分類廣告
版主:紅樹林
萬維讀者網 > 五 味 齋 > 帖子
How to Use College Education(如何利用大學教育)
送交者: 兒歌薈萃 2021年05月06日13:54:30 於 [五 味 齋] 發送悄悄話

2021-04-29

【Aiden in English】

〖How you hope to use your college education.〗

A Harvard education would best prepare me to further my life’s mission: helping those around me.

Our public education system prioritizes “core” subjects while sacrificing survival courses such as personal finance. To promote financial literacy among high school students, I launched the virtual Southeastern Pennsylvania Investment Conference (SEPAIC). My team and I invited speakers from the business, finance, management, and accounting fields to provide insight into their careers and experiences. Using Zoom, we opened sessions to my high school and surrounding school districts. Speakers usually gave a twenty-minute presentation, followed by a questions period during which the guest and students could interact.

Watching the curiosity of my peers pour into the tiny chat box showed me that students only needed the opportunity to increase their financial literacy. In an audience exit poll, we asked a few questions, including whether they were interested in business as a future career path. With a quarter of submissions returned answering “no,” I realized that the conferences were also reaching a broader audience than just dedicated business majors. While it wasn’t much, that extra twenty-five percent of ears meant that those thirty students would approach their futures with more financial responsibility, fulfilling the mission of SEPAIC.

Through SEPAIC, I discovered the importance of offering opportunities for those who need them; however, to take my next step, I want to journey to Harvard University. Dedicated to educating citizen-leaders, Harvard University provides tools and services imperative to achieving my goal of helping others. In particular, I would love to study under Professor Christopher Foote. His work regarding public economic practice is fascinating and impactful, especially his publication regarding the polarization effects of the labor market on middle-skilled jobs and employment. In discussing the importance of education in rising from a middle-skilled to a high-skilled position, his studies identify adjustable scales that society can use to improve people’s socio-economic standing, a core purpose of SEPAIC. By surrounding myself with those who have created large-scale impacts, I would be able to magnify my local endeavors like SEPAIC to a national and international level with the Harvard curriculum.

Outside of the classroom, Harvard also offers an array of services, the immediate stand-out being the Harvard College Consulting Group. To bridge the gap between academics and professional consulting, case teams work with prominent companies to analyze data and construct sales strategies. Through this group, I would be able to improve my leadership, teamwork, and problem-solving skills, and more importantly, the group provides experience in working with and managing large-scale projects and businesses. While the curious fifty students of my first-ever SEPAIC meeting will always hold a special place in my heart, I hope that students across the country could have the opportunity to experience business at an early age. To achieve this dream, the skills provided through a Harvard education, inside and out of the classroom, would be of great assistance.

【紅霞譯文】

〖你希望如何利用大學教育〗

哈佛大學教育將最大程度地完善我的人生使命:幫助周圍人。

我們的公共教育系統優先考慮“核心”科目,不惜割捨像個人財務這樣的生存課程。為了普及高中學生理財認知,我發起了線上“賓州東南地區投資會議”,以我為首的團隊成員邀請來自商務、金融、管理和會計等領域的演講者分享各種的職場經驗。藉助“聚焦”視頻渠道,我們為本校以及附近學區開設了多個場次,每位演講者通常先闡述20分鐘,接下來直入提問環節,以此推進嘉賓與學生的互動。

同學們在好奇心的驅使下紛紛湧入我屏幕上聊天窗口前,說明他們渴望獲取理財知識。在與會者投票民意調查中,我們提出幾個問題,其中包括徵詢將來是否走上商科之路,結果四分之一選擇“不”,我意識到這次會議吸引了不少非商科專業的人士,雖然數量不多,但額外25%的聽眾意味着卅名學生未來在財務上會有更多擔當,為完成本次會議使命做出了貢獻。

通過舉辦賓州東南地區投資會議,我發現給需要機會的人提供機遇至關重要。為求更好地完善自身,我想去哈佛大學深造。致力於培養國民領導力的哈佛大學有很多錦囊妙計,是我追求為民服務道路上不可或缺的法寶,而且我非常渴望師從克里斯托弗·富特教授,他所闡述的公共經濟實踐引人入勝,著作中有關勞動力市場兩極分化對中等技能工作和就業所造成的影響給我留下了深刻印象,並對由中等崗位升至高級職稱引發而來的教育重要性展開了討論,其研究揭示出適於全社會的等級體系,從而改進人們的社會經濟地位,恰好印證了賓州東南地區投資會議宗旨。“近朱者赤”,置身於極具影響力的精英世界,憑藉哈佛打下的夯實基礎,我沒準能把諸如“賓州東南地區投資會議”本地經驗推廣到國內外。

哈佛大學注重課外錘鍊,其中最引人注目的便是哈佛學院顧問集團,為了培養學生理論與實踐相結合,其案例團隊參與知名公司數據分析並制定銷售策略;更重要的是,該集團讓學生從經手大項目、接觸業務中積累經驗,冀求經過潛移默化,我的領導管理、團隊合作、解決問題能力也隨之提高。正因為首次主持“賓州東南地區投資會議”吸引來50名捧場學生令我刻骨銘心,所以我希望全國各地的學生都有機會從小參與經商活動,為了實現這一夢想,我想從哈佛課內外教育學得本領。

2019-06-26_Thomas-Jay-Aiden-Jiger-10001.JPGHome Court (簡易籃球場 06/26/2019)

Crosslink(相關博文):

12th Grade(高中四年級)

0%(0)
0%(0)
標 題 (必選項):
內 容 (選填項):
實用資訊
回國機票$360起 | 商務艙省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出爐:海航獲五星
海外華人福利!在線看陳建斌《三叉戟》熱血歸回 豪情築夢 高清免費看 無地區限制
一周點擊熱帖 更多>>
一周回復熱帖
歷史上的今天:回復熱帖