幫助亞裔第二代認清真相?來聽這位90後傳道人
送交者: 生命季刊 2020年07月09日10:42:50 於 [天下論壇] 發送悄悄話

上圖為土桑華人基督教會青年團契

種族問題淺談

On The Race Issue 1& 2

文 | 胡晟宇
北美動態專稿

編者按

本文作者胡晟宇(Sheng Hu)4歲半來美國。大學畢業工作幾年後,於2015年蒙神的呼召就讀三一神學院,獲得道學(MDiv)學位;現於土桑華人基督教會英文堂事奉。本文為教會長老翻譯,英文原文附後。下面的兩個音頻不是本文的語音資料,而是作者在本教會的英文證道信息,題目是“Social Justice”。

目前華裔年輕的第二代對“社會公義”、“種族歧視”等議題,與第一代的父母親可能持不同觀點。作者身為在美國長大的90後青年傳道人,力求從聖經角度出發來探討今天年輕人所遇到的挑戰。相信他的文章及證道,會對同代人有啟發,有幫助。歡迎各位讀者將此文轉發給您的子女或教會中的第二代。

以下兩個音頻為胡晟宇傳道6月日證道信息(英文):

一、關於種族問題

On The Race Issue_1

2020525日喬治·弗洛伊德(George Floyd)的死在美國引發了一系列政治和文化運動,激起了有關種族關係和社會公正的激烈辯論。這些問題並非三言兩語能說清楚,但是我想指出一些我認為與美國亞裔基督徒(AAC)有關的重要問題。

種族間的緊張關係在美國根深蒂固。從特雷馮·馬丁(Trayvon Martin)的死開始,到邁克·布朗(Mike Brown),埃里克·加德納(Eric Gardner),菲蘭多·卡斯蒂利亞(Philodo Castile),最後是喬治·弗洛伊德(George Floyd),近十幾年來警察的殘暴執法成為公眾關注和議論最多的問題。在更廣範圍內,種族問題當然也涉及拉美裔,亞裔和猶太裔,但問題的重心似乎位於白人和黑人之間,尤其是白人警察與年輕黑人男性之間。

讓我們從美國的亞裔基督徒的角度來討論以下幾個問題:

1. 從美國歷史和政治角度來看此事件的實質是什麼?

2. 目前在教會眾多第二代的年輕的亞裔基督徒中,他們的觀點是什麼?

3. 作為美國的亞裔基督徒,我們在政治和屬靈立場上對此事應該持什麼態度?

我在這裡先討論第一個和第二個問題:真正的問題是什麼?(適用於對美國政治和歷史不太了解的第一代移民)。此外,大多數美國的亞裔基督徒持什麼觀點?

從歷史政治角度來看,過去幾周發生的一切都是對喬治·弗洛伊德(George Floyd)被警察跪殺事件的回應。對此事件我不再做描述;建議大家親自查看新聞及相關視頻,我認為那段視頻錄像已經將事件說明的很清楚。該警察已被控謀殺罪,正在等待審判。弗洛伊德的死實際上只是壓垮駱駝的最後一根稻草。發生的抗議活動不僅是針對這一事件,更是針對黑人社區一系列事件(包括Trayvon MartinMike BrownPhilando CastileFreddie Gray等人死亡)所積累的憤怒的回應。其中最激進的聲音認為,美國警界骨子裡對黑人有歧視。這至少在種族問題方面成為美國社會不公正的一個典型,其他方面包括經濟,教育,醫療保健,政治等。總體上,抗議者認為,美國這個國家根子裡有種族歧視,她的制度無處不體現着白人優越。因此,美國的制度體系需要重建,方能消弭種族主義和對有色人種(黑人,還有亞裔,拉丁裔,猶太裔等)的不公平待遇。

抗議活動的批評者對騷亂,搶劫和無理的改革訴求提出了擔憂。例如,在西雅圖,抗議者實際上占領了市中心的6個街區,並宣稱成為一個獨立的政府,稱為CHAZ(國會山自治區)。同樣,明尼阿波利斯市也已正式投票決定完全解除其警局(612日),其他城市(包括圖森)也出現類似的爭論。值得一提的是,並非所有示威者都贊同類似CHAZ的做法或解除警局。但呼籲採取此類措施的聲音似乎勝過保守的聲音。客觀地講,無論屬於何種政治派別,大多數美國人似乎非常擔心美國的政治文化的未來。

