設萬維讀者為首頁 廣告服務 技術服務 聯繫我們 關於萬維
簡體 繁體 手機版
分類廣告
版主:諍友
萬維讀者網 > 教育學術 > 帖子
The fourth phase of water by Gerald Pollack
送交者: jingchen 2022年04月12日18:14:05 於 [教育學術] 發送悄悄話

The fourth phase of water by Gerald Pollack

Water is everywhere in our bodies. It is the largest chunk of our body weight. Is water a mere solvent, a passive witness of all exciting chemical activities? Definitely not, the author of the book says! Water is an active participants of all living activities. To understand life better, we must first understand the intricate properties of water better.

We are only at an early stage of understanding water. But the author provides a new pathway to our future understanding of water and life.

The sun is our great source of energy. The sun shines on the water. Water molecules vaporize into the sky, and then fall down as rain or snow. The fresh water run down the rivers. We build a dam to collect its energy and convert into electricity. That is great!

Is there a system less gigantic to collect the energy from the sun? There is! They are solar cells. A tiny solar cell can intercept the solar energy and convert it into electricity.

Solar cells require intense heat and intense technology to produce them. Is there anything more natural out there?

Nothing is more natural than nature. Plants utilize solar energy by photosynthesis, in plain view.

But molecules involved in photosynthesis are very complex. Is there anything simpler?

If you have questions like these, The Fourth Phase of Water is the place to turn to.

Each cell is a tiny battery. A big part of understanding life is to understand battery. This book describes how various water based systems form tiny, simple batteries that are charged by solar light or other electromagnetic waves, such as infrared lights.

I am always fascinated by the question of the origin of life. Of course the book doesn’t answer the question. But it makes the question less mysterious.

The following are some quotes from and comments on the book. This book is dedicated to Gilbert Ling. The following is the dedication page.

to Gilbert Ling

who taught me that water in the cell

is nothing like water in a glass;

whose courage has been a

continuing inspiration.

Gerald Polack’s book introduced Gilbert Ling’s ideas in a simpler language. In the acknowledgment part of the book, Pollack wrote,

Ling has been far ahead of his time. His pioneering work opened the eyes of many scientists to the realization that water is not merely a background carrier of the common molecules of life; it is a central player in all of life’s processes. Sadly, his many contributions have gone unrecognized, and his willingness to challenge science at its core has made him something of a pariah. From the time I first met Gilbert in the mid-1980s, he has continued to inspire me; if anyone is responsible for seeding the creation of this book, that person is Gilbert Ling.

The preface of the book is beautifully written. It is worth reading again and again.  I will copy it extensively in the following.

Thus, the approach I take is unconventional. It does not build on the “prevailing wisdom”; nor does it reflexively accept all current foundational principles as inherently valid. Instead, it returns to the root method of doing science — relying on common observation, simple logic, and the most elementary principles of chemistry and physics to build understanding. … This old-fashioned approach may come across as mildly irreverent because it pays little homage to the “gods” of science. On the other hand, I believe the approach may provide the best route toward an intuitive understanding of nature — an understanding that even laymen can appreciate.

I thought that incrementally adding bits of flesh was the way of science until a colleague turned on the flashing red lights. Tatsuo Iwazumi arrived at Penn when I was close to finishing my PhD. I had built a primitive computer simulation of cardiac contraction based on the Huxley model, and Iwazumi was to follow in my footsteps. “Impossible!” he asserted. Lacking the deferential demeanor characteristic of most Japanese I’d known, Iwazumi stated in no uncertain terms that my simulation was worthless: it rested on the accepted theory of muscle contraction, and that theoretical mechanism couldn’t possibly work. “The mechanism is intrinsically unstable,” he continued. “If muscle really worked that way, then it would fly apart during its very first contraction.”

Reluctantly, I had to admit that Iwazumi’s argument was persuasive — clear, logical, and simple. As far as I know, it stands unchallenged to this very day. Those who hear the argument for the first time quickly see the logic, and most are flabbergasted by its simplicity. For me, this marked a turning point. It taught me that sound logical arguments could trump even long-standing belief systems buttressed by armies of followers. Once disproved, a theory was done — finished. The belief system was gone forever. Clinging endlessly was tantamount to religious adherence, not science. The Iwazumi encounter also taught me that thinking independently was more than just a cliché; it was a necessary ingredient in the search for truth. In fact, this very ingredient led to my muscle-contraction dispute with Sir Andrew Huxley (which never did resolve).

Challenging convention is not a bed of roses, I assure you. You might think that members of the scientific establishment would warmly embrace fresh approaches that throw new light on old thinking, but mostly they do not. Fresh approaches challenge the prevailing wisdom. Scientists carrying the flag are apt to react defensively, for any such challenge threatens their standing. Consequently, the challenger’s path can be treacherous — replete with dangerous turns and littered with formidable obstacles.

Obstacles notwithstanding, I did somehow manage to survive during those early years. By delicately balancing irreverence with solid conventional science and even a measure of obeisance, I could press on largely unscathed. Our challenges were plainly evident, but we pioneered techniques impressive enough that my students could land good jobs worldwide, some rising to academia’s highest levels. Earning that badge of respectability saved me from the terminal fate common to most challengers.

