设万维读者为首页 广告服务 技术服务 联系我们 关于万维
简体 繁体 手机版
分类广告
版主:诤友
万维读者网 > 教育学术 > 帖子
comments from a language lover
送交者: Serius 2006年01月22日15:12:10 于 [教育学术] 发送悄悄话

The word "eggplant" actually makes sense if you have seen one variety of eggplants (if you can find pickled eggplants imported from Israel, for example) which do resemble eggs in their shape and size.

Shameful is still different from shameless, though both can mean bringing shame or "disgraceful". If I did something bad and then felt shame for doing that, I was "shameful" (full of shame, though this use is now a bit archaic). I would be shameless if I kicked the crutch from an old lady who was going to a cab she just hailed, took the cab myself, and did not say or feel sorry about what I did to the old lady. The same action could also be said to be shameless or shameful. Besides their apparent difference in degree when meaning disgraceful, shameful does not refer to the state of mind where one does not feel shame about his or her shameful deeds and when shameful does refer to a state of mind, it means the opposite of shameless.

Though inflammable can be synonymous with flammable in the sense of catching fire easily, inflammable can also mean easy to get angered (i.e., irascible), which meaning flammable does not have.

And native speakers apparently do say "a cup of hot coffee" though "a hot cup of coffee" appears to have higher frequency in use.

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖
2005: 力拼中国 印度精心炮制“印度硅谷”
2004: 美国法学院新趋向