分類廣告
版主:紅樹林
萬維讀者網 > 五 味 齋 > 帖子
Field Trip to Valley Forge(福吉谷實地見習)
送交者: 天邊的紅霞 2020年03月26日15:20:18 於 [五 味 齋] 發送悄悄話

2014-05-06

Valley Forget0001.JPG

【Aiden in English】

The American Revolution turned into a huge event on the historical timeline of the US in the 18th century. Valley Forge in PA became famous for that very reason because the first President, General of the Continental Army, the founder of the USA, etc... George Washington encamped here in a bitter, unrelenting winter of 1777.

Wow, most people think that those men were freezing to death in their huts. No, it wasn't actually true. Some of us also felt as if they lacked food supplies. No, although there was a shortage of meat, peas, and veggies, yet the soldiers were stuffed with bread. We learned all facts on our 5th grade field trip to Valley Forge National Historical Park this morning. Unfortunately, many infectious diseases had been spread and were killing the soldiers.

The valley used to have hundreds of log cabins for the army and in each one, there was enough room for a squad of 12 soldiers. Every corner, there lay three bunk beds and each about a foot on top of another. I wouldn't survive a night like that because I tend to move a lot in my sleep.

Immediately after we started to tour the site, the guide showed us how to load a musket. First, he poured a little gun powder in the can on the side and then dumped the rest down the barrel with the musket ball. He pulled the trigger and his target was dead. Pretty cool, huh? In addition to the lethal musket, the soldiers were able to equip it with a pointy bayonet or a sharp dagger that could be attached to the front of a musket. And let's put it this way. You do not want to be in stabbing range of the bayonet.

As a colonial army marched to war, it needed a formation. Single file was one of the worst formations. While the army was taking fire from the front, only one person could shot back. Ouch! So we lined up in four columns and I, Sir Guo, was promoted to a sergeant and I, Sergeant Guo was given an order from the General to make sure the columns stayed straight. And when everyone was good to go, we marched, and marched, and marched, and marched...... and after what seemed like a year of marching, we finally reached the top and saw piles of dirt. As the guide said there was a fort at the place where we were standing. I was like no, that's a mound of dirt. Why would soldiers hide behind a mound of dirt? Closer examination proved me wrong, since cannons were stationed around it, large ditches were dug along the perimeter and openings so that the soldiers could fire and provided plenty of cover. Now I get why the British were scared to attack Valley Forge.

After a fun picnic, we explored Washington's headquarter. The so called "master bedroom" looked like the size of my study room for homework. Except for the cramped conditions, the place appeared to be lavished with fancy decorations and made for comfort. To my great surprise, however, Washington rented the house from the local civilians. I finally knew what our four years of social studies were about. It showed us how difficult life was in Valley Forge back to 236 years ago.

【紅霞譯文】

獨立戰爭是十八世紀美國歷史上發生的重大事件,福吉谷之所以蜚聲賓州內外,是因為享有第一任總統﹑大陸軍總司令﹑美利堅奠基人等諸多頭銜的喬治?華盛頓曾於1777冬天率領部下不畏刺骨嚴寒,在這裡安營紮寨。

哇,大多數人以為不少革命先驅因為經不住氣候折磨而被凍死在木屋茅舍之中,實際上根本不是這麼一回事;還有人覺得由於食物匱乏,他們飢腸轆轆,以致屍橫遍野,不過事實並非如此,儘管當時肉類﹑豆子﹑蔬菜短缺,但是戰士們仍有麵包充飢。今早在通往福吉谷國家歷史公園實地考察的路上,我們五年級學生終於搞清楚其真正緣由,原來若干種傳染病肆虐,許多士兵未能倖免病魔的侵襲。

這一帶谷地曾經有過數以百計軍隊住過的木屋,每間木屋可容納一個班12位戰士,屋內各個角落擺置三張雙層床,每張床約有一英尺長,相互疊加一塊。我無法設想自己如何在這種床上過夜,因為本人一向睡覺不老實。

現場參觀開始,導遊立刻給我們演示如何加載步槍。首先,他先在身旁小罐里倒了一點火藥;然後又藉助專門用於裝火藥的小球捶棒,把其餘部分逐漸放入步槍火藥桶內,他扣動扳機,眼前目標應聲倒下。很酷吧?除了這種可以擊斃對手的步槍之外,士兵們還能在步槍前面裝上一把刺刀或者鋒利匕首,以此來提高殺傷力。這麼一來,你千萬要遠離刺刀觸及的範圍,不可靠得太近。

舊時每當軍隊開赴戰場,都需要形成一個方隊,單行縱隊可以說是最差的陣容之一,通常前排的士兵負責射擊,僅有一人能夠進行反擊。哎喲!我們步其後塵,依次也排成四列,我—─郭小弟搖身變成中士長官。這下子可好,郭中士接到將軍命令,必須確保隊形整齊。大家整裝待發,隨即一起齊步前進、前進、前進、前進經過大約一年之久漫長跋涉,我們終於到達谷峰,但看到的東西卻是大堆土包。導遊介紹說,這裡曾經有一座堡壘。是的,士兵幹嗎要躲在土堆里呢?仔細觀察證明我錯了,因為這裡布滿大炮,戰壕圍成一圈,這樣戰士們能夠一邊向敵人開火,一邊躲在裡面掩護自己。現在,我才明白為什麼英國佬害怕來犯福吉谷了。

快活野餐過後,我們考察華盛頓總部。眼前這個所謂的“主臥室”看上去如同我在家裡用做寫作業的書房大小一般。暫且撇開擁擠不說,內部裝飾富麗華美,令人感覺舒適安逸。然而完全出乎我意料之外,這是華盛頓從當地人租來的民居。我終於懂得,四年來學校開設“社會學”的目的,無非想告誡我們236年前福吉谷的艱難歲月。

0%(0)
0%(0)
標 題 (必選項):
內 容 (選填項):
實用資訊
回國機票$360起 | 商務艙省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出爐:海航獲五星
海外華人福利!在線看陳建斌《三叉戟》熱血歸回 豪情築夢 高清免費看 無地區限制
一周點擊熱帖 更多>>
一周回復熱帖
歷史上的今天:回復熱帖
2019: 老穿宣布戈藍高地屬於以色列,老尤的代
2019: 為什麼說新任司法部長是川普的人?