設萬維讀者為首頁 廣告服務 技術服務 聯繫我們 關於萬維
簡體 繁體 手機版
分類廣告
版主:
萬維讀者網 > 新 大 陸 > 帖子
阿妞不牛:從無家可歸到有緣哈佛的美國女孩
送交者: 阿妞不牛 2012年06月07日21:37:14 於 [新 大 陸] 發送悄悄話

CNN今天報道,北卡州一個無家可歸的女孩,以驚人的毅力逆境成才,靠在學校當勤雜工讀完高中,各科成績全優,今夏高中畢業,獲得哈佛大學獎助學金,今秋將入讀哈佛。

這個女孩的生涯反映出美國一個日益嚴重的社會問題:目前有至少一百六十萬學齡兒童無家可歸。這些孩子的父母,由於社會與自身的各種原因,諸如早育,非婚,離婚,離異,吸毒,艾滋病,失業,犯罪,等等,對家庭與子女不願或者不能盡起碼的義務,拋棄子女,致使他們的孩子無家可歸。儘管美國實行強制普及高中義務教育,但是學校並不能成為育嬰堂托兒所或者青少年收容所,美國社會從政府到民間慈善機構,對這樣日益嚴重的青少年失家流落現象,雖然有不少投入,但也只是杯水車薪,愛莫能助。

這個名叫黎明-珞金絲的女孩,從小就被父母親遺棄在奶奶(外婆?)家。奶奶家也是貧苦甚至愚昧不堪,據她說這個奶奶從來沒教過她要洗澡,經常幾個月不沖涼,一個月也沒衣服換。她到十三歲時母親跟着繼父才把她帶走,然而父母回來了卻還是從來沒有一個像樣的穩定的家。家中經常因為欠費被斷水斷電,她只好向學校老師要蠟燭在家讀書做作業。他們租住的房子常常還因為交不起房租被趕走。她的初中換了三個學校,高中也換了三個。到她升高三時,母親又不辭而別,扔下她和弟弟。

所幸她就讀的中學伸出援手,師生多方關照,讓她有居留之所,同時安排她在學校兼職做一份勤雜工。小黎明黎明即起,早上六點就到學校開始衛生值班,工作滿滿兩個小時之後開始進教室上課。她就這樣,靠着勤奮工作與刻苦學習,不但保持各科學業全優,還贏得了全校師生的讚譽推薦,被哈佛相中錄取,得到了免除學費的獎學金,並提供在校勤工儉學職位作為其生活來源。

這位小姑娘,在接受CNN和當地報刊媒體採訪時,落落大方,樸素平實。 她說,我不怨天尤人。我感激學校和一切幫助我的人。但是,一切要靠自己。

天助自助者。逆境成才,莊敬自強,天下同理。當然,社會需要公理與關愛,如果一昧功利,如果普遍道德淪喪,這樣的成才的孩子背後,在顯現良知的同時,還有一個社會的巨大陰影。

North Carolina high school senior goes from homeless to Harvard

Brainy 18-year-old was adandoned by her parents when she was a child

StumbleUpon
Tumblr
Digg
Reddit
Email
Print
The 18-year old has worked hard all her life to reach this point where her life is full of possibilities.

WBTV.COM/6988KID VIA YOUTUBE

The 18-year old has worked hard all her life to reach this point where her life is full of possibilities.

WBTV.COM/6988KID VIA YOUTUBE

Dawn Loggins of Lawndale, North Carolina, a teen who has lived a life of hardship, has had her dream come true when she received an acceptance letter from Harvard on a partial scholarship.

The bare minimum would be expected for most high school seniors who’ve been abandoned by their parents, slept on friends’ couches and had to work part-time jobs to survive.

But Dawn Loggins, a brainy 18-year-old from North Carolina, dreamed of more: Now, she’s headed for Harvard University in spite of growing up homeless.

Loggins found out two months ago she was accepted to the Ivy League institution and recently visited the campus, she told the Charlotte Observer.

“I wondered how I’d be accepted, being homeless and from a rural area in North Carolina,” she said. “But everyone — the students and faculty — was great. ”

Loggins’ inspirational story caught the attention of CNN, which plans to be at her Burns High School graduation Thursday, the newspaper reported.

Child homelessness is a growing problem, with about 1.6 million U.S. kids without a proper roof over their heads, according to the National Center on Family Homelessness.

Stats are sketchier on how many homeless high school seniors actually move on to college — and earn a prestigious Ivy education to boot.

“There were a lot of things outside Dawn’s control,” Robyn Putnam, a counselor at Burns High in Lawndale, N.C., told The Observer. “But Dawn learned that succeeding in school was something she could control.”

Abandoned by her parents, Loggins and her brother were living with their grandmother. That’s when the teasing started, she told WBTV in Charlotte.

Her grandmother “never really explained to me ... that it was important to shower — it was important to take care of yourself, so I would go months at a time without showering,” Loggins said. “I would wear the same dress to school for months at a time.”

Her mother and a stepfather came back into her life when she turned 13, but they brought little stability, according to reports.

“We were evicted several times,” Loggins told WBTV. “I went to three different middle schools, three different high schools.”

Her parents were unable to pay the utility bills, and there were times the teen did her homework by candlelight, she said.

In March 2010, Loggins’ mother enrolled her at Burns High as a sophomore. By her junior year, her parents skipped town again, but Loggins was taken in by a friend’s mother, according to The Observer.

She took a job as a janitor at her school, arriving for her two-hour shift at 6 a.m. Through it all, she also kept good grades, earning straight A’s and ranking 10th in her class.

At Harvard, she’ll rely on grants and take an on-campus job to pay for her tuition and board, according to reports.

Loggins said she holds no ill-will toward her parents or grandmother, and that she learned a valuable lesson: that having a good work ethic can help overcome adversity.

“There are no excuses,” Loggins told WBTV. “It all depends on you, and no one else.

0%(0)
0%(0)
標 題 (必選項):
內 容 (選填項):
實用資訊
回國機票$360起 | 商務艙省$200 | 全球最佳航空公司出爐:海航獲五星
海外華人福利!在線看陳建斌《三叉戟》熱血歸回 豪情築夢 高清免費看 無地區限制
一周點擊熱帖 更多>>
一周回復熱帖
歷史上的今天:回復熱帖
2011: 真實用意是把教主說成是萬能的神
2011: 森林之城:“四路停”與“路路停”