據我觀察,大多數美國出生的華人似乎對這些問題知之甚少。儘管這是一個非常複雜的問題,我注意到,大家的政治文化素養普遍偏低。大多數大學生似乎只是照搬他們從教授和朋友那裡聽到的信息。大多數社交媒體政治上都屬於自由派,與其不同的觀點往往被淹沒,被無視或被消失。這種對種族問題不甚了解的趨勢隨着年齡的增長逐漸下降。所以,越是年輕人,就越不在乎,也就越不了解情況。

我發現年輕的牧師傾向於社會公正運動,而年長的第一代移民往往根本不參與。我本人不贊成社會公正運動的思想觀念,認為這對教會和整個社會都是危險的,但大多數千禧一代的同輩們不認同我的觀點。在我的印象中,千禧一代的亞裔牧師大多數親社會公正運動。因此,沒有經驗的年輕亞裔基督徒大多也親社會公正運動。這主要是因為他們信任自己的牧師且聽牧師的話,自己沒花時間去弄清問題的本質。這種狀況有利也有弊。不利的是,不知不覺中,大多數二代美國亞裔基督徒傾向於社會公正運動。樂觀的是,當他們接觸到新的信息時,世界觀更容易受到挑戰,思想更容易被說服轉向另一派,因為他們原有的觀念並不根深蒂固。相反,無論出於體制還是個人原因,教會領袖的觀念都很難改變。這點,我不做過多的解釋,唯恐冒犯教牧的權威。

有趣的是,我發現一個很奇怪的現象,美國一些保守的福音派亞裔基督徒也不能認清社會公正運動所標榜的潛在的意識形態。通常,這類基督徒都非常忠於主,反對同性戀婚姻,反對墮胎,日常生活很保守。但是,當涉及到特定的種族問題時,他們會接受與基督教信仰非常不一致的抽象原則——這些原則,如果邏輯上走到極端並且運用到現實生活中,將導致無法接受的結果。我不想責怪任何人,畢竟,分辨神的旨意需要時間和實踐(羅馬書 122)。我只是想鼓勵大家,因為我相信大多數美國亞裔基督徒都很理性,只要有足夠的教導和信息,都能形成與聖經價值觀相一致的世界觀。

二、什麼是社會公正?

What Is Social Justice?

社會公正一詞最近常常見諸媒體,意思卻很含糊。我能找到的最簡潔的定義是:在一個社會裡,財富、機會、特權和資源分配公平。涉及到種族問題時,社會公正跟這種思想捆綁在一起,認為:美國從骨子裡歧視有色人種,我們需要改變她的體系來為有色人種爭取公平的結果。我想就兩點展開討論:

一,美國真的從骨子裡歧視有色人種並需要改變嗎?

二,即便是,教會需要參與嗎?如果需要,如何參與?

對這兩個問題,我的答案都是否定的。

美國骨子裡有種族歧視嗎?

現今,一種被炒作的政治言論就是美國從骨子裡歧視有色人種。在我們討論這個問題之前,有個重要的定義得先弄明白:什麼叫種族主義?(在美國)傳統上,種族主義就是因別人的膚色低看別人,把他們當劣等人種對待。換句話說,種族主義是因膚色引起的偏愛或偏見。在經濟和政治領域,種族主義體現為對膚色不同的人區別對待。比如,一個膚色深的人想去某家餐館吃飯,他願意付賬也付得起賬,卻不讓他進,不為別的,只因他的膚色深了點。又比如,在吉姆克勞(Jimmy Crow)時期,美國南方施行兩套法律,白人一套黑人一套。白人黑人膚色不同,法律的標準也就不一樣。但是,1964 年《民權法案》通過後,美國就不再這樣了,種族歧視是違法的。

