简体 繁体 手机版
分类广告
版主:红树林
万维读者网 > 五 味 斋 > 帖子
Community Service(社区服务)
送交者: 儿歌荟萃 2021年05月04日14:22:24 于 [五 味 斋] 发送悄悄话

2021-04-26

【Aiden in English】

〖Columbia students take an active role in improving their community, whether in their residence hall, classes or throughout New York City. Their actions, small or large, work to positively impact the lives of others. Share one contribution that you have made to your family, school, friend group or another community that surrounds you. (200 words or fewer) 〗

During middle school and high school, I have volunteered at the Greater Philadelphia Chinese Cultural Center (GPCCC). Its mission is to promote cultural understanding among Philadelphia’s citizens. As the lead Chinese yoyo-ist, I have traveled to various venues around Philadelphia with my team to perform tricks with the spinning diabolos, from a local church’s New Year’s gala to Philadelphia Travel & Adventure Show or Lansdale International Spring Festival. 

In the moments before each performance, I can always distinguish a faint murmur and giggles trickling through the crowds. It’s understandable, after all, when they see a row of young teens dressed in oriental costumes wielding sticks with strings and saucers; however, all commotion dies when the background track begins and my yoyo starts swinging. 

After our performances, I often entertain young children with my diabolos while their parents explore the GPCCC materials. I teach them how to get the yoyo started, supporting the oversized sticks in their small hands. 

“Cooooooool,” they say when the yoyos start to hum.

Through this, I have made connections to people from diverse backgrounds and shared some of my own experiences with them. By broadening our perspectives, we have been able to create a stronger, more understanding community.

【红霞译文】

〖无论是在学生宿舍、课堂还是纽约市区,哥伦比亚大学学生踊跃投入改善社区活动之中。无论贡献大小,其所作所为都会对他人的生活产生积极影响。请分享你对家人、学校、朋友圈或周围社区所做的贡献。(不超过 200 个字)〗

初高中期间,我曾于大费城华人文化中心做义工,旨在促进当地居民对文化元素的理解。作为空竹队主力,我和队友们一起走进费城地区进行高抛背溜上竿等娱乐表演,足迹遍及附近的教堂春晚、费城旅游展及兰斯代尔春季国际节。

每次表演前,我总能隐约听到观众窃窃私语并不时发出咯咯欢笑,尤其当看到身穿民族服装的年轻人手持棍棒双轮空竹的时候。然而,一旦配乐声起响铃飞舞,会场立刻变得鸦雀无声。

表演结束后,我经常用空竹接待随同父母前来参观大费城文化中心的孩子,变换各种招式逗他们开心。我把大棍放到小不点手中,哄他们如何把空竹悠起来。

“酉…告…酷…”,当空竹开始嗡嗡作响,他们激动不已。

我借此机会接触到不同背景的人,并分享自己的收获,藉之拓宽视野,这样大家才能共建一个更加紧密、相互理解的社区。

Today in History(历史上的今天):

2014: Spring Soccer Game II(春季足球之二)

2016-03-19_1300001.JPGGood Luck @ Philadelphia Travel & Adventure Show 

(费城旅游展·好运来 03-19-2016)

Crosslink(相关博文):

12th Grade(高中四年级)

0%(0)
0%(0)
标 题 (必选项):