簡體 繁體 手機版
分類廣告
版主:丁丁家長
萬維讀者網 > 海 二 代 > 帖子
孩子與家庭作業
送交者: 金貝爾 2004年09月17日15:56:02 於 [海 二 代] 發送悄悄話

孩子與家庭作業

作者:金貝爾(Lori Kimble) 翻譯 禾子

只要我在黑板上寫下這樣開始的句子:「今天的作業是.. 」,就一定會招來嘟囔的抱怨聲。我一點不意外學生們對待家庭作業的反應。事實上,我很同情他們,畢竟,他們已經窩在教室 努力不懈地作算數、學習單詞一天了,再讓他們把課後的時間用來做作業真的好像太殘忍了。

令我訝異的倒是有許多家長現在也加入了抱怨的行列。我常聽到家長告訴我:學生的家庭作業太多了,或者他們像是在做老師的工作啦,等等。不幸的是,這樣的反應會妨礙家長表示他們對教育孩子的關心。

身為教師,我發現,若是家長參與學生做家庭作業,他們的孩子會明顯做得比在學校 好。也許參與孩子做作業就是你積極參與教育孩子的最好方式。家長怎麼能放任孩子的學習旅程,妨害他們的心智成長呢?

明白家庭作業的目的是必要的

簡單地說,家庭作業就是學生在學校功課的延伸。這意味著要通過課外的練習和應用已有知識增進孩子們對學過的知識的理解。同時,它也可以教導孩子實際生活中寶貴的一課:紀律與責任。

監督孩子做作業,就像從視窗看到孩子每日的學習狀況。請謹記,家庭作業只是複習已學過的知識,而不是用來灌輸新知識的。如果你覺得出現了講新概念的狀況,那麼與孩子的老師溝通是很重要的。

定時定點做家庭作業可以提高孩子的責任感和做事有條理的技巧。要讓他們有一個安靜的環境,並將做作業需要的東西都準備好。家長要處在隨時可以回答孩子問題的狀態,並留心使孩子保持在做作業上,千萬不要提供沒有被要求的幫助。不時地檢查孩子做作業的情況,讓他知道你在乎他在做甚麼,但不要一直待在他們的旁邊。

部分家庭作業會教導孩子學習獨立。給予引導孩子解決問題的幫助就足夠了,切忌提供答案,就是為了讓孩子快一些完成作業,也不可以告訴他們答案。如果有要好的同學在學校給你孩子問題的答案,你要告訴孩子這是作弊。替孩子做作業不但得不到所有教育上的益處,反而使孩子覺得不誠實挺好。

幫助孩子記錄他們的作業內容並每天檢查他們是否完成。如果老師不發作業表回家,就買一個筆記本或月曆教他們記下作業內容及收繳時間。假如超過三天都不見有作業,就打電話問老師以確定孩子沒有缺交任何作業。與孩子的老師保持經常性的聯絡就不會有誤會或放任的情形出現了。

如果所有的建議都試過了,孩子還是不能完成作業怎麼辦?

不要為他們找藉口。讓你的孩子承受沒完成作業的後果,有助於他們學會有責任感。假如你打電話給老師,為你的孩子沒完成作業找藉口,等於在給孩子暗示:他們無論做了或沒做,爸爸媽媽都會擔保他們沒事。我曾經遇到一位這樣五年級學生的家長,她要我別懲罰她那常常忘記帶數學書的兒子。理由是:她沒有把書放到兒子的書包 。我好奇有一天她是不是會急於為兒子在上司面前找藉口,因為他沒去上班或沒有按時交自己的帳單?

不必為家庭作業為難。當採用比較正確的態度和方法時,家庭作業是家長們向孩子們顯示學習重要性的好幫手。即便以後孩子們離開了學校,他們從做作業中學到的東西仍會一直伴隨著他們一生的歲月。

~作者金貝爾是位有三十一年教學經驗的老師,他的丈夫在軍中服務,他在美國加州出生目前住在加拿大。

Handling Homeworkby Lori Kimble

Whenever I start a sentence with the words, "Tonight's homework is", I know it will be met with moaning and groaning. I am never surprised by my students' attitude toward extra assignment. In fact, I can even sympathize with them. After all, they have been cooped up in my classroom all day doggedly working sums and sounding out new words. It seems almost cruel to ask them to fill up their after school hours with more paperwork.

More surprising to me than my students' outcry is the number of parents that join in with their complaints. All too often I hear parents telling me that homework is too much work for them, or they feel like they are being asked to do the teacher's job. Unfortunately, this mindset hinders the opportunity parents have to show their children that they care about their education.

As a teacher, I have found that when parents become involved in their children's schoolwork, their children do significantly better in school. Perhaps the best way you can actively involve yourself in your child's education is through homework. So how can a parent optimize their children's learning experience with out jeopardizing their own sanity?

Understanding the purpose of homework is essential.

Homework is simply an extension of the work students are doing in class. It is meant to reinforce what they have learned by giving them an opportunity to practice and apply newly acquired knowledge outside of the classroom. As a bonus it also teaches children valuable life lessons about discipline and responsibility.

By overseeing your children's homework, you have a direct window to see what your child is learning everyday. Remember, homework is meant to review material already learned and should never be used to introduce new concepts. If you feel that this is happening, it is important to talk to your child's teacher.

A set time and place to do homework develops responsibility and organizational skills in your child. Make sure that they have a quiet environment to work in and all the materials they need are provided. Make yourself readily available to answer questions or keep your child on task, but don't offer help that isn't asked for. Periodically check on your child to let them know you care about what they are doing, but don't hang over them while they work.

Part of the lesson homework strives to teach is independence. When you do offer help, make sure that you facilitate your child arriving at the solution. Never supply answers to your child even in the guise of helping them finish faster. If a fellow student were to give your child the answer to a problem in class, you would call it cheating. Doing your child's work for them not only voids out all the educational benefits, it does little to teach them the value of integrity.

Help your child keep track of their assignments and check to see that their homework is completed each day. If the teacher doesn't send a homework sheet home, buy your child a notebook or calendar and teach them to write down assignments and due dates. If more than three days pass without homework being assigned, call the teacher just to make sure your child isn't missing any assignments. Clear and constant communication with your child's teacher keeps misunderstandings at bay and optimizes your child's learning experience.

What if you have done everything suggested and your child still doesn't finish their homework?

Don't make excuses for them. Letting your child accept the consequences of their missing assignment can go a long way in teaching them to be responsible. If you call the teacher and make an excuse for the unfinished assignment you have just sent a message to your child that no matter what they do or don't do, Mom or Dad will bail them out. I once had the parent of a fifth grader ask me not to penalize her son because he consistently failed to bring his math book to class. She felt I shouldn't mark him down because it was her fault for not putting the book in his backpack. I wonder if she will be as eager to make excuses to his boss someday if he doesn't show up for work or take responsibility for his bills should he fail to pay them?

Homework doesn't have to be a struggle. When approached with the right attitude and tools, it can be a great way for parents to show their children that learning is important. That is a lesson they will carry with them well into the years after they have put their schoolbooks away.

~ Lori Kimble is a 31-year-old teacher and proud military wife. She is a California native, currently living in Alabama.

0%(0)
0%(0)
標 題 (必選項):
內 容 (選填項):
實用資訊
回國機票$360起 | 商務艙省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出爐:海航獲五星
海外華人福利!在線看陳建斌《三叉戟》熱血歸回 豪情築夢 高清免費看 無地區限制
一周點擊熱帖 更多>>
一周回復熱帖