然而,20 世紀 60-70 年代起,種族主義的定義就開始變,而且變得越來越離譜。今天,社會公正的推手們所謂的種族歧視更多指的是結果與權力的不均等,跟幾十年前的意思完全不一樣。就是說,如果一個膚色深的人在一個機構里沒有獲得與白人同等的地位、財富或特權,這個機構就存在種族歧視,那些在這個機構里不成比例受益的人就成了所謂的種族主義者。(譯者註:照社會公正的推手們的說法,好大學不成比例地招收亞裔學生,就是搞種族歧視,亞裔學生不成比例地進了好大學,就是種族主義者;要消弭這種種族歧視,就得人為地干預大學招生,保證錄取結果的均等,而不問學生的付出。)

聖經上多處譴責傳統意義上的種族主義(使徒行傳 1034-35,雅各書 28-9)。神不允許我們用不同的標準對待不同的族群。但是,上面提到的第二種種族主義卻不符合聖經教導。聖經上從來沒要求一個社會必須這樣構建:保證不同族群能取得相同的結果,包括特權和權力。

舉個例子,以色列有十二支派,但不都有同等的權力。創世記 49 章記載,雅各臨終前給十二個兒子祝福,有的得到的多,有的得到的少,聖經沒告訴我們什麼原因。之後征服迦南時,各支派本該按照人數多少分地(民數記 3354),事實卻非如此。但、以薩迦和西布倫三支派人多,分到的地卻不成比例的小(約書亞記 1910-2340-46)。也許,有人說這不公平。但是,沒有哪位士師、君王或先知,甚至神自己譴責這種分地的不均。另一方面,摩西的律法適用於每個支派,適用於每個人。神不允許我們偏待人(利未記 1915,出埃及記 232-3)。這就是神要求的公正。祂沒要求所有族群都有相同的結果。俗語說結果不均就是不平等,這話經不起聖經的檢驗。作為基督徒,我們不能容忍對公正一詞的不符合聖經的重新定義。那樣做等於稱惡為善,稱善為惡(以賽亞書 5 20)。

更進一步,眼下這種社會公正的思潮從常理看也有一個原則性的錯誤:它沒有考慮人的選擇與責任。只有每個人、每個族群的天賦、才智、價值觀、文化及職業道德完全相同,才可能出現結果的均等。實際生活告訴我們,這根本不現實,這種期待很荒唐。舉個例子,亞裔在美國職業體育界的代表性嚴重不足,這是否意味着美國歧視亞裔?我不否認歧視亞裔的個案的存在(比如林書豪所遭遇的),但若說亞裔在美國職業體育界代表性嚴重不足是種族歧視的結果就是胡說八道了。要是這樣的話,怎麼解釋亞裔在學術界的卓越表現呢?事實上,亞裔對於體育的重視程度遠不及其他族裔。亞裔家庭和學生更關心學習成績和拉小提琴,而不是職業籃球。亞裔在職業體育界的代表性嚴重不足是文化理念的差異造成的,我們不能自欺欺人地怪罪體制或種族歧視。

同樣的原則可以運用到其他方面。例如,黑色和黃色人種(譯者註:指墨西哥裔)在大學裡代表性不足。這是事實。但是,有據可查的事實顯明許多黑人社區崇尚讀書無用論。我們討論黑人在大學裡代表性不足的時候,不能忽略這點吧?還有,跟白人比起來,監獄裡的黑人不成比例的高,這也是事實。但是,我們討論坐監的問題的時候,也不能視而不見年輕黑人男性犯罪率高的事實吧(美國一半以上的暴力犯罪是黑人男性干的,按人口比例,這是白人的 8 倍)?不同種族在教育水平和坐監率上的差異是不是因為文化差異而造成的呢?一個人需要故意無視大量的數據事實才能大肆渲染美國每個主要機構都故意根據膚色歧視有色人種

對社會公正的批判

即便說美國是個不完美的社會(可以說每個國家都不完美),教會應該在多大程度上參與社會政治運動呢?我們要謹記一點:教會的使命是去讓萬民做耶穌的門徒(馬太福音 2819)。教會的工作就是拯救人的靈魂,不至於下地獄。唯一的方法就是讓人認自己的罪,悔改,相信耶穌基督,接受耶穌做他們的救主和主。要完成這一使命,教會要去傳講福音(羅馬書 1014)。

