偷小摸,但在大是大非面前她沒有走錯路。這是她的幸運。 
Liz在學習上的努力,與其說是她堅韌的性格和執着的精神,不如說是來自於最原始的生存危機意識。“下一頓飯在哪”這類的問題時刻困擾她,她不得不努力的生活。而沉重的學業負擔卻也成為她的動力,她相信,出路就在其中。“讀書改變命運”,這是她認定的路。同時,優異的成績和獨特的經歷,引起了媒體關注。她又成功了。這又是她的幸運。 
因此,我不得不說,Liz生活中的緊迫感和壓力,是常人所感受不到的。我相信很多人如果換位Liz,也能做出類似的成就。但是,也會有更多人變得墮落。所以,Liz的成功,帶有一定偶然因素,也帶有很強烈的主觀意識。但也正如Liz目前事業的目標一樣,還有更多的輟學流浪者淹沒在人海中,他們仍舊需要幫助。而Liz更願意讓他們受到教育,迎來更多選擇機會,從而改變自己的人生。 
這本書也告訴所有人,你的命運把握在你自己手裡。她只是講了她的故事。雖然帶有一定偶然因素,但是你需要嘗試,反覆努力,才能拉近你夢想的生活。選擇,是這本書最好的詞。你只有通過努力讓自己遠離目前的處境,才能為自己贏得更多選擇的機會。而這些機會能讓你保持自己的尊嚴,贏得別人的尊重,過上更好的生活,活得更有意義。 
這將是這本書帶給人們的最大意義

Liz Murray在DePauw University的演講實錄 

April 6, 2005, Greencastle, Ind. - "It's not about Harvard, it's not about a prestigious school," says Liz Murray of her incredible and uplifting life story, which she shared with an audience at DePauw University tonight. "It's not about that. It's about learning, about educating yourself and gathering enough knowledge to find your way through any little crack or crevice you possibly can so you can move up and escape from that trap you were born into." 

The 24-year-old Murray, who went from living on the streets of New York City to winning a scholarship to Harvard University, delivered The Timothy and Sharon Ubben Lecture, "Homeless to Harvard: A Remarkable Journey," in Kresge Auditorium of DePauw's Performing Arts Center. Working without notes and addressing her audience from the edge of the stage, Murray detailed how she was born to drug-addicted parents, and how as a child, living in squalor, her parents and everyone she knew was living month-to-month on government checks. 

"I didn't even know that people worked when I was younger, 'cause you have to think about -- what does a kid seeing when they're little. I saw that people cashed welfare checks... they were happy to see the mailman, he was like Santa Claus or something or some celebrity -- and we'd go to the check cashing store and there would be a line wrapped around the block for an hour-and-a-half" on the days checks arrived, she remembered. Her parents would spend the bulk of the money on drugs; about $30 a month was all the family of four spent on food, and Murray's parents would go without food for several days at a time. 

Despite the tumultous environment in which she was raised, Murray says she has always loved her parents. Her life, already in disarray, unraveled quickly when her mother was diagnosed with HIV. Her mother moved out, her father went to a homeless shelter, and Murray, then a young teen, was sent to a group home. Her unpleasant experiences there led her to run away and she lived on the streets of New York City, eating out of dumpsters and sleeping at friends' houses or on subway trains, but in her own words, "going nowhere." The year Murray turned 16, her mother died, and her view of life changed. 

"I got the sense that my life was in my own hands," she told her DePauw audience. "And I knew that already, but it's different when a parent dies; maybe some of you know what I mean. You look around and strangers become more strange, big institutional buildings look scarier, everything looks more alien, nothing is friendly. There's no person to think about yourself through. It truly is yourself in the world, and that's it. I realized my own isolation and I realized there never would be somebody to kind of filter me in the world. And I went back with my friends, and without having her to think about anymore -- I mean I did, but not the same way -- I sat with them and I realized that I had been falsely relying on my friends. I realized that, at the end of the day, whatever I did or did not do with my life would stick to me, even if I hung out with them." 

Murray, whose story is chronicled in the Lifetime Emmy-nominated movie, From Homeless to Harvard: The Liz Murray Story, enrolled in an alternative high school at age 17; when most of the people her age were graduating, she was starting. Guided by an understanding teacher/mentor and fueled by a desire to make something of her life, Murray finished high school in two years while still sleeping where she could find a place to lay her head at night. When she visited Harvard on a school trip, a seed was planted. Murray applied for a New York Times scholarship and was one of six students selected out of the thousands of applicants. A story profiling the scholarship winners was published on the cover of the Times' metro section. 

"I really didn't understand the power of the media before that, but I found out," Murray said with a chuckle. "You know [that] New Yorkers have this reputation for being really cold, right? Well, the readers of the newspaper came out of their houses around [the school] and brought me sweaters and clothing their kids weren't using anymore. Some lady came just to give me a hug! Another came just with some cookies, then she said to me, 'I don't have any money, Liz, but I have a stationwagon and a house. Do you have any laundry?,' she asked me. 'I just want to do your laundry.'" 

Murray's story was featured on ABC's 20/20 and she was a guest of Oprah Winfrey, becoming the first recipient of the talk show host's Chutzpah Award. Murray transferred from Harvard to Columbia University to be closer to her father, who is ill. She had been studying film, but after talking about her experiences in front of audiences around the nation and the world over the past few years. "My interests broadened because I realize that I have certain insights based on what had happened to me, and I had this opportunity to share with people and go back-and-forth and maybe draw some meaning out of it." She now has her sights set on a masters degree in sociology and psychology hoping to "understand what creates motivation in a human being and how to apply that in society. Is there a way to create upward mobility? Is there a way to break class differences?," she asked. Murray's ultimate goal is to create a coaching and seminar company that will work with groups, perhaps specializing in inner-city schools.  "Instead of just speaking about my life, I want that to be a footnote, and I want to offer strategies to people." 

勵志哥追夢: 中國合伙人

武則天與神秀、惠能的故事

致我們終將逝去的青春 (電影)

一代宗師《玄奘大師》 真實的唐僧“西遊記”

0%(0)
0%(0)
標 題 (必選項):
內 容 (選填項):
實用資訊
回國機票$360起 | 商務艙省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出爐:海航獲五星
海外華人福利!在線看陳建斌《三叉戟》熱血歸回 豪情築夢 高清免費看 無地區限制
一周點擊熱帖 更多>>