设万维读者为首页 广告服务 技术服务 联系我们 关于万维
简体 繁体 手机版
分类广告
版主:丁丁家长
万维读者网 > 海 二 代 > 帖子
generation degradation problem
送交者: wisper 2006年02月27日20:16:02 于 [海 二 代] 发送悄悄话

Well, you raised an interesting question. You may find examples to support the observation you made from your own perspective. I am not sure if one should go that far to make a generalization based on that.

A co-worker of mine, a very nice Polish fellow who came to America long time ago, once aksed how my kid is doing at school. And I told him how good my kid is in school. He smiled and replied, "A normal child." Looking at my puzzled facial expression, he added, "It seems that the children of the first generation immigrants always excel in their school work, and quite outstanding in their generation. When it comes to the next generation, they performance falls to the average level." He then commented that he think the first generation immigrants bring the best part of their original culture to this new land, which helps their kids to excel. He thinks that for the next generation, that advantage fades out because of the next generation has merged better into the local culture.

This is an observation from his experience and his perspective, which I would not try to convince people here to believe. I believe that 1st genertaion immigrants from many other nations also tried to keep their original culure and language. When it comes to the next generation, it beomes harder and harder to do that. As a result, ... kid become average.

This is not a problem of language per se. It is an issue of diversity. Only a true diversified environment can promote the growth of the best.

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
回国机票$360起 | 商务舱省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出炉:海航获五星
海外华人福利!在线看陈建斌《三叉戟》热血归回 豪情筑梦 高清免费看 无地区限制
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖
历史上的今天:回复热帖
2005: 一个犹太小女孩的上海故事
2005: 陈九: 奶奶的年糕