現今,有很多人引述耶穌救助窮人、醫治病人的例子,認為這是整全的布道的典範(既傳講福音,又改變世界)。但是,這是有前提的。

首先,幫助窮人和消除貧困是有區別的。前者是幫助窮人有一顆新造的心,是由愛心而生出的好行為;後者是一項任務,一個目標,一項工程。耶穌當然幫過窮人,但他無意消除貧困。他醫治大麻瘋病人,但無意消除大麻瘋病。耶穌呼喚我們要有同情心,當鄰舍遇到困境,我們會自然而然地幫助他們。同時,耶穌也指出這世上會有貧窮、痛苦和苦難(馬太福音 2611,羅馬書 818-21)。期待教會成功消除世上的不公正與苦難,就太天真了,即使嘗試去做,也不會成功。

其次,耶穌所行的醫治都是為了證明祂所傳的道(馬可福音 138,約翰福音 2030- 31,使徒行傳 222)。神跡和醫治的主要目的不是為了讓人在地上過的更好一些。耶穌行神跡是為了輔助祂傳講福音,幫助人相信祂就是彌賽亞。如果神跡不能幫助人建立對祂的信心,耶穌就不施行神跡了(馬太福音 1358,約翰福音 626-66)。今天,人們常常把追求社會公正當作終極目標,仿佛男女都無需洗心革面、只要能使這個世界變得更好就有內在價值。

最後,當耶穌再來,創造新天新地的時候,我們為這個世界所能做的一切都將化為灰燼(彼得後書 310,啟示錄 215)。假設你在即將沉入大海的泰坦尼克號上,船上的每個人都要隨之沉沒。當一艘救援輪來搭救乘客時,一個人想盡力拯救註定要滅亡的泰坦尼克號,那是非常愚蠢的。正確的做法是他竭盡全力上那艘救援輪,並幫助其他人上船。論到救恩,同樣的道理。這個世界註定要被毀滅。神要創造一個新的世界,一個新的國度——一個沒有罪、沒有痛苦、沒有苦難和死亡的世界。神呼召我們信靠耶穌,好在神的國里有份。如果我們將全部的精力用於挽救這個世界,就會同它一起滅亡。我們要做的不是修補這個世界,而是讓自己和更多的人進入神的國。

教會的目的是使人做耶穌的門徒。如果能順便使這個世界變好一點,那當然好。如果不能,也不用擔心。當耶穌再來,祂將更新一切。我們的任務就是與聖靈同工,使更多的人進入神的國。一萬年後,教會不會回顧這短暫的今生,不會因為我們沒有做更多以減輕身體之苦而懊悔,只會為那些在地獄裡受苦的靈魂而懊悔,在那裡蟲是不死的,火是不滅的。落入地獄的人會永遠與神隔絕,沒有安息,沒有光明,沒有盼望。如果你真的想為主做工,請為還不認識基督的人禱告,向他們傳福音,剩下的就交給神。(待續)

附錄英文:

On the Race Issue_1

The killing of George Floyd on May 25, 2020 has set in motion a series of political and cultural movements that have sparked intense debate in America about race-relations and social justice. A comprehensive examination of these topics would take far too long than I have time for, but I will seek to address some of the major issues that in my assessment pertain to Asian American Christians (AAC).

Racial tension has always run deep in America. But in the past decade or so, beginning with the death of Trayvon Martin, followed by that of Mike Brown, Eric Gardner, Philando Castile, and ultimately George Floyd, the issue of police brutality has seen the most public discussion and scrutiny. And while Latinos, Asians, and Jews are certainly part of the larger discussion of racial injustice, the center of mass seems to lie between whites and blacks, and particularly between white cops and black young males.

There are many questions that need to be addressed from the perspectives of AAC’s. 1. What is the real issue, with respect to American history and politics? 2. What is the current milieu in the church among young, mostly second-generation, Asian Christians? 3. As AAC’s, where should we stand on this issue politically and spiritually in this article, I will address the first and second question: What is the real issue? (for first-generation immigrants who do not feel knowledgeable in American politics and history). Furthermore, where do most AAC’s stand?

