设万维读者为首页 广告服务 技术服务 联系我们 关于万维
简体 繁体 手机版
分类广告
版主:
万维读者网 > 新 大 陆 > 帖子
阿妞不牛:从无家可归到有缘哈佛的美国女孩
送交者: 阿妞不牛 2012年06月07日21:37:14 于 [新 大 陆] 发送悄悄话

CNN今天报道,北卡州一个无家可归的女孩,以惊人的毅力逆境成才,靠在学校当勤杂工读完高中,各科成绩全优,今夏高中毕业,获得哈佛大学奖助学金,今秋将入读哈佛。

这个女孩的生涯反映出美国一个日益严重的社会问题:目前有至少一百六十万学龄儿童无家可归。这些孩子的父母,由于社会与自身的各种原因,诸如早育,非婚,离婚,离异,吸毒,艾滋病,失业,犯罪,等等,对家庭与子女不愿或者不能尽起码的义务,抛弃子女,致使他们的孩子无家可归。尽管美国实行强制普及高中义务教育,但是学校并不能成为育婴堂托儿所或者青少年收容所,美国社会从政府到民间慈善机构,对这样日益严重的青少年失家流落现象,虽然有不少投入,但也只是杯水车薪,爱莫能助。

这个名叫黎明-珞金丝的女孩,从小就被父母亲遗弃在奶奶(外婆?)家。奶奶家也是贫苦甚至愚昧不堪,据她说这个奶奶从来没教过她要洗澡,经常几个月不冲凉,一个月也没衣服换。她到十三岁时母亲跟着继父才把她带走,然而父母回来了却还是从来没有一个像样的稳定的家。家中经常因为欠费被断水断电,她只好向学校老师要蜡烛在家读书做作业。他们租住的房子常常还因为交不起房租被赶走。她的初中换了三个学校,高中也换了三个。到她升高三时,母亲又不辞而别,扔下她和弟弟。

所幸她就读的中学伸出援手,师生多方关照,让她有居留之所,同时安排她在学校兼职做一份勤杂工。小黎明黎明即起,早上六点就到学校开始卫生值班,工作满满两个小时之后开始进教室上课。她就这样,靠着勤奋工作与刻苦学习,不但保持各科学业全优,还赢得了全校师生的赞誉推荐,被哈佛相中录取,得到了免除学费的奖学金,并提供在校勤工俭学职位作为其生活来源。

这位小姑娘,在接受CNN和当地报刊媒体采访时,落落大方,朴素平实。 她说,我不怨天尤人。我感激学校和一切帮助我的人。但是,一切要靠自己。

天助自助者。逆境成才,庄敬自强,天下同理。当然,社会需要公理与关爱,如果一昧功利,如果普遍道德沦丧,这样的成才的孩子背后,在显现良知的同时,还有一个社会的巨大阴影。

North Carolina high school senior goes from homeless to Harvard

Brainy 18-year-old was adandoned by her parents when she was a child

StumbleUpon
Tumblr
Digg
Reddit
Email
Print
The 18-year old has worked hard all her life to reach this point where her life is full of possibilities.

WBTV.COM/6988KID VIA YOUTUBE

The 18-year old has worked hard all her life to reach this point where her life is full of possibilities.

WBTV.COM/6988KID VIA YOUTUBE

Dawn Loggins of Lawndale, North Carolina, a teen who has lived a life of hardship, has had her dream come true when she received an acceptance letter from Harvard on a partial scholarship.

The bare minimum would be expected for most high school seniors who’ve been abandoned by their parents, slept on friends’ couches and had to work part-time jobs to survive.

But Dawn Loggins, a brainy 18-year-old from North Carolina, dreamed of more: Now, she’s headed for Harvard University in spite of growing up homeless.

Loggins found out two months ago she was accepted to the Ivy League institution and recently visited the campus, she told the Charlotte Observer.

“I wondered how I’d be accepted, being homeless and from a rural area in North Carolina,” she said. “But everyone — the students and faculty — was great. ”

Loggins’ inspirational story caught the attention of CNN, which plans to be at her Burns High School graduation Thursday, the newspaper reported.

Child homelessness is a growing problem, with about 1.6 million U.S. kids without a proper roof over their heads, according to the National Center on Family Homelessness.

Stats are sketchier on how many homeless high school seniors actually move on to college — and earn a prestigious Ivy education to boot.

“There were a lot of things outside Dawn’s control,” Robyn Putnam, a counselor at Burns High in Lawndale, N.C., told The Observer. “But Dawn learned that succeeding in school was something she could control.”

Abandoned by her parents, Loggins and her brother were living with their grandmother. That’s when the teasing started, she told WBTV in Charlotte.

Her grandmother “never really explained to me ... that it was important to shower — it was important to take care of yourself, so I would go months at a time without showering,” Loggins said. “I would wear the same dress to school for months at a time.”

Her mother and a stepfather came back into her life when she turned 13, but they brought little stability, according to reports.

“We were evicted several times,” Loggins told WBTV. “I went to three different middle schools, three different high schools.”

Her parents were unable to pay the utility bills, and there were times the teen did her homework by candlelight, she said.

In March 2010, Loggins’ mother enrolled her at Burns High as a sophomore. By her junior year, her parents skipped town again, but Loggins was taken in by a friend’s mother, according to The Observer.

She took a job as a janitor at her school, arriving for her two-hour shift at 6 a.m. Through it all, she also kept good grades, earning straight A’s and ranking 10th in her class.

At Harvard, she’ll rely on grants and take an on-campus job to pay for her tuition and board, according to reports.

Loggins said she holds no ill-will toward her parents or grandmother, and that she learned a valuable lesson: that having a good work ethic can help overcome adversity.

“There are no excuses,” Loggins told WBTV. “It all depends on you, and no one else.

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖
2011: 真实用意是把教主说成是万能的神
2011: 森林之城:“四路停”与“路路停”