了下来。“好吧好吧,你来我这喝杯热茶,适应一下。还有,看在老天的份上,找
些衣服穿上吧,求你了。”

“茶?”他听了精神一振,“灰伯爵加牛奶和蜜糖?”

“我想我有half-and-half罢。”

后来呢,他了解到他的救命恩人是个书呆气重的电脑工程师(并且不怕碰滑溜溜的两
栖动物,你从上面的故事也了解到了)。王子也发现他倒也不介意短鼻子。起码,为
将来着想的话,生一大堆短鼻子的书呆小孩总比生一大堆又笨又刁的小崽子要好。

于是,“每个人都从此幸福地生活在一起”。至少大家都在朝这个方向尽量努力吧。

Note: the following English version might not correspond to the foregoing Chinese version verbatim. In the process of writing bilingually, I’ve become fully aware of and will always lament on the fact that the beauty of one language is sometimes lost when translated into another. As someone once said, "Translations are like women. The beautiful ones are unfaithful; the faithful ones, unbeautiful." Not that I would support such misogyny, but the quote is dead on about translation.

The Frog Prince---My Version of It

Once upon a time there was a frog. Naturally, he was really an enchanted prince, because fairy tales don't care about your average amphibian. Anyway, this little frog-shaped piece of royalty was under your standard enchantment, to be broken by a kiss from your standard princess, meaning she must be blonde with blue eyes and couldn't be short-haired or enjoy Russian literature or any nonsense like that.

As it so happened, one day while Prince Flyeater was sitting on his lily pad, trying to remember what it felt like to be higher up on the food-chain, one such character did conveniently arrive. She was a proper princess, with golden hair and bright blue eyes and a genteel air of inbred stupidity.

"Joy!" croaked Prince Webfoot, "I can finally be free of this wretched form, and go back to trampling the proletariat and being rude to mysterious old women." As you might remember, that was how our prince was turned into a frog in the first place.

As the story has it, the princess started tossing her precious golden ball by the pond, but quickly got tired of it. The damn thing was too heavy –the Royal Toymaker had a large budget but a small imagination. Unfortunately for our poor prince, the princess got a call on her Nokia, so she walked away from the pond, never noticing the small green critter gibbering on a nearby lily pad.

He hopped frantically after her, but to no avail. She was moving a lot faster on those platform heels than he'd thought, and had a lead that he couldn't quite close until she'd reached the palace gates. (All sensible enchanted frogs live within hopping distance of the nearest palace, for the same reason that star hopefuls live in southern California.) The gates were too high for him to jump and too tight for him to squeeze through. All night he crouched by the gates, miserable and dejected. By morning his skin was getting dry, even with the morning dew, he was starting to sneeze, and the thought of a juicy fat fly was disturbingly appealing. But he refused to give up hope, and remained stoically where he was.

By the end of the second day the little blonde twit still hadn't shown up, and he was still alive only because he couldn't decide whether to die of hunger, thirst, or exposure. His royal tutor had taught him in Biology which of the foregoing three came first, but he'd never paid attention to the royal tutor—a fact he later regretted. He tried to remember facts about frogs and all that came to mind was the smell of formaldehyde.

Just when he was about to give up and expire gracefully in the name of plot advancement, a hand picked him up.

"Hey. What's a frog doing all the way out here?"

It wasn't the blonde princess, he thought muzzily. The maiden in front of him looked to be in her early twenties; had a full head of shiny black hair, honey-tan skin, and a slightly short nose; and as a matter of fact wasn't exactly ugly. (However, she didn't enjoy Russian literature--she found it depressing and really, who doesn't?) It was a little embarrassing, but all humans looked more or less alike to him. Princesses, of course, tended to be a lot blonder. And louder.

"Take me inside the palace and tell the princess to kiss me, for I am a royal prince entrapped by a wicked enchantment, and her kiss will break the spell," he croaked. Or at least, he tried. What really came out was just a weak tongue flick.

"Oh no, you're all dried up. I'd better get you to a stream." The hands carried him somewhere while he raged ineffectually, "Not AWAY from the palace, you stupid fool!"

Finally he caught the sound of running water, but instead of being thrown unceremoniously in, he felt himself being lifted to eye-level to be under the scrutiny of a pair of dark, bright, almond-shaped eyes. "I wonder," the face that went with the hands said thoughtfully. They say you have to kiss many frogs before you find your prince. Oh, what the heck, she’d give it a try.

Before he could do much more than blink his bulging eyes, he felt a pair of fresh lips brush against his snout. He heard the shackles of magic burst, depositing him on the grass as a very human prince (and very naked, he'd never thought about that part).

A lot of shrieking went on at that point. But before the commotion died down he managed to find a large palm leaf to cover himself up. He stood up and said, "But you don't LOOK like a princess", sizing her up.

His rescuer snorted. "Well, you're not exactly all that either. I thought all princes were supposed to be no older than twenty-five. And you shouldn't believe everything you read."

"What do you mean," he asked indignantly, "I'm twenty---SHOOT! Where the hell did this come from?" he yelped, looking down at his slightly protruding gut. There used to be a six-pack there.

"Nope," she said critically. "I'd say around late-twenties."

His jaw dropped, and he worked it soundlessly for a few moments. "But--but! I was only a frog for a few weeks! A month, tops! What happened?"

She shrugged. "Well, frogs don't live as long as humans. Maybe it's like, you know, dog years."

He wilted. "Great. So now, not only am I not gonna hook up with a princess, but I'm also getting old?"

The non-princess wrinkled her slightly short nose. "Well, if it's any consolation, I've heard she's a real ???? and a notorious slut."

"She could've managed a kiss, then," he grumbled.

"Oh quit whining, you're human again, aren't you?" she snapped at him, but softened when his face fell. "Geez. Fine. Fine. Come in and have a cup of tea while you re-orient. And for Christ’s sake, put some clothes on."

"Tea?" he perked up at this. "Earl Grey with milk and honey?"

"I think I've got some half-and-half."

As it turned out, his rescuer was a nerdy computer engineer who didn't particularly mind touching slimy amphibians. And eventually, the prince found out that he didn't really mind short noses either. After all, he figured he’d rather have nerdy short-nose kids than dumb brats.

And so, everybody lives happily after. Or at least they try.

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