From a historical-political perspective, everything that has happened in the past few weeks has been in response to the death of George Floyd. I won’t belabor the event itself; I recommend you read the news for yourself with the accompanying video, I think it speaks for itself. The police officer has been charged with murder and is awaiting trial. The GF’s death is really just the straw that broke the camel’s back. The protests that have occurred are not only in response to GF, but as a response to the cumulative anger within the black community over other incidents including the death of Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown, Philando Castile, Freddie Gray, and others. The most vocal noises have claimed that the American police force is inherently racist against blacks. This then is an example of social injustice in America, at least in regard to race. The argument can be broadened to include other areas of economics, education, healthcare, politics, etc. The overall premise vocalized is that America as a nation is fundamentally racist and her institutions are dominated by white supremacy. Therefore, we need to restructure the institutions of America so that it is less racist and unjust for people of color (blacks, but also Asians, Latinos, Jews, etc).

Critics of the protests have raised concerns about the riots, looting, and unreasonable demands for reform. For example, in Seattle, protesters have actually taken over 6 squares of downtown and declared themselves to be a separate nation called CHAZ (Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone). As well, Minneapolis has officially voted to dismantle their police department altogether, with other cities (including Tucson) having similar discussions. It is worth mentioning that not all protesters agree with the developments of CHAZ or dismantling the police. However, the voice calling for such measures seems to out-sound the more conservative voices. I think it is fair to say that most Americans, no matter what political persuasion, seem very worried about the political-cultural future of America.

Most ABC’s in my estimation seem very ill-informed on these issues. Albeit, it is a very complicated issue, I have noticed that the degree of political-cultural literacy is quite low on average. Most college students just seem to regurgitate what they hear from their professors and friends. Most social media posts are very liberal in their political persuasion. Dissenting voices are usually silenced, ignored, or canceled. And this pattern trickles down by age. The younger they are, the less they care and less informed they are.

I find that within the church, younger pastors tend to be pro-social justice, while older, first-generation immigrants tend to just not get involved at all. I myself do not subscribe to the ideology of social justice, and I find it inherently dangerous to both the church and society at large. However, most of my millennial peers do not share this sentiment. Among millennial Asian pastors, in my experience, most are pro-social justice. Lay AAC is thus mostly pro-SJ. However, this is mostly due to the fact that they trust their pastors and go along with what they say. They often have not spent too much time studying the issue for themselves. The downside to this is that, by implication, most 2nd generation AAC’s will tend to be pro-SJ. The upside to this is that, when they are presented with new information, their worldview can be more easily challenged and their minds swayed to the other persuasion. Church leaders are harder to change, for various reasons, both institutional and personal. I won’t go too much into details on this point, for fear of depreciating the authority of the pastoral office.

Interestingly enough, one issue I find quite odd is that even among conservative evangelical AAC’s, they cannot see the underlying ideologies that the SJ movement poses. Oftentimes these AAC’s are very personally devoted to the Lord. They oppose gay marriage and abortion. They are conservative in their daily lives. But then when it comes to the particular issue of race, they subscribe to abstract principles that are very inconsistent with their Christian beliefs – principles, which, if taken to their logical extremes and implemented in real life, would lead to outcomes that would hardly find acceptance anywhere. I do not say this to blame anyone – after all, discerning God’s will take time and practice (Rom 12:2). I say this as an encouragement because I believe that most AAC’s are reasonable, and with enough teaching and information, will be able to form coherent worldviews that are consistent with biblical values through and through.

Race issue - 2

Whatis Social Justice?

“Social Justice” is a rather vague term being floated around these days. The most concise definition I’ve come across is this: equity in terms of the distribution of wealth, opportunity, privilege, and resources in a society. Regarding the issueof race, social justice pertains to the idea that America is fundamentally racisttoward people of color and we need to change the system to achieve more equitableresults for people of color. There are two areas of debate pertaining to this discussion. First, is it actually true that America is fundamentally racist and in need of change? Second, even if the premise is true, should the church participate in this effort? And if so, how?

