I’m not sure about anywhere else, but in Australia Chrysanthemums are Mother’s day Flower (Mother’s day in Australia in the 2nd Sunday of May). My husband and son always give me potted Chrysanthemum flowers for Mother’s Day. I prefer the living chrysanthemums. This way I can stick them somewhere in the garden when they have finished flowering. I have a patch chrysanthemums plants that always flower every year.

Traditionally, white chrysanthemums are used for Mother’s Day presents. But for me I love the colourful ones. I’m not sure why they use chrysanthemums as Mother’s Day flowers, but I think because Mother’s Day is in May and during this month Chrysanthemums are in season, they are abundant and cheap. Maybe it is also because Chrysanthemums are long last thing flowers both in the garden and in flower arrangements.

Plant Details:

The botanic name is Dendranthema x grandiflora. There are about 40 species of chrysanthemums, mostly are from China, Japan and East Asia. Some are single petals, some double and the rare ones are so exotic and large they resemble a pompom, and some are spider shaped. To day many hybrids have been produced with magnificent brilliant shades of red, pink, salmon, yellow, orange, bronze and green. The sheer beauty and versatility of these flowers are the reason why the Chinese people have been growing them for 2,500 year. Chrysanthemums are also known as the national flower of Japan.

Planting guide:

The easiest and cheap way is to buy Chrysanthemums in pot and make sure when you buy them they have roots. You can check underneath the pot to see of there are some roots poking out through the drainage holes.

When the potted chrysanthemum has finish flowering, pick a sunny spot in the garden with reasonably rich and well drain soil. The best is you add compost into the soil. Take the plant out of the pot and plunge it into a hole that is slightly larger than the size of the pot. Cover it with soil and add more compost on the top. It will die down, but if alive, it will promise you more flowers each year when they are in season. They are hardy, even during the draught. What they need when they started to grow is a little bit of complete fertilizer. If you prefer short compact bush, then pinch the top when they start to grow leaves in December (in Australia). After few years, you can dig up the plants and divide them. They are very easy to grow and practically disease free.

chrysantemum-collection

Usage:

• Flower arrangement: long lasting and provide many different sizes, shapes and colour. Today, the flowers are available all year around as they are hybridized and cultivated in green houses. Naturally they flower in late summer through autumn.
  • Chrysanthemum tea. It is made from the species called Chrysanthemum morifolium or indicum. It is a popular beverage in East Asia. The tea is available in dry form or in powder. The dried flowers are brewed in a teapot or in a cup with a bit of rock sugar, normal sugar or honey. The hot water is perfect around 90 degrees C or slightly cooled after boiling. It is believed that Chrysanthemum tea has a cooling effect in a hot day.
  • Medicinal purposes: It helps to relieve symptoms of influenza. Also used for sore throat and to reduce fever. Some believe the tea is good for alertness to keep you from falling asleep. In western herbal medicine it is used to treat circulatory disorders like varicose veins and atherosclerosis. The tea is also good to keep healthy eyes with sharp vision and treat dry eyes. 
  • Natural Insect Repellent: White Chrysanthemum Tanacetum cinerarriaefolium flowers produce a natural insecticide called pyrethrum. It provides safe fast acting insecticide to kill most insect pests. Non toxic to human and warm blooded animals and easy to break down in sunlight to prevent build up in environment.

Note: It has been very dry here in Melbourne this summer, so I’m not really confident that the chrysanthemums in my garden will have good flowers this year, and currently we are under 3A water restrictions here. There was a good rain last night after almost 3 months without any rain. Hopefully there will be much more rains so that they will bear reaonably good flowers this year.

blog.simonewalsh.com
Chrysanthemums for Mothers' Day!
240 × 240 - 14k - jpg

blog.simonewalsh.com
240 × 240 - 10k - jpg

theflowerdeliverycompa...
Mother's Day Chrysanthemum · larger imageMove mouse over the image to ...
550 × 671 - 426k - jpg

kiyanti2008.wordpress.com
Yellow Chrysanthemums. Mother's Day in Australia is celebrated every second ...
898 × 708 - 89k - jpg

scooterjulz.wordpress.com
Happy Mother's Day…to my funny, steadfast, loving Chicago Mother.
1920 × 1200 - 571k - jpg

all-my-favourite-flowe...
They are used as Mothers Day Flowers in Australia because they are just ...
512 × 505 - 75k - jpg

nightcruiser.com.au
MOTHERS DAY WITH NIGHTCRUISER SUNDAY 11TH MAY 2008
183 × 250 - 13k - jpg

hilltopgardencentreess...
at our exclusive Mother's Day lunch on Sunday 30th March.
362 × 313 - 165k - png