During the middle of my career, my interests began expanding. I sniffed more broadly around the array of scientific domains, and as I did I began smelling rats all over. Contradictions abounded. Some of the challenges I saw others raise to their fields’ prevailing wisdom seemed just as profound as the ones raised in the muscle-contraction field.

One of those challenges centered on the field of water — the subject of this book. The challenger of highest prominence at the time was Gilbert Ling. Ling had invented the glass microelectrode, which revolutionized cellular electrophysiology. That contribution should have earned him a Nobel Prize, but Ling got into trouble because his results began telling him that water molecules inside the cell lined up in an orderly fashion. Such orderliness was anathema to most biological and physical scientists. Ling was not shy about broadcasting his conclusions, especially to those who might have thought otherwise.

So, for that and other loudly trumpeted heresies, Ling eventually fell from favor. Scientists holding more traditional views reviled him as a provocateur. I thought otherwise. I found his views on cell water to be just as sound as Iwazumi’s views on muscle contraction. Unresolved issues remained, but on the whole his proposal seemed evidence-based, logical, and potentially far-reaching in its scope. I recall inviting Ling to present a lecture at my university. A senior colleague admonished me to reconsider. In an ostensibly fatherly way, he warned that my sponsorship of so controversial a figure could irrevocably compromise my own reputation. I took the risk — but the implications of his warning lingered.

Ling’s case opened my eyes wider. I began to understand why challengers suffered the fates they did: always, the challenges provoked discomfort among the orthodox believers. That stirred trouble for the challengers. I also came to realize that challenges were common, more so than generally appreciated. Not only were the water and muscle fields under siege, but voices of dissent could also be heard in fields ranging from nerve transmission to cosmic gravitation. The more I looked, the more I found. I don’t mean flaky challenges coming from attention-seeking wackos; I’m referring to the meaningful challenges coming from thoughtful, professional scientists.

Serious challenges abound throughout science. You may be unaware of these challenges, just as I had been until fairly recently, because the challenges are often kept beneath the radar. The respective establishments see little gain in exposing the chinks in their armor, so the challenges are not broadcast. Even young scientists entering their various fields may not know that their particular field’s orthodoxy is under siege.

The challenges follow a predictable pattern. Troubled by a theory’s mounting complexity and its discord with observation, a scientist will stand up and announce a problem; often that announcement will come with a replacement theory. The establishment typically responds by ignoring the challenge. This dooms most challenges to rot in the basement of obscurity. Those few challenges that do gain a following are often dealt with aggressively: the establishment dismisses the challenger with scorn and disdain, often charging the poor soul with multiple counts of lunacy.

The consequence is predictable: science maintains the status quo. Not much happens. Cancer is not cured. The edifices of science continue to grow on weathered and sometimes even crumbling foundations, leading to cumbersome models and ever-fatter textbooks filled with myriad, sometimes inconsequential details. Some fields have grown so complex as to become practically incomprehensible. Often, we cannot relate. Many scientists maintain that that’s just the way modern science must be — complicated, remote, separated from human experience. To them, cause-and-effect simplicity is a quaint feature of the past, tossed out in favor of the complex statistical correlations of modernity.

In Chapter 5, the author made two mistakes, I think. I have to be more cautious about his ideas.

Chap 5

Those lightning strikes occur so frequently around the world that, according to atmospheric scientists, the earth’s surface cannot dissipate the accumulating negative charge, leaving it electrically negative.

Comment: This statement is wrong.

Later, we tracked the released protons with yet another method: a setup that continuously refreshed the near-EZ water (Fig. 5.4). We used a hollow Nafion tube. The tube’s inner surface nucleates a ring-like exclusion zone just inside, which drives protons into the core (a). We refreshed those core protons by continuously infusing fresh water through the tube (b). Since the annular EZ tends to cling to the tube material, much of the tube flow occurs in the core. We found that the exiting water had a lower pH value than the entering water; the pH difference exceeded one unit and never diminished — even after 30 minutes of continuous flow.2 While we still couldn’t resolve the quantitative issue, we did establish that the passing water continued to receive protons from the annular EZ without diminution, even over extended periods of time.

Comment: One cannot generate positive charges indefinitely. There must be something wrong somewhere.

Chap 10

You’d think we could grasp the essentials by being properly rigorous in dealing with heat and temperature. Rigor usually helps. However, as the last chapter showed, even proper rigor applied to a questionable foundation cannot necessarily produce a sound result. Brownian motion was long supposed to be driven by heat, yet rigorous treatment by renowned physicists never managed to produce a fully satisfying understanding.

0%(0)
0%(0)
標 題 (必選項):
內 容 (選填項):
實用資訊
回國機票$360起 | 商務艙省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出爐:海航獲五星
海外華人福利!在線看陳建斌《三叉戟》熱血歸回 豪情築夢 高清免費看 無地區限制
一周點擊熱帖 更多>>
一周回復熱帖
歷史上的今天:回復熱帖
2021: 老天爺憑什麼要保佑中華民族?
2021: 本質理性和本性理性的對質