Regarding both questions, I answer no.

❏ Is America fundamentally racist?

There is a political narrative being pushed today that America is fundamentally racist. Before we address this issue, it is important to first define what we mean by “racist.” Traditionally, to be racist means to look down on someone and treat them as inferior on account of their skin color. In other words, it is favoritism or partiality based on skin color. Racism can be manifested economically or politically through discriminatory practices based on one’s skin color. So, for example, ifa colored man wanted to eat at a restaurant, he would not be allowed to eat thereon account of his skin color, even if he were a willing customer able to pay forthe food. Or, for example, during the Jim Crow era of the South, there were oneset of laws for whites, and another set of laws for blacks. There are two differentstandards for people, based on their skin color. This is no longer true in Americasince the Civil Rights Act of 1964, when discrimination on race has been made illegal.

However, starting in the 1960-70s, and more and more prevalent today, thedefinition of racism has changed. Proponents of social justice today employ theterm “racism” differently. Today, it pertains primarily to inequality of outcomeand inequality of power. That is, if a colored man does not achieve the same levelof status, or wealth, or privilege as a white man while participating in an institution,then the institution is “racist.” And those who disproportionately benefit fromthe institution are “racist” by association.

Biblically speaking, there are various texts that condemn racism in thetraditional sense of the word (Acts 10:34-35, James 2:8-9). That is, we are notallowed to treat different people by different standards. However, the second senseof the term racism is unbiblical. The bible nowhere demands that society be structuredwith equality of outcome (i.e. privilege and power) between different tribal groups.

To take an example, Israel was composed of 12 tribes, but not all twelvehave equal power or privilege. In Genesis 49, Jacob gives different blessings toeach son. Some had more blessings than others, even though it is not obvious whysome should have more while others less. Then later during the period of the conquestof Canaan, each tribe were to be allotted according to their size (Num. 33:54). However, this was not actually the case, as the tribes of Dan, Issachar, and Zebulunreceived disproportionately smaller shares of the land, even though they were threeof the most populous tribes (Josh. 19:10-23, 40-46). One may say that this is unfair. However, none of the judges, kings, prophets, not even God himself, ever condemnsthis uneven distribution of privileges. However, the Mosaic Law always applied toevery tribe, and every individual within that tribe. God is concerned about impartiality(Lev. 19:15, Ex. 23:2-3). But he does not demand that every people group have equalityof outcome. The secular mantra that “inequality of outcome is unjust” does not standbiblical scrutiny. As Christians, we cannot tolerate an unbiblical redefinitionof justice. To do so is to call evil good and good evil (Isa. 5:20).

Furthermore, even from a common sensical perspective, there is a fundamentalflaw in this type of thinking. This framework doesn’t account for human agency andpersonal responsibility. Equal outcome can only be expected if every person, orgroups of people, were exactly the same in terms of talent, intelligence, values,culture, and work ethic. Real life experience tells us that any such expectationsare absurdly unrealistic. For example, Asians are extremely underrepresented inAmerican pro-sports. Is America systemically racist against Asians? While I willnot deny that there are individual instances of racial discrimination (i.e. JeremyLin), it is very disingenuous to say that racism rather than culture accounts forthe Asian underrepresentation in pro sports. The fact is Asian people just do notvalue sports as much as other racial groups. There is an inequality in outcome,true. But let’s not kid ourselves and blame it on the system or white people whenthe reality is that most Asian families and students care more about grades andviolin than playing professional basketball.

This same principle can be applied to other issues. For example, blacksand brown people are under-represented in colleges. That is true. But what do wedo with the well-documented fact that there is an anti-intellectual culture withinmany black communities? Or regarding the example of the prison system, young blackmales are disproportionately represented in prisons compared to whites. This istrue. But what do we do with the fact that young black males commit a disproportionateamount of violent crimes (over half of violent crimes are committed by black males,which is eight times the rate of white males)? Is it possible that these culturaldifferences between racial groups account for the disparities in educational attainmentand incarceration rates? One would have to purposely ignore a large swath of datato push for the narrative that every major institution in America is purposely discriminatingagainst people solely based on their skin color.