123rf.com
sentence happy mothers day and some pink chrysanthemums with dew droplets ...
450 × 299 - 103k - jpg

zazzle.com
Beautiful Yellow Chrysanthemum Flower Mothers Day Card
512 × 512 - 26k - jpg

mothers-day.org
Mothers Day Flowers Chrysanthemum 150x150 Mothers Day Flowers
259 × 194 - 21k - jpg

redbubble.com
Mother's day card with a single Chrysanthemum flower by Greeting Card Design ...
375 × 258 - 20k - jpg

blog.simonewalsh.com
240 × 240 - 9k - jpg

disneybaby.com
Chrysanthemum: "I Love". If you love your mom, add these showy blossoms to ...
450 × 400 - 262k - png

tesselaarflowers.com.au
Check out some more Mother's Day flower pics. chrysanthemum-beautiful
500 × 755 - 245k - jpg

rgbstock.com
... photo of a chrysanthemum, the flower that symbolises Mother's Day.
600 × 389 - 25k - jpg

florist.com.au
Mothers Day just wouldn't be the same without Chrysanthemums.
248 × 248 - 38k - jpg

allabouthappylife.com
Mother day Chrysanthemum - Free flower e-Card. Chrysanthemum
180 × 120 - 7k - jpg

zazzle.com
Yellow Chrysanthemum Happy Mother's Day Card
152 × 152 - 8k - jpg

etsy.com
Chrysanthemum Scarf, Gray Scarf, Mother's Day Gift
570 × 570 - 38k - jpg

kiyanti2008.wordpress.com
Chrysanthemum, The Mother's Day Flower
500 × 346 - 54k - jpg

flowersofparadise.com.au
Chrysanthemums are in season during May and Mother's day and also considered ...
300 × 222 - 31k - jpg

http://www.flowersofparadise.com.au/news/mothers-day/mum%E2%80%99s-the-word-flowers-for-mum-this-mother%E2%80%99s-day

Mum’s the Word: Flowers for Mum this Mother’s Day

She’s been there through it all, through graduations, birthdays, and other milestones in your life. So to show your gratitude why not surprise and delight her with a premium and luxurious Mother’s Day bouquet, specially arranged by Flowers of Paradise.  Servicing Robina and Nerang, we have a great range of traditional Mother’s Day flowers in store and can deliver across the entire Gold Coast. With so many flowers to choose from, here are some traditional varieties that typically mark this special occasion. 

Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemums are in season during May and Mother’s day and also considered Mum’s favourite flower (hence the ‘mum’ at the end of the name,) Chrysanthemums are a bright, happy and long lasting variety that come in a range of vibrant colours. In China chrysanthemum tea has been widely enjoyed for centuries with a range of medicinal and health benefits.

Gerberas

Gerberas

Also known as the African Daisy, and native to the continent, Gerberas are a species of flower from the sunflower family. They have a long vase life when cut with the most common flowers being pink, white, yellow and orange and are not overly light sensitive when kept indoors. This means Mum will be able to keep this variety anywhere indoors and  continue to enjoy the flowers long after Mother’s Day is over.

Irises

Irises

Available in a variety of colours, but typically associated for their signature shade of brilliant purple, Irises are also make ideal cut flowers, whether on their own, or as part of an arrangement. Fun Fact: The Bearded Iris species in one of the botanicals used to derive the flavour in Bombay Sapphire Gin. (one of Mum’s favourite drinks!) Next time you pour a G&T, take a minute to thank the trusty Iris.

Whether it’s these three varieties, or other popular favourites like roses, lilies or tulips, Mother’s Day is not a day to forget flowers or to show your appreciation to your Mum. Call Flowers of Paradise, the Gold Coast’s premier florist on (07) 5530 7833, or send us an online enquiry by clicking here.

This entry was posted in Mother's Day. Bookmark the permalink.