设万维读者为首页 广告服务 技术服务 联系我们 关于万维
简体 繁体 手机版
分类广告
版主:诤友
万维读者网 > 教育学术 > 帖子
如何学好高中英文
送交者: 丽贝卡爱米 2013年08月23日12:43:00 于 [教育学术] 发送悄悄话

My son will be attending Princeton University this year, and he wrote a book over the  summer that he believes addresses a very important issue in the Asian-American  community: many of our children perform well in Math and other quantitative fields of  study but struggle in English class. Here is an excerpt from the book:

"I am a male Asian-American kid who spent a decent amount of his high school years  procrastinating. My parents are both Peking University graduates who moved from  mainland China as students. In 2013, I was accepted to Princeton, Yale, Columbia,  UPenn, Cornell, Brown, Duke, Caltech, and many other good universities in one of the  most competitive college admissions years in history.

"I wasn’t a model child by any means. I played a ton of video games (I still do), and I  rarely accepted parental discipline without a fight; my parents always allowed me to  argue my way out of punishments and unreasonable restrictions. Though I didn’t realize  it then, my tendency to launch into sporadic debates led me to cultivate a knack for  analysis and logical reasoning.

"I have consistently received A and A+ grades in my English classes throughout my high  school career. Essay writing is an activity that I greatly enjoy, and a typical essay  only takes a day or two for me to write. However, I do not consider myself to be a  “humanities person.” I have a great passion in computer science and will be pursuing a  Computer Science B.S.E. major at Princeton University this year. My purpose in writing  this article is to reach out to students like me who consider themselves to be “science  people.” English is without a doubt one of my most favorite academic subjects, and I  believe that any self-described “math person” or “science person” can excel in English  once they learn the truly wonderful world that hides beneath this discipline.

"This is the story of how I learned to enjoy English, a story that contains the tricks,  tips, and secrets that I discovered as a high school humanities student."

My son's website for the book can be found here: www.proofsandmethods.com/. 

Here is the link for the book on Amazon.com (by the way, you do not need a Kindle to  view the book; you can read it on PC, Mac, iPhone, and Android as well):  http://www.amazon.com/Proofs-Methods-Excelled-English-ebook/dp/B00EPQWLS4/ref=sr_1_1? s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377224746&sr=1-1.

I hope that this book can contribute in eliminating the stereotype of Asian-Americans  as being only good at math and science. We can be good at the humanities as well!

Thank you very much.

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖
2012: 《自然》杂志向叶诗文道歉的背后