簡體 繁體 手機版
分類廣告
版主:紅樹林
萬維讀者網 > 五 味 齋 > 帖子
Community Service(社區服務)
送交者: 兒歌薈萃 2021年05月04日14:22:24 於 [五 味 齋] 發送悄悄話

2021-04-26

【Aiden in English】

〖Columbia students take an active role in improving their community, whether in their residence hall, classes or throughout New York City. Their actions, small or large, work to positively impact the lives of others. Share one contribution that you have made to your family, school, friend group or another community that surrounds you. (200 words or fewer) 〗

During middle school and high school, I have volunteered at the Greater Philadelphia Chinese Cultural Center (GPCCC). Its mission is to promote cultural understanding among Philadelphia’s citizens. As the lead Chinese yoyo-ist, I have traveled to various venues around Philadelphia with my team to perform tricks with the spinning diabolos, from a local church’s New Year’s gala to Philadelphia Travel & Adventure Show or Lansdale International Spring Festival. 

In the moments before each performance, I can always distinguish a faint murmur and giggles trickling through the crowds. It’s understandable, after all, when they see a row of young teens dressed in oriental costumes wielding sticks with strings and saucers; however, all commotion dies when the background track begins and my yoyo starts swinging. 

After our performances, I often entertain young children with my diabolos while their parents explore the GPCCC materials. I teach them how to get the yoyo started, supporting the oversized sticks in their small hands. 

“Cooooooool,” they say when the yoyos start to hum.

Through this, I have made connections to people from diverse backgrounds and shared some of my own experiences with them. By broadening our perspectives, we have been able to create a stronger, more understanding community.

【紅霞譯文】

〖無論是在學生宿舍、課堂還是紐約市區,哥倫比亞大學學生踴躍投入改善社區活動之中。無論貢獻大小,其所作所為都會對他人的生活產生積極影響。請分享你對家人、學校、朋友圈或周圍社區所做的貢獻。(不超過 200 個字)〗

初高中期間,我曾於大費城華人文化中心做義工,旨在促進當地居民對文化元素的理解。作為空竹隊主力,我和隊友們一起走進費城地區進行高拋背溜上竿等娛樂表演,足跡遍及附近的教堂春晚、費城旅遊展及蘭斯代爾春季國際節。

每次表演前,我總能隱約聽到觀眾竊竊私語並不時發出咯咯歡笑,尤其當看到身穿民族服裝的年輕人手持棍棒雙輪空竹的時候。然而,一旦配樂聲起響鈴飛舞,會場立刻變得鴉雀無聲。

表演結束後,我經常用空竹接待隨同父母前來參觀大費城文化中心的孩子,變換各種招式逗他們開心。我把大棍放到小不點手中,哄他們如何把空竹悠起來。

“酉…告…酷…”,當空竹開始嗡嗡作響,他們激動不已。

我藉此機會接觸到不同背景的人,並分享自己的收穫,藉之拓寬視野,這樣大家才能共建一個更加緊密、相互理解的社區。

Today in History(歷史上的今天):

2014: Spring Soccer Game II(春季足球之二)

2016-03-19_1300001.JPGGood Luck @ Philadelphia Travel & Adventure Show 

(費城旅遊展·好運來 03-19-2016)

Crosslink(相關博文):

12th Grade(高中四年級)

0%(0)
0%(0)
標 題 (必選項):