❏ The Case Against Social Justice

Even if it can be granted that America is an imperfect society (which canbe said of every society), to what extent should the church get involved in political-socialactivism? It would be helpful to remember that the mission of the church is to goand make disciples of all the nations (Matt. 28:19). Our job as a church is to savepeople’s soul from hell. The only way that can happen is for individuals to recognizetheir individual sins, repent and believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. And in order for that to happen, the church needs to preach the gospel (Rom.10:14).

Now many people cite Jesus’ example of helping the poor and healing thesick as a model to engage in “holistic missions” (i.e. we preach the gospel andmake the world into a better place). However, a few qualifications are needed.

First, there is a difference between helping the poor and ending poverty. The former entails helping the poor out of a regenerated heart. That is, it is anatural act flowing from a compassionate heart. The latter is a mission, a goal,a program. Jesus certainly helped the poor, but he was not interested in endingpoverty. He healed lepers, but he did not seek to end leprosy. Jesus calls us tohave compassion, and compassion will naturally flow toward our neighbors when thesituation presents itself. But Jesus also affirmed that there will always be poverty,pain, suffering on this side of heaven (Matt. 26:11, Rom. 8:18-21). To expect thechurch to actually succeed in ridding injustice and suffering in the world, evenif we tried, is quite naïve.

Second, whatever physical healings Jesus performed served to authenticatehis preaching (Mk. 1:38, Jn. 20:30-31, Acts 2:22). The miracles and healings werenot primarily meant to make people’s lives better physically. Jesus worked thesemiracles to credit the gospel message he preached so that people can put their faithin him as the messiah. In cases where his miracles did not produce faith in himself,Jesus withheld his providence and miracles (cf. Matt. 13:58, Jn. 6:26-66). The callfor social justice today often times is an end in itself, as if somehow making theworld a better place has intrinsic value apart from regenerating the hearts of individualmen and women.

Third, whatever good we can bring to this world will ultimately be burnedup in the end when Jesus returns and makes the New Heaven and New Earth (2 Pet.3:10, Rev. 21:5). Let’s say you were on the Titanic as it was sinking into the ocean. Everyone on the ship is going down with it. But then another cruise ship comes alongto save the passengers. It would be extremely foolish to expend your energy tryingto salvage the Titanic from its inevitable demise. The proper response would beto spend all your energy getting onto the other ship and helping others to do thesame. When it comes to salvation, the analogy is the same. This world is destinedfor destruction. God is creating a new world, a new kingdom – one without sin, pain,suffering, and death. He’s calling us to believe in Jesus so we can have a placein his kingdom. But if we instead focus our efforts on salvaging this current kingdom,we’ll go down with it. Our job is not to patch up the current kingdom, but to getourselves and as many people as possible to God’s kingdom.

The goal of the church is to make disciples. If we can make the world intoa better place along the way, then great. But if not, then we are not to worry aboutit. When Jesus comes back, he will make all things new. Our job is to participatein the work of the Holy Spirit now and get people into God’s kingdom. Ten thousandyears from now, the church will not look back on this life and regret the temporalphysical sufferings we could have alleviated in this brief generation. However,we will regret the souls who suffer eternally in hell. In that place the worms neverdie and the fire never quenches. The damned are forever shut from the presence ofGod, without rest, without light, without hope. If you truly want to do the workof God, pray and work for the salvation of those yet to know Christ. Let him takecare of the rest.

--請關注北美動態--
    迅速報導北美焦點新聞
    分析北美社會道德走向
    提供基督信仰角度的新聞評述
    適合所有關心北美社會問題的朋友閱讀

敬請閱讀最新文章:
深度文章:保守派,你到底在保守什麼?(含音頻)
深度文章:從“五月花號公約”開始創建的美國(含音頻)

深度文章:十字路口上的美國(含音頻)

新種族主義像癌症一樣在美國社會蔓延(含音頻)

種族隔閡!誰能拆毀中間隔斷的牆?

美國到底有沒有“系統性的種族歧視”?