設萬維讀者為首頁 廣告服務 技術服務 聯繫我們 關於萬維
簡體 繁體 手機版
分類廣告
版主:納川
萬維讀者網 > 天下論壇 > 帖子
Trumpsters stormed DC. Why?
送交者: 江靈颺 2021年01月07日18:07:40 於 [天下論壇] 發送悄悄話

On January 6, 2021, a gunshot on Capitol Hill was heard around the world. Washington, D.C., was thrown into chaos. This is from the Bloomberg Businessweek:

Followers of President Trump had stormed the Capitol that afternoon to stop the certification of the Electoral College ballots that elected Joe Biden. As lawmakers went into hiding, the mob roamed the marble halls, occupied the Senate chamber, and trashed offices. 

It is Bloomberg Businessweek’s opinion that American democracy was dumped in the trash can.

The election issue was the immediate cause of the January 6 Capitol chaos, which was rooted in the widespread bitterness among working people who only get crumbs while the elites enjoy themselves in fancy restaurants, never mind that the lockdowns are hurting practically everyone else. 

Trump’s presidency tapped into the alienation of the forgotten Joes and Janes. When Joes and Janes feel cheated, they have little to lose by following Trump, come hell or high water. Who are their targets? The lawmakers who conned not only jobs but also elections out of them. We don’t have to agree with these Joes and Janes, but we have to understand them. More than sympathy, folks who feel cheated look for justice. Globalization gives them no justice and certainly no justification of the ever-widening income gap.

I personally doubt that the incoming Biden administration can or even will address the plight of Main Street Americans aside from dangling empty promises around. I hope I am wrong, though.

For the right reason, a second Tea Party movement is brewing and will haunt Joe Biden, just as the first one that haunted Barack Obama in 2009.

American democracy is alive and kicking, and will always be. Its demise is exaggerated, to paraphrase Mark Twain.

--- Lingyang Jiang

735F1C7E-8C74-46B0-A714-D70A58514745.jpeg

0%(0)
0%(0)
標 題 (必選項):
內 容 (選填項):
實用資訊
回國機票$360起 | 商務艙省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出爐:海航獲五星
海外華人福利!在線看陳建斌《三叉戟》熱血歸回 豪情築夢 高清免費看 無地區限制
一周點擊熱帖 更多>>
一周回復熱帖
歷史上的今天:回復熱帖